What a routine!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

@ArtDeco I like Weleda products as they are 100% natural. May I suggest their SkinFood for your hands. Very rich for the back of your hands; a little goes a very long way. And I use Weleda Calendula baby products as a general lotion, very soothing. Great for babies not just this old lady. Google SkinFood and it's recommended by celebrities and models; and Aunty Snarly too. LOL

Call me an old cynic if you want, I don't care that's who I am, but I have several issues with the whole skincare/ cosmetic industry.

Quite honestly I think the promotion of layering products & selecting creams/ serums for specific areas - throat, eyes etc - is nothing more than a huge money spinner.
My rule of thumb is if a product is too toxic to put near your eyes, then it's too harsh to put on your face.

Worse, the sheer cocktail of potent ingredients people are putting on their skin must be, in part, responsible for the reported rise in skin sensitivity. Just look at what they claim to do! Try googling some of these magic ingredients - you hit the pages of the wonder cream time after time and only the wonder cream. The ingredient does not exist outside the trademark.

The use of -
cleaning/ foaming agents - the same ones they use to clean car engines (sodium laurel sulphate);
fragrances - whether chemical or natural. Some plants are irritants ( lavender, lemon, lime, rose flower oil);
preservatives - in some instances the same stuff they use to preserve dead bodies (formaldehyde)
It's staggering.

Anyway, I'm not going to go on.
I've said my piece, this article says it better
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ja/2011/467071/

In other words Minim...at best it's mostly a load of old bollox, at worst it's potentially downright harmful. Posted by Another Old Cynic, but one without a hugely expensive, complicated skin care routine, but one with great skin using budget products and common sense. :sun:

Maybe some people enjoy a bit of pampering as part of their otherwise busy day.

If you're allergic, don't buy it.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

If you can afford it but would rather buy something else, that's up to you.

But please lay off with the "no common sense" allegation. Each to their own.

Interesting thread. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. routine. Only water on my fizog in the morning with a brisk drying from a towel, to get the blood circulating. If its sunny......what sun?......I pop on a small squirt of Philosophy 'the supernatural' tinted SPF 15, it goes on like a dream and being lightly tinted gives an excellent even finish.

Night time, makeup comes off with a Nivea/Garnier face wipe and on goes a little night ant-ageing moisturiser (Alpha-H was very nice) and Simply eye cream. The backs of my hands get the works with a dose of Gatineau Age Benefit concentrate. C'est tout!

But we're all different......:happy:

Sacha, another one with common sense and better things to spend her money on. :wink:

Look at it this way PPC ~ if it wasn't for us folks with no common sense spending our hard earned subbing the rest of you (and let's face it ,without selling their lotions and potions qvc would probably collapse) who sit on your hands, QVC would have to shut up shop then what would we all have to talk about? :mysmilie_849:

Last edited:
Of course, spend what you like ... though sometimes, it only takes a bit of goggling

Liz Earle Cleanse/Polish Duo
QVC Price £27.00 (200ml - £13.50 per 100ml)

Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide

Nspa Hot Cloth Polish (Asda)
£6.00 Asda (150ml - £4.00 per 100ml)

Aqua , Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter , Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride , Cetearyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Cetyl Esters , Polysorbate 60 , Sorbitan Stearate , Propylene Glycol , Cera Alba , Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil , Parfum , Panax Ginseng Root Extract , Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Oil , Persea Gratissima Oil , Citrus Aurantium Flower Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Sodium Benzoate , 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1 , 3-Diol , Potassium Sorbate , Potassium Hydroxide , Disodium EDTA , Citric Acid , Linalool , Limonene .

