Molton Brown - gone from QVC!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I will miss the Christmas tsv :( I have bought a few bits from eBay in the past but it was either old stock which was not good or fake, I was staggered to hear that there was fake MB knocking about.

Yes Sazza is correct Japanese company bought Molton Brown about two years ago. Since then the prices have kept going up and they have discontinued the makeup range

Its like when Aveda was bought over by Estee Lauder, the TSVs stopped and only the odd show now appears.

I think Molton Brown is now aiming for the whole lifestyle brand thing.
No I won't miss them on QVC, we have three shops in Belfast as it is.
Can't see QVC being able to stop them leaving if their last contract to fill was the christmas TSV.

Maybe they will reappear just for a Christmas TSV. If they can sell 80 thousand plus sets on one day, everyone can make a lot of money from that so an annual appearance would be good.

Shooting themselves in foot

I think MB are shooting themselves in the foot.

I predict their overall UK sales will fall if off air.
Shopping on the TV is often opportunistic , they will not get the same exposure in stores.
MB in my local dept stores is hidden down the back - it's not easily seen if walking through the shop.

They would never have got to the UK audience that they have without the affordability of QVC TSVs. I expect they have got a lot of customers who buy odd bits from them ,but are likely to change allegiance to another QVC kept brand where they can buy more cheaply than the high street.
You just have to look at Philosophy to see what impact being on QVC can have. I see more and more being stocked in JL etc - I doubt that would be the case without QVC exposure.

Can't say I'm bothered though,I haven't bought the last few TSVs 'cos am actually getting bored with their lack of innovation and don't actually like most of the new fragrances that they have bought out. And hate HGL!
Of note the last TSVs haven't sold out and they seem to flog them forever. Won't miss that either!

You make some good points sued. If it hadn't been for the exposure that QVC gave to MB (and other brands, e.g. Liz Earle, L'Occitane, Bare Escentuals) I would never have become an all too-frequent user.

Apart from the TSVs, QVC may not be the cheapest place to source products but surely it must be where so many of us make our first purchases and then become regular users.

I always bought several of the Christmas TSVs as add-ons to mum and MILs Christmas pressies, I will miss that and that alone, as they were excellent value for money!

MB will have surely killed the Golden Goose if they are no longer going to sell on QVC.

All of a sudden I'm beginning to want another 7 piece Radiance collection :D

Molton Brown will definately lose alot of money by not selling on QVC, the Molton Brown shops are always empty, most high street buyers are looking to pay 99p for their shower gels not £16.00 per bottle and the MB shops dont do any kind of kits either. What are the Japanese thinking of, QVC was the main supplier of Molton Brown, and what about the customers of QVC that dont get out much or cant get to the shops, what will they do now.

I think L'occitane and Philosphy will now make even more money as People will turn more to their bath products on QVC. I think it was a stupid Business move.

All of a sudden I'm beginning to want another 7 piece Radiance collection :D

:D:D

Perhaps QVC are hoping the rumour machine will cause a rush to buy the Radiance collection and all the stock will fly out! They seem to be sellong that one at every opportunity.

I bought one too....... And I like it. :eek:

Last edited:
I am wondering if MB are not offering QVC the good deals they used to? The christmas TSV and others where always worked out a year before they appeared.

MB have a set on offer at the moment of 50mls sizes in a kit, sorry I didn't pay attention to them. But anyway in HoF they are flying off the shelves it seems. The person who told me doesn't even work for MB too.

The last TSV I bought was christmas 2006. I remember when they where fabulous, skincare and bath products.

MB are far too expensive individually for my pocket, if they don't do the TSV I won't bother at all.

What a shame - I've had MB as pressies (not bought from QVC, perhaps my friend gave the shops what sounds like a rare sales opportunity!) and it is nice. But it is a bit expensive for an impulse purchase. I wouldn't think you'd be passing the shop and wander in to grab a bottle.

Perhaps the new buyers thought that stopping the flow from QVC would improve footfall in the shops but I'd have thought the opposite was true. I see plenty of things on QVC that I buy elsewhere but I wouldn't have considered purchasing them without the exposure on the TV first. Especially in the era of the 'credit crunch', it surely makes first time or experimental purchases less likely particularly if they are at the more extravagant end of the price range!

Last edited:
I agree with all others that say the MB shops are always empty. That includes the one in Regent Street!
They must shift more in one QVC Christmas TSV than they do in a month in all the shops!

We are about to head into a recession and I can't believe that this Japanese company have got their marketing strategy so wrong. When the credit crunch hits, one of the first things will be that people will cut down on luxury items such as liquid soaps and bubble baths and trade down. If they want to cut off their nose to spite their face, it's their funeral! MB need to get their products out there selling not sticking their noses up at QVC who are their biggest customer.

Incidentally, L'Occitane opened a new shop in Reading in the past month. The prices are horrendous, no one goes in and all the staff seem to do is dust the bottles.

I'm sure MB will be well-missed from QVC.

Latest posts

Back