Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've never seen a wild fox 😲 but I love to see them on Springwatch/ Autumnwatch.
We have a few here. Mr B always spots them. There is a Tesco Metro about 3 mins walk away & Foxy can often be seen trotting off for his groceries. On the pavement! He's never much bothered By Mr B (wild animals aren't afraid of him!!!) & just walks on by - Mr B said foxy smiled at him once!

I simply adore foxes & really want one - obviously an injured one that won't be suitable for wild living. I keep meaning to volunteer at our Oak & Furrows wildlife home, but I already do so with the RSPCA & that takes up my time.

They recommended ketchup for fox poo on This Morning recently.

I saw that. It's the old-fashioned, messy, time-consuming and not hugely effective way of cleaning skunk off. I remember my aunt using it on their Chihuahua when we visited her in America. There are better ways, especially for a lively bigger dog. I know that if I squirted ours with tomato ketchup we'd have an even bigger mess on our hands.

That Lyndsey woman must spend all day scouring the net for old-fashioned 'remedies' that don't work well on modern surfaces. I'd read she had a load of complaints from people with marble/granite surfaces who had used her lemon/vinegar-for-everything cleaning tips and ruined their surfaces. Her lemon juice and salt tip for chopping boards might clean the surface and kill a little bacteria but it definitely won't kill all the bugs off there.

Then there's Mrs Hinch who recently recommended using Zoflora in hot water overnight to make a nice smell. She got slated by Zoflora for that.

Mankind isn't going to need nuclear or biological warfare as stupid people doing the 'I saw it on Facebook' tips are going to end up doing the job!

I love my Dew (as I keep banging on about!)

Right. There are two types - Superclean and Disinfect (which is the same as the sanitiser). The Superclean is meant for de-greasing and cleaning but not disinfecting as it only kills bacteria. I only use this on my sinks as I can rinse it off easily.

The Disinfect kills EVERYTHING and is basically the same as Clinisept. I was having problems with my gum and bigger problems with Corsodyl so asked my dentist about Dew (emailed him the info) and he said to use Dew and water as a 50:50 mix. I emailed Dew to check and they said the same. The dentist uses hypochlorous to clean his equipment. He has a generator on site.

I've used Clinisept mouthwash and the taste is the same as Dew (salty-ish). I do use a tiny bit more Dew than 50:50 though.

I use the Dew Disinfect for the dog - I SATURATE the fox poo area (ususlly on the longest ruff hair on her neck!) and sort of sponge it off with kitchen roll. It cleans it off, kills all the bugs, GETS RID OF THE STINK COMPLETELY and doesn't harm her in any way if she licks the area. Her bedding gets a regular spray to keep bugs and whiffs at bay. I even use it on cuts for her (and us). I used to buy the rather expensive/short shelf-life Leucilin for that.

I've been using Disinfect for just about everything for the last few years and go through about 7L a year. If anything, I over-use it. I take a little bottle out as hand sanitiser, use a load medically then the rest for cleaning. I use the air-freshener (very fine mist) on my soft furnishings if it starts to smell a bit doggy. It DOESN'T fade colours or bleach it, despite having the faint whiff of bleach - but I'd patch-test first.

When I say I use it medically I mean any cuts, grazes, scrapes get sprayed. I'm avoiding the GP (nothing new there!) so don't want to risk any infections setting in. Mr AE gets shingles a lot and it sets in around his eye and head so he gets sprayed several times a day at first tingle. Since he's been doing this he's had fewer attacks and they've not been so nasty. He also gets conjunctivitus a lot so he bathes his eye with it 5/6 times a day and always seems surprised how quickly it clears up compared to before. I use a catheter now and then, was having UTIs a lot but since spraying it on some toilet paper before insertion I've not had one (touch wood!).

So, it's the DISINFECT (or Sanitise - they're the same stuff) you want. It's cheaper to buy direct but you'll need to pay postage. You can get them a bit more expensive from Amazon or eBay but with free P&P so for a small amount you're better off buying from there. I started off with a 500ml bottle after discovering Aquaint (Vital Baby) that I'd bought from Boots and that had been rec'd on Allergy UK. Aquaint has a shelf-life of 3 months after opening but I found it lost the chlorine whiff after a few weeks so lost faith in it. Dew says at least 6 months but keep away from sunlight and heat. I picked up a small bottle of Virusol from Holland & Barrett to make up my order to the free P&P threshold. I'm unsure, though. It doesn't smell as strongly of that lovely clean chlorine smell you get with Dew and I believe it's the free available chlorine given off that shows it's active. So, maybe I got an old bottle or maybe it doesn't have the ppm that Dew and Aquaint have.

Look for the new-type bottles that are currently on the Dew site as they've only been used since the New Year. At least if you buy from a third-party site you'll know it's fresh (though Dew does sell on Amazon and eBay).