Same with -
Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate - Lancome
£56.00 (price per 100ml: £186,67)

Water, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Glycerin, Alcohol Denatured, Dimethicone, Hydoxyethylpiperazine, Ethane Sulfonic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethenol, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sequistrate, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Salicycloyl Phytosphingosine, Ammonium Polyacrylinethyltauranide/Ammonium Polyacrylolydimethytaurate, Limonene, Xanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Octydodecanol, Citric Acid, Citronellol, Fragrance

Youth Code Serum Intense Daily Treatment - L’Oreal
£25.52 (Boots - price per 100ml £85.07 )

Water, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Glycerin, Alcohol Denatured, Dimethicone, Hydroxyethylpiperazine Ethane Sulfonic Acid, Peg-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Salicyloyl Phytosphingosine, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Adenosine, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide, Disodium Edta, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Chrysin, Octyldodecanol, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Fragrance

I really rather enjoy my skincare 'routine' although of course I am totally aware that it's not entirely necessary as I'm not daft enough to believe that it's all going to make me 10 years younger....I just like the ritual as I find it calming on my anxious days. On my very bad days I have to force myself to at least cleanse and slap on whatever moisturiser is to hand but it's not nearly as enjoyable!

I don't go on holiday/smoke/drink/drive so any bit of spare money goes on my cat, my house & garden and my face. Having mentioned gardening now I just know someone is going to say I might as well rub compost onto my face??!! Mind you isn't that what the 'active soil complex' is in Bare Minerals night treatment? :grin:

I really rather enjoy my skincare 'routine' although of course I am totally aware that it's not entirely necessary as I'm not daft enough to believe that it's all going to make me 10 years younger....I just like the ritual as I find it calming on my anxious days. On my very bad days I have to force myself to at least cleanse and slap on whatever moisturiser is to hand but it's not nearly as enjoyable!

I don't go on holiday/smoke/drink/drive so any bit of spare money goes on my cat, my house & garden and my face. Having mentioned gardening now I just know someone is going to say I might as well rub compost onto my face??!! Mind you isn't that what the 'active soil complex' is in Bare Minerals night treatment? :grin:

netscat...I think you just might have hit the nail on the head there!!

Wow, lots of inspiration/ideas from all your posts. Kicking myself for not getting the EH TSV just to try the eye serum.
My routine, always extremely simple till I discovered QVC, then used the whole LE range religiously, and flirted with philosophy Hope moisturiser (too smelly) and A'KIN (gorgeous).
A.M. cleanse with Ackin rose & getanium creamy cleanser or Naked skin (budget, 97% natural, available in Superdrug)
Wipe over with cotton pad and LE IBST, or splash with cold water.
Massage a drop of rosehip oil into forehead lines.
Moisturise face and neck with Naked skin Thirst Aid moisturiser.
Garnier serum under eyes.
Then LG real deal concealer, BnB, LG blush, Avon, Bonnie Brown or CID eyeliners, all equally as good and whateverclip gloss I have on the go.
P.M, remove makeup with A'KIN cleanser, LE IBST, 4 drops of A'KIN cellular radiance oil all over my face (also love the AD Skin Synergy one), EH moringa balm on my cuticles, hand and feet (trying to usebit up as gives me eczema if used on my face) and fall into bed.
Once a week use a body scrub on hands and feet, face mask (A'kin) or LE exfoliator and olive oil/ almond oil treatment in my hair.
I think this is quite a simple routine, but I know I take too long on my make-up! Really envy folks with the confidence to go make-up free!
Moneynwise...try to get TSVs and offers.
Timewise...waste far too much time reading reviews, researching products....in short I am a bit obsessed.

Reading all this makes me think it's more about the enjoyment of using products than the belief they'll keep us looking 25 for the rest of our lives. I have in the past spent a fortune, allowing myself to be brainwashed by AY and the various guests but now realise you can use really lovely products for a fraction of the price. Have my wrinkles suddenly become craters?? Definitely not. When buying a product I now pay more attention to the smell and texture rather than what it claims to do for me.

Last edited:
Reading all this makes me think it's more about the enjoyment of using products than the belief they'll keep us looking 25 for the rest of our lives. I have in the past spent a fortune, allowing myself to be brainwashed by AY and the various guests but now realise you can use really lovely products for a fraction of the price. Have my wrinkles suddenly become craters?? Definitely not.

in a nutshell Bensmum - I think it's all about enjoying yourself - some like to experiment, chop & change (me!), others keep it simple or practically non-existent...whatever floats your boat I reckon is the right thing for you!

