An alternative to Bare Escentuals brushes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

W

White Russian

Guest Shopper
While I love bare escentuals foundation, I do not love having to pull the straw-like hairs from my face after I apply it. My head tells me there is nothing 'special' about BE brushes and I could use an alternatve from another range, but I'm not sure what would work best. Nylon or animal hair? Has anyone tried different brushes with the foundation? Some thoughts were:

The SB Halo brush
Christopher Drummond brushes (flat top ones)
Regular fluffy kabuki brushes.

I prefer the BE soft focus face brush than the kabuki or the flawless face brush. I feel I get a better finish and it sheds less, but that could be a fluke.

I've tried Laura Mercier brushes in the past and Bobbi Brown, but they all shed to some degree.

I was told by the lovely girlie on my local BE counter that they shed less if you wash them before use. I presume that's because you are simply getting rid of the ones that would shed before they get a chance. I've done that but still got some shedding ... and quite frankly how do I know if it would have been better, or worse, if I hadn't washed it first. Eh??

I've jut tried the full flawless face brush and I really like it, first time trying BE brushes.

In the past I've had an Origins brush, which was nylon (I think) but so so soft and gave a lovely application of blusher etc. Not sure if Origins still do the brushes though but maybe worth a try.

Also the Body Shop have a whole range of beautiful brushes, not too expensive and you can build up the collection gradually. Def try the body shop range if you get a chance.

I love Smashbox brushes - think I have them all including the travel sizes in each for holidays LOL

The Halo brush is one of my favourites.

Good quality artist brushes available for a fraction of the price at any craft/artist outlet are so much better and don't moult. If the handles are a bit long, chop them down with secateurs and rub the end with sandpaper.

Ooo yes Bensmum. I use a chopped off artists brush for my eyeliner and have done for years.

I've jut tried the full flawless face brush and I really like it, first time trying BE brushes.

In the past I've had an Origins brush, which was nylon (I think) but so so soft and gave a lovely application of blusher etc. Not sure if Origins still do the brushes though but maybe worth a try.

Also the Body Shop have a whole range of beautiful brushes, not too expensive and you can build up the collection gradually. Def try the body shop range if you get a chance.

Have to second the Body Shop ones as well - they are fantastic!! I got their Kabuki brush (foundation) and their kabuki blusher one and they are so soft and easy to use, don't moult either! I use Lily Lolo mineral make up, not been brave enough to dip into BE yet - just can't decide which shade I am. I've still got a Body Shop eyeshadow blender brush from years ago, still going strong, it's so old the paint has worn off the handle.

Edit - I was just comparing prices of brushes of MAC and the Body Shop after reading the brush reviews on the Body Shop - can't believe how some people are saying in their reviews that Body Shop brushes are expensive!! The big 'buffer brush' on MAC (which I presume is for Mineral make up etc) is a whopping £32!!!!- professional quality I guess though. I suppose £16 is expensive though when you haven't got money to fling about - as a lot of us are now really. Sorry - waffling!

Last edited:
Laura Geller did an amazing kabuki brush in one of her TSVs years ago, I still have it - not one single hair has come out of it and it has washed and washed - the same goes for her eye make up brushes, had some for 5 years or so and they just go on and on. Her retractable brushes are good as well, though they do shed a bit.

best brushes i have ever owned are molton brown. i have a kabuki that i was really lucky to buy at bicester last year. i guard them with my life. good brushes are hard to come by.

I have a set of good old M&S brushes I got years back. They don't malt, wash beautifully & feel lovely on the face.

I love the Ultimate brushes that Jayne/Just Beauty Direct sell. I have their big kabuki and their mini travel kit of brushes. I also have the Christopher Drummond flat top brush which is great. All of them are synthetic and are super soft on your face - which is great if your skin irritates easily. And they don't shed either. Highly recommended!

On a side note, when I first tried BE many, many moons ago I thought their Flawless Face brush was horrible - really scratchy. Despite what AY says, I don't think they are superior quality.

I have never found better brushes than the Smashbox travel size ones...

I've put up a link to the Silk Pro Brush Set that QVC sells on the Cheaper than QVC bit. Still expensive, but excellent brushes.

On a side note, when I first tried BE many, many moons ago I thought their Flawless Face brush was horrible - really scratchy. Despite what AY says, I don't think they are superior quality.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was rough. I remember when they were all the rage and I've been so disappointed. I think I'll try the Pro Silk ones.

Another fan of Smashbox - especially the no 29 that comes with the full size Halo, and I also love my good old Molton Brown set too - I must have had it 10 years or more now.

I also adore Valerie Beverley Hills Kabuki brushes, they are a scary £35 a pop, but Victoriahealth often chuck them in when you purchase certain powders (although not on offer at the mo). They are simply lush and deliver a perfect finish every time, with whatever product you are using.

Think all brushes shed to a certain degree, but if the finish they give you is what you want, then it's not a show stopper.

Late to the party, but still worth checking out is the range from EcoTools. I've seen them in Tesco, Superdrug and Boots, but you can get them cheaper on eBay.

Latest posts

Back