Problem skin.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
[mum writes]

I'm hoping a fellow forumite may be able to offer some advice. I've recently had a very stressful time and also eye surgery, the results of which have made my face flare up terribly. Lots of pigmentation, sore red patches, spots and all sorts. During the eye op, the surgeon used this sticky pad, which was ripped off my face at the end and has caused some sort of capillary damage, as well as removing an eyebrow! When I do something as simple as tweeze a hair, I end up getting a small blood blister. I've tried several "cover up" type make-ups, but nothing has worked so far. Can anyone recommend something that has good coverage but doesn't go on like cement? Nothing wants to seem to stay on my skin right now and I'm at my wits' end. I use SPF first thing in the morning and have been using Alpha-H's rejuenvating night cream. Alpha-H is normally too strong for my skin but I thought this might help, but I'm worried I'm overdoing it. I usually stick to Decleor and good oils, which I love. I was going to try the Elemis SOS cream but am finding that the price has jumped so high since I last used it. Any advice would be great, thanks! :)

Oh you poor thing. It sounds like you are really going through it. If l were you l would be very wary about using lots of things and l would possibly consider a trip to the doctors to see what he/she can suggest. I hope you soon feel better.

I agree with Whitesnake. It sounds as if you don`t need any kind of cosmetic creams but pharmaceutical ones prescribed by your Doc, especially after having a medical procedure. Better being safe than sorry, especially if there`s a risk of infection. Worth a quick trip to him/her I`d say.

Agree. Go to the doctor. Alpha H stuff is probably too strong and products with oils will not be good either. Hope your skin improves soon

I would ask the doc for a cream to calm the bruised capillaries and hair follicles on the brow. Forget cosmetic creams for now and make up and rest the skin as much as possible. What an awful experience for you, hope you heal very, very quickly.

What a bleeding stupid surgeon, he did the op, the rest is not important. Stupid person.
I remember from a documentary that after a face lift patients were asked to use vitamin E on their faces a couple of weeks.
Vitamin A is healing as well especially on scars. Arnica comes to mind for bruising and I had success of healing a bruise with L’Occitane Precious due to Immortelle in it.Chamomile and Calendula are calming, Calendula is healing as well.
Neem oil is healing as well as antibacterial as well as stinky.
I also found that LG B&B covers well as it sticks to the skin, I was using it for my bruise.
Hoping for your speedy recovery.

I do feel for you, I expect you try to avoid going out atm, I wouldn't put anything else on your face until you have seen your Doctor. I had a biopsy on my chin years ago and I felt very self conscious for a long time, the scar is still there but I rarely think about it now.
Hope you get something that will help very soon.

When my skin went doolally big time I couldn't even use E45 cream. A pharmacist recommended aqueous cream or Double Base. I prefer DB but both are very gentle and both available from a pharmacy. Both can be used to cleanse and moisturise. Hope that helps.

I would certainly get medical advice but I'm wondering about prolagene gel as you are familiar with decleor products.

. . . .Arnica comes to mind for bruising . . . .

Arnica is fantastic for bruising. I had to have a hole half an inch wide drilled in the back of my skull during surgery a couple of years ago, and I was heavily bruised right down the side of my face, round the chin and all down my neck. My surgeon was amazed by how quickly the bruising dispersed by my using arnica gel and cream.

L'occitane Precious makes a marked difference too, the bruise started to lighten the next day.

I would certainly get medical advice but I'm wondering about prolagene gel as you are familiar with decleor products.

Yes I wondered about Prolagene as AY always mentions it started off for people with burns etc. And arnica I agree is marvellous for bruising, so would SBC have anything other than the gel? I have broken capillaries on my cheek and nothing seems to help with them. I rather think that once they have gone, you have to resort to concealer. Benefit boing and doll10 (fab value when in the duo) are my favourites. What a nightmare though! As if getting over an op isn't enough to deal with. I hope all is well very soon.

A think that arnica gel (not sbc) or a salve can be found in health shops and are reasonably priced.

[mum writes]

Thank you all for your responses and good wishes :) I actually used Prolagene this morning so I hope that might help. Unfortunately, I have come to know my GP as Dr Doolittle - think about it for a minute! The best advice I got about my eyebrow was to shave the other one off so at least it looked balanced. Hmm, very helpful, not. That was coming from my sister who simply thinks I'm being vain and doesn't touch makeup herself.

Thanks again though, that's given me some ideas to try :)

So sorry to hear this Moth! I agree with arnica Gel ....superdrug sell it and I recemmend to elderly neighbour whom I thought would say it was rubbish lol ...he raved about it as he had had a fall and had a very bad bruised face bless him...he was so pleased it helped heal him ....I wish you luck and best wishes with your recovery ...you need to treat yourself !! :hi:

What is your local Pharmacist like? Quite often you get more sense out of them than you do the actual GPs. I have to say my surgery is beyond hopeless so l do know how you feel.

the Alpha H Rejuvenating Cream has glocolic acid and vit c in it,
and it sounds too much for your skin in its sore and fragile state
and would make capilliares and redness worse

from what you described and if i were in your shoes
i would get in touch and describe your issues to the lovely peeps at Paiskincare.com
they know everything about sensitive, irritated skin, skin conditions, allergies, skin that needs healing and how to go about it
and can give proper advice (just send them an email)
but for a start, have a look here : http://www.paiskincare.com/anti-redness-hypersensitive-18/
and also have a look around the blog section
btw their rosehip oil is the best and purest i have ever tried
and fantastic for gentle healing
best of luck to you

I agree with the principle advice - go see your doctor. Shame on the surgeon for just ripping off a dressing around such a delicate area.

For dealing with the situation you're experiencing you do need professional advice... although I'm sure you're a little wary at present. If your GP can get you a referral to a dermatologist or similar that would be best. Meanwhile, you should keep your skincare to an absolute minimum, and very simple. No fragrances, nothing harsh. But also, if you are using anything your skin has not had used on it before, don't forget to patch test.

If your skin is still broken, don't use arnica. It's ok for topical application on unbroken skin, but not on broken skin. Also if skin is still broken make sure you are not using anything which sheds (so no cotton wool, for example).

Good luck!

I'm reading about colloidal minerals at the moment and colloidal silver is supposed to have healing properties on the skin.
I think it's been a few days after the event and I'm hoping the Moth's mum is getting better by now.

Latest posts

Back