The pong smellsnothing like my Chinese takeaway - it smells like nothing on earth. It's worse than passing a sewage farm! Other than that I have no idea how to describe it but I've smelled it in two different ponds now. It also bubbles in a few places. Reminds me of a 50's Sci-Fi movie!
Very helpful, thanks for taking the time.

Re pond: What I meant was that the phrase 'Pondpong' sounds like a Chinese word. Like Pingpong (is that chinese?)
Pondpong just sounds funny when you say it....to my juvenille brain

We have foxes here as our garden backs onto a small wood. I can smell as soon as I open the back door in the morning that they've been in the garden - a precaution before letting our dog out or suffer the smelly, messy consequence. We also have rabbits (gardener's arch-nemesis!), badgers and the odd, very rare hedgehog. It's very sad that there are now more foxes and badgers than hedgehogs (gardener's best friend).

We put a wildlife cam in and caught them coming to the back door and scenting it. The stink! We also have to use a monthly flea/tick drop to avoid the dog catching parasites from them.

I love to see them playing in the garden but I'd rather them stay in the wood. For their sake as well as our dog's as they're often squashed on the main road at the end of the street.

We have foxes here as our garden backs onto a small wood. I can smell as soon as I open the back door in the morning that they've been in the garden - a precaution before letting our dog out or suffer the smelly, messy consequence. We also have rabbits (gardener's arch-nemesis!), badgers and the odd, very rare hedgehog. It's very sad that there are now more foxes and badgers than hedgehogs (gardener's best friend).

We put a wildlife cam in and caught them coming to the back door and scenting it. The stink! We also have to use a monthly flea/tick drop to avoid the dog catching parasites from them.

I love to see them playing in the garden but I'd rather them stay in the wood. For their sake as well as our dog's as they're often squashed on the main road at the end of the street.
Badgers EAT hedgehogs. Really!

Very helpful, thanks for taking the time.

Re pond: What I meant was that the phrase 'Pondpong' sounds like a Chinese word. Like Pingpong (is that chinese?)
Pondpong just sounds funny when you say it....to my juvenille brain

You're welcome. I found it out of necessity for asthma and allergies but everyone I've rec'd it to has loved it.

I did a quick search on Amazon and eBay and the cheapest I could find was £7.99 delivered for 500ml at Amazon (from Ecoanalytes who are Dew). Some of the prices on eBay for the old type bottles are ridiculous.

If you sign up to Dew you get 20% off your first order where it's £4.99 for 500ml but plus p&p. If you have family/friends that would like it you might be better off buying a set. It was free delivery over £20 but I'm not sure if that offer is still on. I regularly check the site as I buy for my friend and niece so I can let you know if it's on offer if you like.

Or you could pick up a bottle of Aquaint. It's £3.87 at both Boots and Amazon. Nemesis is £15 (!!!) for 750ml at Boots but was £7.50 last week. Sterimist is currently £7.99 on Amazon. Dew has been the cheapest and the one I trust but if you just wanted to try hypochlorous cheaply and will use it quickly I'd say try Aquaint first. Especially if you can get to a Boots store as Amazon reviews say some arrive broken.

You're right! Pondpong does sound Chinese (to my also juvenille brain) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
We have a few here. Mr B always spots them. There is a Tesco Metro about 3 mins walk away & Foxy can often be seen trotting off for his groceries. On the pavement! He's never much bothered By Mr B (wild animals aren't afraid of him!!!) & just walks on by - Mr B said foxy smiled at him once!

I simply adore foxes & really want one - obviously an injured one that won't be suitable for wild living. I keep meaning to volunteer at our Oak & Furrows wildlife home, but I already do so with the RSPCA & that takes up my time.
Someone that works with young Twirlette fosters baby foxes. When she gets her next batch the grandsons are going to visit them - covid permitting. Wouldn't be surprised if the eldest one doesn't try to smuggle one home 🤭

Cartoon dogs barking 171864461_4068.jpg

The biggest enemy of hedgehogs is modern living. People put up walls and fences, and they cannot go through those. These cut down their feeding grounds
We have 2 empty houses next to us that each has 6ft fences but the foxes have dug runways under them. One of the fences is leaning precariously. The local cats use the runways too, in fact I saw Milo, 🙄, sitting in the hole with just his head peeping out it is that deep!

We have loads of deer in my area.

They come through my garden everyday, leaving a track in the grass. Then they roam the whole of the estate, you can see their trails everywhere.

PS there are loads of other access points into the estate, so it is not just through my garden.

One of my neighbours has put up an electric fence around their front garden to stop them destroying her plants.

We have loads of deer in my area.

They come through my garden everyday, leaving a track in the grass. Then they roam the whole of the estate, you can see their trails everywhere.

PS there are loads of other access points into the estate, so it is not just through my garden.

One of my neighbours has put up an electric fence around their front garden to stop them destroying her plants.
Are electric fences legal?

Latest posts

Back