Bored Of Qvc

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I got into watching QVC a lot when I was single, working horrendous hours, permanently exhausted, and then came down with a bout of flu. I couldn't make it up the stairs so for 3 days I lay on the sofa with QVC chuntering reassuringly in the background. It was effortless company and stopped me feeling too sorry for myself.

Nowadays I have it on in the background, and leave it on as company for the dog when we are out. Don't watch much, but am peripherally aware, and focus in if something interests me.

I wish they showed more variety, but I suppose they follow the money - if a show generates huge sales, they'll repeat. If a brand doesn't sell, it doesn't return. Simple economics.

I was watching late last night and flicked over to qvc and caught spend spend spend DFlint talking about the miele washing mc and dish dryer etc and good as they are i found it quite amusing listening to her saying just get it try it as though she was asking us to spend £20 quid instead of the best part of £1000 quid most ordinary working people would struggle to spend £2 or £3 hundred on a washing mc could not help a little chuckle.

There's the odd thing that catches my eye, but it is getting very samey and some of the presenters that shout, rather than talk grinds my gears and I change channel. I enjoy some of the skincare and makeup dependant upon which presenter is on with guests.

The 'Kits' are really getting on my nerves, there is always somethig that you never use and in order to buy the bits you do use you have to buy the bits you don't! I'm talking about LG and Mally. I've just chucked a load of stuff out I just wouldn't use because there are a couple of items in the kit that you need at the time and you can't buy anywhere else and by the time you've bought each one individually plus the seperate P&P for each item. The kits then make more sense, because they are usually cheaper and you save on all the P&P's.

Lipsticks are my thing, I always find one that really suits me, but you can only get it as part of a kit beit a full makeup kit or a lipstick package or duo, where there's another lipstick you wouldn't use...why oh why can't they put together a package of the same colour, say 2 x red, or 2 x pink, whatever colours, I wouldn't mind buying them then.

even Kipling is getting expensive on there....the exclusives are expensive if you ask me....I'm sticking to Amazon and eBay....rtherapy ..bagables..pebblesonline .....getmethat bag...bags direct...i bought my Liz earl on their triple pack of tonic as i adore it but nothing doing these days.....i used to love the Kipling shows and didn't even mind waiting a week for them to arrive!!

I was watching late last night and flicked over to qvc and caught spend spend spend DFlint talking about the miele washing mc and dish dryer etc and good as they are i found it quite amusing listening to her saying just get it try it as though she was asking us to spend £20 quid instead of the best part of £1000 quid most ordinary working people would struggle to spend £2 or £3 hundred on a washing mc could not help a little chuckle.

That woman is shameless.

I used to watch a lot, but for the past couple of years hardly ever tune in. I think the problems are these:-

They have lost some premium brands like Aveda, Prescriptives, Molton Brown and Smashbox. They have replaced these with some small boutiquey 'quirky' brands, but they are missing some real glamour. I personally don't like Mally (annoying) or Laura Gellar (cheap looking packaging), YBF (both). Bobbi Brown is pretty much the only beauty brand they have that I rate. Maybe some of the nail brands like Leighton Denny and Ciate, but that's about it.

The fix would to be to get some top end brands that are known for quality, but hard to source outside of major cities. Laura Mercier is an obvious one as this is already sold on Ebay US - and it's a huge range with cosmetics, skincare and lovely bath stuff. Nars is another brand I really love and would allow for some fab on screen makeovers.

Jewellery is another category I used to watch a lot. To be fair this has probably been cut back a fair bit by the downturn in the economy over the last 5 years or so, plus the price of gold has been so high. Even so, they don't help themselves much - they got Links of London in who have some lovely pieces yet seem to stick mainly to the chavvy sweeties bracelet types items.

Oh ps - the quality of presenters seem to have plummeted - I have no time for Debbie Flint - hard as nails, ought to be on a market stall, Jill Franks, totally insincere, and most of newbies seem very inarticulate, annoying and shouty.

the problem from my perspective is that it isn't just that it's the same brands.... it's that they are on rotation. you can predict when they are going to be on, without looking at a tv guide.

I know qvc wants that... so they can pull those punters in. but I miss the days of them having one off product hours. for example... when they would have an hour of footy memorabilia.... and it would literally be like twice or three times a year, but also on other niche sports, industries etc.

rather then ''oh it's Friday night.... it's either going to be foundation or an I-pad''

I have said this a number of times, say even up to 10 years ago QVC where it. Great brands, great prices and great variety. But so many are online now, even pensioners(many are online), so can surf and find the deals elsewhere. With the crash in the US as well as the UK, QVC pulled back and decided to stick with what sold and made money from them. They might dip a toe in the water with new brands, but if they don't cut it then disappear very quickly.

Gold prices went up so that was cut back on jewellery shows, silver jewellery on QVC UK is what we used to pay for gold. I can remember buying gemstone rings(and I don't mean the amber and moonstone), amethyst, morganite all under £90 some £30-45. You would be lucky to get a silver ring for that now.

Cosmetics many brands don't want or need to come to QVC(might be the 30 day MBG???), they are widely available in say SpaceNK(it has shops up and down the UK. We have two in Belfast) or department stores. Nars appeared for a very short period on QVC US with a few products, then went quickly QVC US community board 99% couldn't even bring themselves to write Orgasm the best selling blush from Nars. They just called it That Blusher or O.:mysmilie_19: Nars is owned by Shiseido which did not do well on QVC UK, it came and went then came and went and came and went. Look at Becca big build up and one product nothing since. Bobbi Brown apart from the odd kit you pay the same price as on a counter, with of course the added postage from QVC.

