Yankee Candle TSV 02/11/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Can you remove the ugly label easily ? Why do they call them 'Yankee" ? Isn't that a name used for the Northern troops during the US Civil War ? I think it's derogatory. There's an old song, 'Yankee, Doodle, Dandy,' which is not derogatory. Now, I've confused myself. I'd better Google it. However, I still don't like the name or the label. Harry Slatkin labels are horrible, as well. (I asked Rosa once if the labels could be removed, but she didn't respond.)

Can you remove the ugly label easily ? Why do they call them 'Yankee" ? Isn't that a name used for the Northern troops during the US Civil War ? I think it's derogatory. There's an old song, 'Yankee, Doodle, Dandy,' which is not derogatory. Now, I've confused myself. I'd better Google it. However, I still don't like the name or the label. Harry Slatkin labels are horrible, as well. (I asked Rosa once if the labels could be removed, but she didn't respond.)
yes they just peel off but i know most people perfer them left on

Since decorating our lounge we no longer burn Yankee Candles have a Neom diffuser and Neom pod in the bedroom. So another TSV will not be purchasing.

I have loads stockpiled so probably don’t need more. Then again with the power cuts being prophesied could come in very handy, light with a nice smell. 😁

I find the labels peel away quite easily, the worst ones to remove are on Vineyard Candles which is a shame because they are amazing & the half wine bottles that they're in make great vases. Michael Kittredge & the friends who started the company with him didn't give a reason, it may well be that 52 years ago people weren't offended by the name. It was General Wolfe who called the soldiers under his command Yankees & there are several reasons; the most logical being that these men were from New England, descended from Dutch settlers & many had given names of Jan, with J being pronounced Y, & Kees. Good grief, that's taken me back to one of the lessons I taught about names in common usage.

Power cuts no when?
Imminent according to the dratted Project Fear obsessed media.

I find the labels peel away quite easily, the worst ones to remove are on Vineyard Candles which is a shame because they are amazing & the half wine bottles that they're in make great vases. Michael Kittredge & the friends who started the company with him didn't give a reason, it may well be that 52 years ago people weren't offended by the name. It was General Wolfe who called the soldiers under his command Yankees & there are several reasons; the most logical being that these men were from New England, descended from Dutch settlers & many had given names of Jan, with J being pronounced Y, & Kees. Good grief, that's taken me back to one of the lessons I taught about names in common usage.
Thank you for the info. I found it very interesting.

I honestly thought Yankee just meant American, in the way that Scouser refers to someone from Liverpool.
It does mean 'American', but this is a stereotypical description, and sometimes has a slightly uncomplimentary use, as in 'those yanks!' etc. It is not, however, offensive. Yankee is also a description of an American from New England, where Yankee Candle are, of course, based.

Latest posts

Back