Ex Ideal World Employee - Ask away! Anything

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Ooh, I have another query, when before and after pictures are taken, ie beauty shows, is the lighting set slightly different because it looks like it sometimes, looking at the background or is that a fluke of the film capture? or shouldn't I ask that :blush:

(The eyesesential - yuck)

Before and afters are somewhat of a hindrance. The before shots are often forgotten about if afters are being live. It's normally a quick rush to get the model into an empty set, steal a camera from the current live show and do them quickly, whilst also directing another show.
If its a new product or not just being used as an "example", ASA requires the before and afters to be in the same set, with the same model, in the same clothes. Exceptions are allowed, but it gets complicated to explain when/how etc.

Does this help?

I'm finding the use of robot cameras on QVC reall difficult as they never seem to able to focus on what is being spoken about and by the time they do the guest or presenter has just put it down. I've always thought Ideal World have had better camera work anyway but do they plan to start using robot cameras?

When I left, there were talks about it, but I would say its a long way off from ever happening. It took ideal world years to go to widescreen, and even then it was a bodge job. I wouldn't worry about ideal having robot cameras for many years! Plus as you pointed out, they are very slow!

When I left, there were talks about it, but I would say its a long way off from ever happening. It took ideal world years to go to widescreen, and even then it was a bodge job. I wouldn't worry about ideal having robot cameras for many years! Plus as you pointed out, they are very slow!

Thank you. That's a relief. Good camera work is essential for craft programmes which is mainly what I watch. I know there must be a constant pressure on costs but robot cameras are a false economy for a shopping channel. I hate them on the BBC too but it just means irritating rubbish shots not that you can't see something they are selling!

y did u comment on hair and beauty shows earlier then, saying the models hate eyesential shows ?

y did u comment on hair and beauty shows earlier then, saying the models hate eyesential shows ?

Certain models like shelagh also work on fitness and fashion shows, which I floored. You make small talk on the way from the green room to the studios. As a floor manager you meet up to 100 guests/new people a week. Hair/beauty shows are typical of having 3-5 models. Trying to remember the names of all the people on your shows is hard enough, let alone looking at the guest scheduling roster for everyone else's show.

I also didn't say they didn't like the shows. I said that most aren't a fan of the product as its uncomfortable to wear.

Cheeky question...did the fellas enjoy when the lovely Natasha Malbasa modelled in lingerie shows? ;) I know my hubby does lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky question...did the fellas enjoy when the lovely Natasha Malbasa modelled in lingerie shows? ;) I know my hubby does lol

Haha! People are only human! You would coincidentally notice a few extra guys walking around the studio. However it has all changed now. The floor managers now politely request a "closed set". Enforcing this means that only necessary crew are allowed in the studio. Floor managers ALWAYS have the right to refuse entry into the studio, or ask someone to leave it. We "police" noise, footwear, clothing, health and safety, presenters, guests and all crew.

I'm loving all this background stuff. What happens to all the products that are used in a show? Are they locked away for repeat shows or are they given to the staff and fresh items used for other on air presentations?

Julie did fashion and fitness aswell, her lynn and shelagh were all very similar age and didi similar shows

I'm loving all this background stuff. What happens to all the products that are used in a show? Are they locked away for repeat shows or are they given to the staff and fresh items used for other on air presentations?

Fascinating isn't it? I always wondered if demo products were sent out to customers.

All products are kept in a massive warehouse and logged in and out by a department called "sample co-ordination". Stuff like makeup is topped up. Things like showroom shine are constantly sent in by suppliers to use.

Julie did fashion and fitness aswell, her lynn and shelagh were all very similar age and didi similar shows

I don't know what you want me to say? I didn't floor any shows including Julie. There's about 20 floor managers, running 3 channels, doing around 32 hours of shows. It's quite easy to not know everyone. Just staff wise, there's over 600 people that work there. That's not including presenters and guests.

Fascinating isn't it? I always wondered if demo products were sent out to customers.

Never. When samples are no longer needed they are auctioned off to staff on a first come first served. Staff sale day is frantic!

Some have taken advantage of finding out legitimate interesting facts like how demos are prepped and asking viewing figures. But it just shows the nature of some when all they want to know is "who is the worst presenter. How rude are they? Who is a bitch?!" Disgusting.

Don't title your thread "Ask me anything" then, if you don't want to be asked about these things :tongue:
I can't say I find how 'demos are prepped' very interesting

Risk assessments are written for every demo and product. Tv costs thousands per hour. They can't ruin all of that time and money by lying. ASA would have them shut down instantly.

Risk Assessments: Well, that's the nature of any business

TV Costs thousands per hour: That's why each hour, the company being shown has to pay around £4,000 and the 40-60% profit from any other sales in the hour.

ASA will shut them down: Watch bid tv for an hour, and you will see that is not the case. They have got away with lies for years. And when I tell the ASA to watch they say "they are a small team, and can only watch, when people have an issue..." They don't watch 24/7 like you make out! lol

Am I the only one who is finding this thread is quite "boring" now (like IW).

I know that many people don't share this view but I find Moira C amusing. I enjoy watching her because I can switch off from the concerns of the day by concentrating on some general light hearted banter and the wonderful scarflace/chi chi / colleto! Is Moira always so positive and fun to work with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back