Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Jeff is my favourite presenter. Intelligent, educated... He even knows what's going on "behind the scenes". I like his smile, laugh and real life anecdotes. I understand his speech better than other presenters' words. Does he have American accent? I know that he comes from the United States, but does he try to sound British? What do you think, people?
He's from Indiana. His sister presents fashion on QVC.

I’m watching Jess Foley describing garnet as Si1 and she does this for many semi precious gems. She’s now declaring “oh my God” because she’s so overcome by each piece she presents. She shouldn’t be doing this. The other presenters usually avoid invoking God lol. Everything is literally this and literally that, as ever.

I’m watching Jess Foley describing garnet as Si1 and she does this for many semi precious gems. She’s now declaring “oh my God” because she’s so overcome by each piece she presents. She shouldn’t be doing this. The other presenters usually avoid invoking God lol. Everything is literally this and literally that, as ever.

That's actually the proper way of grading them, rather than AAAA everything - which means nothing whatsoever.

Is it me or are we seeing the same items of jewellery over and over again in different hours with different presenters with a few new pieces thrown in to mix it up a bit. The zircon Hattie was doing I've seen before, The Bemainty Ruby pieces have been shown more than once. The wheels have the same items on as well, nothing new. Admittedly the SB hours they've been doing have been new(ish) but I find it very hard to believe that all of those stones have come from SB's vault. It may be that I'm just tuning in at the wrong time.

Is it me or are we seeing the same items of jewellery over and over again in different hours with different presenters with a few new pieces thrown in to mix it up a bit. The zircon Hattie was doing I've seen before, The Bemainty Ruby pieces have been shown more than once. The wheels have the same items on as well, nothing new. Admittedly the SB hours they've been doing have been new(ish) but I find it very hard to believe that all of those stones have come from SB's vault. It may be that I'm just tuning in at the wrong time.
No that's is exactly happening!! In my opinion they are getting rid of what they can while they can before April.

No that's is exactly happening!! In my opinion they are getting rid of what they can while they can before April.

I agree. I've had this sense too. Same on Gem Collector (so-called "Showcases" that are nothing of the kind; just limited stock items dressed up). And, of course, the re-plays during the overnights are predominantly jade, Kimbie or Visage.

Last edited:

I personally think its for two reasons:

a) Their money situation. They probably don't have the money in the bank to be able to source a wide variety of stones from a number of suppliers. I suspect they're buying a range of stones at a bulk discount for buying from just one supplier - for example, the 'new stones' on Gem Collector seem to be endless amounts of various Jaspers at the moment (all of which are fairly cheap to buy - but priced ridiculously high on Gem Collector).
b) They probably don't have the rapport with suppliers that Steve had. Although Steve was a business man, he has a very relaxed 'one of the lads' kind of personalities too. Jake comes across as being a bit more full of his own self importance and slightly arrogant.

I can imagine Steve sat at the negotiation table trying to push down prices in a more jovial manner - with his jokey manner perhaps winning him deals at times.

Whereas I could imagine Jake being very poker faced, 'serious' and very 'take it or leave it' mannered.

I agree. I've had this sense too. Same on Gem Collector (so-called "Showcases" that are nothing of the kind; just limited stock items dressed up). And, of course, the re-plays during the overnights are predominantly jade, Kimbie or Visage.

I give Gem Collector 12 months. It's been ruined in my opinion.

The prices are ridiculous. There's a lack of variety these days too. They don't even have what I call any 'entry level' stones in stock now. Stones that beginners tend to buy to start collecting - such as Tigers Eye, Sodalite, Rose Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Lemon Quartz, etc.

They used to have all of those stones at one point - but as they sold out, they were never replenished back into stock. I don't know any gemstone retailers that do not own the 'basic' every day stones that entice new buyers in.

It's also turned into Gems TV for gem collectors now too - with themed hours of one type of stone, boring 15 minute lectures, on-screen graphics, hard sell and producer/director led shows.

Requests no longer seem to get shown either - and the assistants that used to collect the requests have also gone.

No wonder Alex left - I reckon he got wind of the changes that were looming and thought "not on my watch Pal".

Alex always made it clear that he liked Gem Collector because of its informal style and lack of directors/producers waffling in their ear.

Gem Collector has, like the rest of the Gemporia owned channels, turned into a channel where they show what they want to sell us - rather than letting us buy what we want to buy.

Do I want to see an hour of Tanzanite? No. If I wanted a Tanzanite, I'd go through the website and request one that catches my eye.

Unless they seriously sort out their prices, and put more variety in stock too, Gem Collector is doomed in my opinion.

It's all very sad. I agree. With hindsight, I think that Alex's departure was absolutely a sign of what was coming. I thought it was abrupt and odd at the time but, as you say, things are playing out differently now on GC.

The jaspers and other opaque offerings recently for ridiculous prices (especially when they're multiple quantity auctions and the pebble you'll get may be nothing like the studio sample) and the lack of quality, well cut gems is run of the mill now. All bog standard cuts, rarely do you even see concave/millennium cuts now. Some hours even have only 20 - 30 offerings; that used to happen rarely.

A Channel Manager based in Jaipur shows, with what they're offering now as "Showcases". The internet is full of cutting houses or gem sellers based in India. If you're careful and discerning enough, you can get better quality versions of what GC is offering elsewhere online. I even saw an identical carved Brazilian amethyst bird, but with a different base, online for about 40% less than what GC were asking.

What, may I ask, happened to the Bennett Vault idea for GC customers? Sure, some nice opals were on (not competitive prices, in my opinion for what they were - even if large carat weights) but I really really would have been interested in a Tunduru Colour Change sapphire showcase. Oh well.

This is a prime example of three sad niggles, from Lynn's first hour this morning. £80 (incl. P&P, end of hour price) for 1.00g 9K gold with I2-3 melee diamonds.

a) 7am, 11am, 3pm & 7pm hours are bad times to buy. (There are probably equivalent times, now, on GC).

b) Prices are styled in the "pound to a penny" 😵 way to make you think it's a "sale".

c) Genuine gold pieces, as opposed to their now standard, normal gold plating/tone, are very thin, lightweight and expensive.

Screenshot_2024-02-27-08-59-59-338.jpeg

Latest posts

Back