Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That's awful re the deaths I love chocolate :( a friend of mine just lost her dad to cancer and hasn't been able to visit while he was in his care homeof course, shes obviously heart broken and this is other repercussions in everyday lives. Another friend had a collision on his push bike with a car last tues, made the news in his town, he's currently on life support, he was only saying how lovely it was to cycle on clear streets. We can't do anything the same as we once did and these selfish people who think they are hard done to for not doing what they like are pure evil.

On full passive agressive mode, I got the hubby to talk to the neighbour next door but one from a good distance now we are out of quarentine (YAY) and told him what they are like next door re the visitors and foud out they don't have much to do with them which is a small victory and also hes the type who would make a dig given the chance. So I feel a little better.

Glad to hear you're on the mend after being so poorly. It must be grim to feel so carp.. Get your strength back, put your feet up and binge on nice food and rubbish tele !

Peoples idiocy knows no bounds. Many people have seen their jobs and salaries disappear and some businesses and jobs are in danger of never coming back. Folk are unable to pay their mortgages or rents and even though the Government says they can latch into benefits, loans, mortgage breaks or 80% of their salaries all of those take time to fall into place. Not to mention that thousands of people are ill and many are dying. So one nut job on my facebook who lives with a relative of Mr V, decides that now is a good time to set up a go fund me page for her 15 year old daughter who wants £260 to begin laser hair removal. I kid you not.
To make matters worse the woman in question works as a health care assistant in a nearby hospital and has been spouting that she`s working so many extra shifts she`ll be doubling her usual wage and has obviously seen first hand and up close how coronavirus is affecting everybody`s lives. Is it me being over sensitive or is this woman totally blind, dim and completely self centered?

Peoples idiocy knows no bounds. Many people have seen their jobs and salaries disappear and some businesses and jobs are in danger of never coming back. Folk are unable to pay their mortgages or rents and even though the Government says they can latch into benefits, loans, mortgage breaks or 80% of their salaries all of those take time to fall into place. Not to mention that thousands of people are ill and many are dying. So one nut job on my facebook who lives with a relative of Mr V, decides that now is a good time to set up a go fund me page for her 15 year old daughter who wants £260 to begin laser hair removal. I kid you not.
To make matters worse the woman in question works as a health care assistant in a nearby hospital and has been spouting that she`s working so many extra shifts she`ll be doubling her usual wage and has obviously seen first hand and up close how coronavirus is affecting everybody`s lives. Is it me being over sensitive or is this woman totally blind, dim and completely self centered?

Unbelievable!!! does the daughter have face all over her hair? WTF?????

These go fund me pages don't sit comfortably with me in the best of times (- so open to abuse & is there any regulation?) but now, & for hair? Whaaaaat? I'd block these thoughtless eejit imbeciles straight away. Jolly poor form - don't they know any better?

No you’re not being over sensitive in the least. I’ve been shocked at peoples selfishness and greed over this pandemic, we read how this country pulled together during both world wars which makes you proud, today though, although the good far outweighs the bad were people are helping each other, the people trying to make money from others misery and fear appalls me, doubt you’d see the wartime spirit with those people. You and yours take care V ❤ xx

I hope yours goes in the washing machine if you've troubled yourself with the decorating of the mask. We're only really meant to wear a mask once & then throw out (not very green, I know) & that's even we remember not to touch face etc whilst out. Incidentally, how much was yours & where did you gerrit?
They're washable & I got them from eBay. The button & thread can be removed & as I've done all the tasks on my lockdown list I may fill my time by doing a different decoration after each wash. Of course all those needle holes will defeat the object of wearing one but when you hear an 'expert' say that a mask can't stop someone catching the virus but can stop it being spread you have to question the point of one in the first place. Of course nobody is considering total eye coverage & the droplets (yuck) are just as likely to get in there as up your nose. It's a total shambles.

No you’re not being over sensitive in the least. I’ve been shocked at peoples selfishness and greed over this pandemic, we read how this country pulled together during both world wars which makes you proud, today though, although the good far outweighs the bad were people are helping each other, the people trying to make money from others misery and fear appalls me, doubt you’d see the wartime spirit with those people. You and yours take care V ❤ xx
Most of us look at the past through rose coloured glasses. I can remember watching a drama series, I think it was 'A Family At War' & asking my parents about the community spirit during WW2, the difference in their opinions was stark. My dad said that he & his best friend had a great time during the war as it interrupted a lot of their time at grammar school, a place he hated because he had to play rugby not football, & he found it an adventure! He said that people weren't community spirited, didn't share & that the black market was like the Mafia. My mum said people were much kinder at which point my dad said that calling her parents Nazis & painting their evil symbol on their home wasn't what he called being kind. I'd like to think people become better in bad situations, however, those who are decent remain that way & go the extra mile, others just stockpile loo roll.

