Gem fest

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
BLIMEY !
I remember a time when a 9ct gold bracelet with gems cost this amount, not coated sterling silver !!!! I'm glad I bought my 'collection' of gold and gems when I did, because compared to the prices being offered now, I REALLY got a few bargains.

3.9ct Multi Gem 18cm Bracelet Gold Vermeil Sterling Silver £117

Exactly what I thought Brissles. There is no way I would pay that amount for plated jewellery. The price of Gold has really gone down now and should be more affordable but not sure we will see a great reduction on QVC.

I've bought some amazing jewellery from QVC over the years. I would really like to see more variety and styles but I think the days of great prices are behind us.

Traditionally there is a hefty mark up on jewellery but online and selly telly have cut the margins across the board. I think the best prices now are in the secondhand and vintage markets.

I'm trying to enjoy what I have and only buy what I really want or have been lusting after for a while.

Gem fest

I am really not that bothered about gems, but it is the first thing I have felt like watching on qvc today. I quite like watching Dale and the guest they make easy listening. I am well bored of Yankee Candles/Kim&Co/Centegrade/Liz Earle and imo Kathy's style hour is a waste of time. I switched on the morning show and the first one I saw was Gill Gauntlet in a slimming gadget ...so I jumped on the off button...and have only just got the courage to switch on again...lol I do feel better for a rant.

I've given up on new jewellery and started buying second hand stuff from various jewellers. I've got some lovely pieces at very reasonable prices, especially Victorian rings. They may be dated but when my great nieces get their mits on them they can have them remodelled. They might even be back in fashion one day.

Ah yes, those were the days.

I have a white gold bracelet cannot remember the exact price, but it was a TSV way back and under £80.

A lovely white and yellow gold bracelet around £40 in their sale. Two different white gold bangles again under £40.

Gem set rings in white gold. Diamonique in 14ct white gold under £40.

To be fair to QVC, the rising price of the precious metals over the past decade, dictates the retail cost of jewellery these days. I have a gold chain from QVC which cost about £70.The same chain would sell on he Q for,approximately, £260 at least.
Considering what established antiques/jewellery dealers have opined about jewellery sold on tv shopping channel, I am loathe to purchase any, unless it is a reputed brand, and sold elsewhere. Clogau is one such range,yet I always buy from Clogau, as they have better offers, sale prices, and you receive a £10 voucher, for every £99 order. No postage either.

Louise66 I use one particular jeweller a lot. He made my engagement ring and he's currently making me smoky quartz ring. He does all my repairs, even on antique pieces. He's not sniffy about QVC jewellery at all. He will alter and resize QVC jewellery and even eek. All he ever says is to be very aware of what I'm buying in terms of metal and stones. He's quite anti stones with coatings or treated unnecessarily because they're not very resilient. But that's his advice across the board and not just for QVC. He also says to buy what I love and I do. :eek:)

I've mainly bought silver set with semi precious stones or rose gold pieces. Rose gold can be hard to find the high street.

brissles, I know, the prices now are astronomical for some of these things. Like you, I bought a few gold pieces years ago, when they were reasonable compared with today. And personally, I am not a fan of gold plated sterling silver, as it wears off and the item then looks cheap, even if it has real gemstones. Back in the day, I remember when Gems TV sold real gold items for £30 or less on a regular basis, I still have some of them!

BLIMEY !
I remember a time when a 9ct gold bracelet with gems cost this amount, not coated sterling silver !!!! I'm glad I bought my 'collection' of gold and gems when I did, because compared to the prices being offered now, I REALLY got a few bargains.

3.9ct Multi Gem 18cm Bracelet Gold Vermeil Sterling Silver £117

Latest posts

Back