Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have just been shopping. I stockpiled a.hand cream and a body lotion in L'Occitane!!!! I also bought the Hillary Mantel book as my isolation/distancing read. Less successful was the supermarket shop. Waitrose looked liked the Albanian branch circa 1967. Apart from zero stocks of loo rolls, tissues, antibacterial whatever and bread (bread!) they had hardly any fruit, veg, milk, meat, laundry products, cleaning products, canned goods. Luckily I dont have a family to feed so could work out what to get and fill the gaps in Wilko and Saineburys.

The chap behind me in Waitrose had three tins of Spam confiscated as he had been in earlier and bought three tins of Spam! So he was accused of playing the system and reprimanded.

I have just been shopping. I stockpiled a.hand cream and a body lotion in L'Occitane!!!! I also bought the Hillary Mantel book as my isolation/distancing read. Less successful was the supermarket shop. Waitrose looked liked the Albanian branch circa 1967. Apart from zero stocks of loo rolls, tissues, antibacterial whatever and bread (bread!) they had hardly any fruit, veg, milk, meat, laundry products, cleaning products, canned goods. Luckily I dont have a family to feed so could work out what to get and fill the gaps in Wilko and Saineburys.

The chap behind me in Waitrose had three tins of Spam confiscated as he had been in earlier and bought three tins of Spam! So he was accused of playing the system and reprimanded.

Jesus it must be bad if people are stockpiling Spam

Six tins of Spam, that shows how deperate we've become in a really short period of time.

I actually like spam fritters but it must be years since I had them. We once had a cook at the hostel where I worked and she did fantastic spam fritters. Her budget to feed 65 male residents breakfast and evening meal was something like £1.30p per person per day so she had to be inventive. After she left we then got another cook who`d previously worked in a care home and many of the old folks didn`t chew their food, consequently much of what he cooked for them was soft, mushy and easily swallowed. He brought his lack of culinary skills to the hostel and some days we had almost riots when he dished up grey mince in watery gravy or almost liquidised boiled potatoes. He was dire and if any of the men complained at him he`d just shrug his shoulders and tell them they were lucky to be fed at all. As you can guess,he didn`t last long at the hostel.

We shopped at our usual Sainsburys this morning, I expected that we'd have to wait until the hour set aside for vulnerable groups had passed but the security man said they hadn't seen anyone aged over 30 for the first 20 minutes so everyone was allowed in. No loo roll, pasta or rice & very little cleaning stuff - when I run out I'm going to use white vinegar, however, the rest of the shelves & freezers looked as normal. The lady who served us said that yesterday a man had been so rude to a member of staff management were called & he was then strong-armed out of the store. All because he tried to buy a large number of loo rolls. I then went to Aldi on my own, walked in & straight out - like a decade of Christmases all in one day.

It`s the first day of Spring and even though this dreadful virus is swamping the World, it is still a beautiful World out there. Far enough at this moment in time we may not be seeing much of it and self isolating but the one positive outcome of this dreadful pandemic is that it may be giving our World a chance to slightly recover from the damage we do to it.
Here`s a clip to remind us of that and to look forward to seeing the outside World once again and appreciate it all the more. If an ad comes up at the beginning of the clip then just click on the skip ad tab then sit back and enjoy the music and the photos.

Very nice. I love the video in this story, too.

My local Co-op this morning was being stocked with loaves of bread, with the sign saying 2 items per person. So what happens ? a married couple pick up 4 loaves !! In a raised voice deliberately so they'd hear, I said "Oh, they're stocking up !" the husband glared at me. I picked up one loaf and with my paper went to the checkout. The wife stood behind me (looking at the floor) while her husband queued at another till. Again in a raised voice (I'm a troublemaker) I mentioned to the cashier that "couples were taking advantage of the 2 per person restriction" and she said there was nothing they could do, but called them selfish. I further made the point that on the tv this morning a young critical care nurse was crying that she had come off her shift and there was no food to buy. Outside this b.........d couple were parked NEXT TO ME, such luck !! husband came out first carrying his 2 loaves (but not 5 fishes, or was it the other way around), and clearly didn't like me being there, and then his wife followed him out with her 2 loaves under her arm, saw me and immediately looked the other way.

I think the time has come to shame these people, and perhaps start photographing them for social media, perhaps this will put an end to this madness !

I took the opportunity today (lovely spring day) to pull down an ivy from the front of the house. Amazing how many people who came out to speak, some I only knew from their cars passing.

our wee postie said that Rm isnt providing any form of protection which is disgraceful when you think of the number of people he comes into contact with. He said that posties and bin men are included in the children who can go into school BUT only if both sets of parents are in the category . Very sensible but some unscrupulous people will rip the arse out of it - suddenly people will no longer be “couples” .

Six tins of Spam, that shows how deperate we've become in a really short period of time.
Exactly. He was pretty old though so maybe shares our spam fritter memories! I remember that spam fritters and chips were a school dinner highlight, all that grease!!!!!I

I found one couple along our block who are self isolating. I asked through the window if I could get them anything but luckily they said not as there was precious little to get for them!

A friends daughter tried to phone Santander on Wednesday about the mortgage holiday and was 231 in line to be answered. I don’t imagine that those idiots Ant and Dec will be wondering where they will find the mortgage payment from.

i personally detest it when companies use celebs in their adverts (I have been verrry vocal to M&S on this) but I realise I am pissing in the wind.

But I would urge people to use this period to see how particular companies act for the good of everyone not just the chosen ones and rethink their use of them in the future,

Regarding celebs who post on SM regarding how hard done by they are (not able to go to the Bahamas etc) I vote we gather them all up and make them lick the wards clean because they are a waste of space, most haven’t worked a proper day in their lives. Let’s tare this opportunity to rid society of these parasites.

Latest posts

Back