Most of us look at the past through rose coloured glasses. I can remember watching a drama series, I think it was 'A Family At War' & asking my parents about the community spirit during WW2, the difference in their opinions was stark. My dad said that he & his best friend had a great time during the war as it interrupted a lot of their time at grammar school, a place he hated because he had to play rugby not football, & he found it an adventure! He said that people weren't community spirited, didn't share & that the black market was like the Mafia. My mum said people were much kinder at which point my dad said that calling her parents Nazis & painting their evil symbol on their home wasn't what he called being kind. I'd like to think people become better in bad situations, however, those who are decent remain that way & go the extra mile, others just stockpile loo roll.

How true is that, yes you’re right if you’re nice you’re nice all the time and go the extra mile in times of crisis, if you’re not nice, a crisis wouldn’t change you anyway ❤️

On the stockpiling front I realise I have been doing exactly that with books. I always have a load of them upstairs as I don't just buy when I need something to read but as and when my favourite authors publish a new one. I went to Waterstones for a lockdown selection, something a bit different. Then yesterday the paper had a list of stunning historical non fiction, so the order went in for some of those. The joke is, I bought the Mirror and the Light and am nowhere near the end of that, maybe read a quarter. Still, it stopped me browsing Seasalt.

I no longer know what day it is, so I need one of these - - -

Cartoon clock 92800322_269550429073453.jpg

On the stockpiling front I realise I have been doing exactly that with books. I always have a load of them upstairs as I don't just buy when I need something to read but as and when my favourite authors publish a new one. I went to Waterstones for a lockdown selection, something a bit different. Then yesterday the paper had a list of stunning historical non fiction, so the order went in for some of those. The joke is, I bought the Mirror and the Light and am nowhere near the end of that, maybe read a quarter. Still, it stopped me browsing Seasalt.
That's not stockpiling books, that's a library & life is better with books. I'm always browsing Seasalt.

I am not sure about wearing face masks. Been on holiday and were in a restaurant and got talking to a couple on the next table. They said a Chinese or Malaysian couple were on the next table asked to be moved as someone sneezed. Now, if you don't have colds and coughs you don't build up immunity and so do these other viruses become more virulent?????

Unbelievable!!! does the daughter have face all over her hair? WTF?????

These go fund me pages don't sit comfortably with me in the best of times (- so open to abuse & is there any regulation?) but now, & for hair? Whaaaaat? I'd block these thoughtless eejit imbeciles straight away. Jolly poor form - don't they know any better?
I am also uneasy about these go fund me requests. We have had people locally asking for money for funerals because their relative wasn’t insured. It appalls me when I read some of these things.

I am also uneasy about these go fund me requests. We have had people locally asking for money for funerals because their relative wasn’t insured. It appalls me when I read some of these things.
I know it would be heartbreaking for someone to die and not have enough money to bury them but should everyone not have either enough life insurance to cover it or pay up for a pre paid funeral plan? Also you see the sums far in excess of a funeral so what happens to the rest. Also if you are dependent on charity do you buy a basic or the full works?

My grandmother was obsessed with having enough money “to bury me” and scrimped and saved to put away enough but understandable she was brought up in the days when it would have been a paupers grave and she spent a lot of her life without the welfare state and the existence of workhouses.

Both my grandmother and mother worked their money out that a very small amount was put away immediately for emergencies or loss of work, and then they budgeted with what was left and if that meant doing without so be it, they would never ever have taken on debt, very budget conscious women however it hasn’t gone down to the next generation (me)!!

Same in our family LATI. A bit aside for the electric, the water bill etc. And I think the funeral money was a big thing for the pre-War generations so that you weren't a burden on your family in death. And as for debt! My mother acted as if the world was coming to an end when I got a credit card.

My Dad was 87 when he died and he`d outlived my Mum by 15 years. He never had a private pension, only a state pension but he lived frugally and was fiercely independent. When he was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer which had spread to other organs he moved in with my brother and his family and we all took turns looking after him. One of us or some of us or all of us then spent every day with him until the end.
Dad knew he only had a short time left and he kept telling us his funeral money was in the back of his wardrobe. Of course we just tried pacifying him and saying oh we won`t need that for a good while yet but we knew otherwise.
After he died we looked at what few things he possessed and how little material items meant to him. A few clothes, his telly, his reclining chair and a couple of watches. We found his funeral money, inside a supermarket carrier bag at the back of his wardrobe, £3,000 in total and much of it in bags of loose coins. Obviously every week he drew his pension he`d squirrel a few pounds into his funeral bag. He already had his burial plot which he`d bought when Mum had died and when we`d paid for his funeral there was a couple of hundred pounds left over which we donated to charity. This was 17 years ago and throughout his illness it was obvious how important it was to him that he had his final resting place bought and paid for and his funeral money to pay for everything else. He had peace of mind and for his generation it was also a matter of pride that he`d paid for himself in life but also in death and it was important to him that his kids didn`t have to worry about it either. Not that we would have done, we`d have given him his rightful send off even if he`d had no money at all.

That is very touching Vienna, my Mum had a fund with the Prudential so she knew she had ‘enough to bury her’.Of course she did but they didn’t want to be a burden on their family.Our parents were of the generation that everything had to be paid for, I have used credit but could always draw on the money to pay off any debts, now I don’t have any ( a couple of easypays on QVC!) and enough to take me back to be buried beside my parents where I have my plot.

Latest posts

Back