The household stuff seems to repeat even when it gets bad reviews. TVs etc most love John Lewis are they give free extended guarantees, 5 years I believe. People want these sort of things. Not the hassle of waiting for delivery from QVC and mad shipping they charge. The electronics it seems to offer products that people say but the newer model is due out in a month, don't buy that one from QVC on Facebook its going to be out of date very shortly.

All you see on Facebook and here as well, is when is easy pay, will that be on easy pay. QVC is now more like the old style catalogues like Freemans and Kays, you pay by the month and pay more for it than if you shopped around and paid up front. Okay a rare occasion you will get a deal. I bought the bog standard original Kindle before Christmas with the extras and it did work out cheaper than Amazon even with the shipping!!!! Yes I was shocked as I added it up on Amazon and then on QVC. The four easy pay was great too. I had been considering buying one and as I just wanted to read didn't need or want the bells and whistles, or course Amazon where about to release the new Paper White version and the Kindle Fire HD. The reviews are all 5 star but you can only see these if you bought the Kindle and can go through your order history to the item number. The Kindle Fire which was the TSV and ordinary have never appeared again. Amazon just want to shift a load of older products quickly and that is what QVC did for them.

I agree with so many of the comments that have been made . I was 'addicted ' to QVC several years ago but now find it boring . I just wonder if it's normal to experience ' burn out ' after a time . I mistrust the beauty programmes as how can all the products be absolutely wonderful ? It often seems to be lots of sales talk , often delivered at 90 miles/hour !
Most of my purchases come from the Birchwood outlet anyhow . I must give a favourable mention to the set of microfibre kitchen cloths ( ? Prepology ) . They are absolutey fabulous , even as tea towels if one doesn't own a dishwasher !

Add me to the bored category. I no longer put it on for background noise and rarely watch on spec. I only buy yankee candles and jewellery. Have bought a couple of household things which are expensive for what they are but I wanted them at the time so can't complain.
I check here for up coming bargains and the QVC TV guide for the shows I like I tend not to buy things I haven't heard of from QVC unless I catch the show or read good reviews about it.

The shouty hard sell approach is a definite deterrent to me even if I like a product. It makes me feel manipulated and I resent it to the point I turn the TV off . Same goes for extortionate P&p charges and long delivery times and items always being out of stock.

Last edited:
When I was busy with a full time job QVC was great as I didn't have the time to shop around but now I'm home I have all the time in the world, I wouldn't buy anything from them anymore.

I have it on but my ordering has gone to a trickle! The only thing I have ordered in recent months is the Slendertone face TSV because of the extended MBG. VERY little 'grabs' me these days, the good news is that my bank balance is looking much more healthy with money to spend on other things.( & having changed my supermarket shopping from Tesco to Aldi things are def. looking good!!)

As a male i used to enjoy techie and gardening and diy but now as far as gardening is concerned it's the RJ show, diy it's Simon Biaggi who they seem to think is some sort of expert although as a tradesman myself i find him a pain in the neck, and techie shows used to sell tvs dvd players etc now its all tablets etc .

When QVC started it was fun to view but over the years it has changed from a shopping channel to a WOMANS CHANNEL men are not a concern for QVC infact i think QVC is a sexist anti-male channel.

I've just come across this thread, and I've just wrote something similar in the Elemis TSV thread - I ordered the TSV, I'm over the moon with it, but I didn't actually watch any of the shows from Sunday. I've realised that since I've discovered this forum, I've been watching QVC less and less.

I love the forum as I've learned so much ...reviews etc ....and the hilarious posts a tonic :mysmilie_17:....I'm still grateful for the heads up on certain items and better quality in the high street etc ...:mysmilie_12:

I've just come across this thread, and I've just wrote something similar in the Elemis TSV thread - I ordered the TSV, I'm over the moon with it, but I didn't actually watch any of the shows from Sunday. I've realised that since I've discovered this forum, I've been watching QVC less and less.

I agree with you about the forum but do think it is a combination of things. The change in selling techniques and repetition of brands have put me off, plus I use the iPad so no need to watch the channel so much. I always had it on in the background but don't really bother doing that now and a lot of the shows I do want to watch I record so I can skip through the bad bits.

I put it down to my menopausal midlife state lol ...most things i get impatient and bored with lately...and when hormonal i seem to have a radar when BS is being spouted ....the Charlie Bears show was really getting on my nerves ....feeling for the partner of Charlie of course no question ....but those bears ....another product i cant jump up and down about but then I think its my midlife crisis :mysmilie_17:

I put it down to my menopausal midlife state lol ...most things i get impatient and bored with lately...and when hormonal i seem to have a radar when BS is being spouted ....the Charlie Bears show was really getting on my nerves ....feeling for the partner of Charlie of course no question ....but those bears ....another product i cant jump up and down about but thence I think its my midlife crisis :mysmilie_17:

How funny you should mention bears, menopause (never ending!!!!) and midlife crisis in one post. I had a few Steiff bears and other toys collected from biz trips to Germany over the years which have just gone to the charity shop as I am decluttering but with no particular plan or method!

a lot of the shows I do want to watch I record so I can skip through the bad bits.

This is what I have always done - I record the shows and watch the presentation of the TSV and then any other products I'm interested in that I haven't seen before. I usually watch all of the Alison Young's Beauty Fix though (from record), as I like to know about different products, techniques etc. The only time I've sat and watched live was 3 days last month when I was off work sick. I watched all my regular tv shows I had recorded and then I out QVC on while I lay on my sofa feeling sorry for myself. lol!

Latest posts

Back