Look at it this way PPC ~ if it wasn't for us folks with no common sense spending our hard earned subbing the rest of you (and let's face it ,without selling their lotions and potions qvc would probably collapse) who sit on your hands, QVC would have to shut up shop then what would we all have to talk about? :mysmilie_849:

Fair point PP. In the past I've been seduced into buying Cooks Essentials in the vain belief I would become a better cook and could just chuck stuff into said pot/pan and produce fantastic tasty meals. :dull: As I hate cooking and have no desire to spend more time in the bliddy kitchen what was that all about!? :thinking: So yes, I have been a gullible mug too with absolutely NO common sense.

Having mentioned gardening now I just know someone is going to say I might as well rub compost onto my face??!! :grin:
I recommend a thick mask of John Innes No 2 Netscat, administered in Keeley's salon...with a kebab on the side. Sorted. :tongue:

I do not listen to all the c**p they spout!

cleanse usually l'occitane shea butter facial soap but loving the l'occitane red rice cleanser. smells lovely and no spots. alpha-h rejuvinating cream the size of a petit pois.and thats it. skin in amazing condition. the best ever and i am not using too much products that are expensive and have oodles of chemicals.

Simple routine for me too! cleanse with A'kin cleanser using clarisonic, sometimes use a swipe over with floral water, small blob of Ultrasun face 30 and currently loving L'Occitane eye cream. No moisturiser needed as Ultrasun is brilliant and is half the price of Elemis/Decleor etc, plus you would have to put on SPF over it too...

Night-time I use A'kin again and then a small amount of A'kin oil

i am going to confess though my body needs extra care . shower with l'occitane soap,then decleor sculpt,sbc collagen gel and l'occitane body lotion ooopppssss! having lost half my body weight it needs the layering approach lol

Feet, what about feet?!! I have noticed that Boots have a whole bit dedicated to feet and that the range of products and potions seems to be increasing very fast. I am lucky and actually have quite nice feet and I take care of them (my GP even commented on this, well that they were looked after not thta they are nice!). I think it would be quite easy to get suckered into buying all sorts of stuff for your feet and it would not suprise me if Q do a show just on products for out tootsies. Anyway my routine is to use one of those ped egg things and then to lather on Boots Peppermint foot cream, let it sink in and then paint my toe nails. No doubt there are at least three other products that A Y would consider essential, bet there will be a serum for feet soon.........

my mum had lovely feet! the chiropodist asked if she'd leave them to her! Mine are horrid..I don't like feet, but anyway, as I can't reach them I rely on my lovely OH to take care of the necessary bits with a file and foot cream and I enjoy a visit from a reflexologist every few weeks - bliss! I couldn't do someone else's feet tho..yuck!

my mum had lovely feet! the chiropodist asked if she'd leave them to her! Mine are horrid..I don't like feet, but anyway, as I can't reach them I rely on my lovely OH to take care of the necessary bits with a file and foot cream and I enjoy a visit from a reflexologist every few weeks - bliss! I couldn't do someone else's feet tho..yuck!

Me neither, especially at the moment as I think I've broken a toe on my right foot. It's an ugly throbbing swollen thing (now, now girls.....:wink:) with the most beautiful purple/black colour!! Did it yesterday stepping over Maisie outside - she decided to get up at the wrong moment and I stumbled.

i am going to confess though my body needs extra care . shower with l'occitane soap,then decleor sculpt,sbc collagen gel and l'occitane body lotion ooopppssss! having lost half my body weight it needs the layering approach lol

I too have lost not far off half my body weight, and my post baby skin (24 years ago but now looks really gross because there is no longer any fat to pad it out) definitely needs extra care. I use Rituals body cream (John Lewis) which is REALLY lovely and good value for money, as is all the range. I can't say it's working any miracles but I'm not kidding myself that anything will, but it smells wonderful and keeps my skin hydrated.

Latest posts

Back