Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah I see. So "Sakura Agate" is actually an industry known name? As opposed to a Gemporified made up one?

It looked nice. I just had to catch my breath when the final price was £120.

Yes, for once, it is a recognised name rather than a Gemporia name. It has a few different names - it is more widely known as Cherry Blossom Agate, but it's also called Flower Agate.

'Sakura Agate' is its lesser-know name. Someone cynical might say that they've avoided its most popular name (Cherry Blossom Agate) to make it more difficult for people to find should they want to Google it for price comparisons.

For example, if you Google 'Cherry Blossom Agate Bangles', you can find these for £30.64p........

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1080422357/rare-gemslarge-fat-bangles-natural

Adina is on at the moment waxing lyrical about what they are calling “paraiba topaz” and showing the usual pictures of high end Paraiba tourmaline for huge prices. Bad enough you might think but when I looked them up online THEY'RE COATED. Surely that’s not legal.
It isn't. Which is why the ASA have given them warnings for this kind of thing before - but they still continue to do it.

If the ASA were not so useless, they'd actually take some meaningful action against this instead of giving out warning after warning.

If they were to suspended from broadcasting for 24 hours as a punishment, you can bet your life they'd stop these kind of tactics. The only way they'll stop doing it is when it hits them financially.

Being suspended from broadcasting for 24 hours would cost them thousands in lost revenue. If that doesn't teach them a lesson, then step the suspension up to 48 hours - and so on, until they finally stop.

That won't happen with the ASA in its current format though because they're toothless and not fit for purpose.

It has a few different names - it is more widely known as Cherry Blossom Agate, but it's also called Flower Agate.
I have a friend, who sits on my desk next to my pyrite, to keep me focussed. Say hello to Jake 😀
20240302_040246.jpg

Doing my bit for this forum again, I forced myself to watch a bit of "Hemporia". Actually, I'm finding my recent occasional viewing snippets of it weirdly entertaining. I just watch to see what utter imo codswallop the presenters come out with next. They're creative at it I'll give them that. That's the most diplomatic thing I can say.

So on a night show an agate bangle comes on. It's been "Gemporafied" lol & referred to as "Sakura Agate". Jessica was so shouty & enthusiastic about it I thought she'd hyperventilate.

I heard about the incredible, natural glowing colour, how each view of it was a picture, like a fine painting. It's in such demand because it's sooo desirable & sought after.
Can I see mother nature's made image of all the cherry blossom shapes in it? I can multi buy these! Hang one in a window & admire this natural work of art. I may have paraphrased this a little as I can't remember her exact words but this was the gist of it.

I think the final price was about £120. I'd tuned out mentally by then.

I just kept thinking "It's only Agate". One of the very cheapest stones available when I bought it when I was young & fairly financially broke. Umptern tons of the stuff must be sold every year. Granted it might not be "Sakura Agate" though. 🤣

Seriously, I do feel so sorry for people who buy into this marketing, hard selling bs. Especially those who trust these presenters and/or really can't afford it.
I don't know how presenters keep their faces straight when they're required to come out with all this old garbage. They must all take lessons from the Peter Simon School of Teaching Descriptive Phrases For Any Occasion. It's a miracle to me how they find enough people to buy this over-priced stuff - I would have thought most people know that agate's a pretty common stone, but I suppose the channel plays up the idea of how they only buy the very 'special' stones to such an extent that people believe they are getting something other than the bog-standard stuff. I must say that the bit of the description referring to 'a fine painting' is worrying - Jess has seemingly copied this from Pete's Retro Phrases Handbook, he used to say this regularly yonks ago, (even when flogging kitchen rolls).

Lynn was regaling us this morning with a story about her daughter. Apparently she went to school earlier in the week and she had taken one of her rings with her (which is against school rules according to Lynn).
Anyway, to cut a long story short, it turns out it was a ring from the Midas range (cheap in other words) but when the teacher rang Lynn to inform her of these extremely serious rule breaches that had been committed by her daughter, it transpires that the teacher had locked the ring in the school vault because they had assumed that it was very, very valuable.
Oh how we all sighed with relief when Lynn told us that this just proves that Gemporia jewellery always looks worth more than it actually was and I’ll be truthful, if I didn’t trust Lynn 100%, I might start to think that this story was a pile of bull$hit, but it’s okay, I know that she’d never lie to us all, especially since she’s only got a couple of shifts left with Gems according to her.

Yes, for once, it is a recognised name rather than a Gemporia name. It has a few different names - it is more widely known as Cherry Blossom Agate, but it's also called Flower Agate.

'Sakura Agate' is its lesser-know name. Someone cynical might say that they've avoided its most popular name (Cherry Blossom Agate) to make it more difficult for people to find should they want to Google it for price comparisons.

For example, if you Google 'Cherry Blossom Agate Bangles', you can find these for £30.64p........

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1080422357/rare-gemslarge-fat-bangles-natural
Ah that makes sense now as I have heard of Flower Agate.

Yes, interesting that they don't refer to it as the more widely known, and imo more appealing other two names. Personally I think you're correct. Call it by the lesser known Sakura Agate, so not as easy perhaps for potential buyers to compare prices on a web search?

I have a friend, who sits on my desk next to my pyrite, to keep me focussed. Say hello to Jake 😀
View attachment 27992
I'm so glad that Ape didn't sit an inch further to the right 😮

Lynn was regaling us this morning with a story about her daughter. Apparently she went to school earlier in the week and she had taken one of her rings with her (which is against school rules according to Lynn).
Anyway, to cut a long story short, it turns out it was a ring from the Midas range (cheap in other words) but when the teacher rang Lynn to inform her of these extremely serious rule breaches that had been committed by her daughter, it transpires that the teacher had locked the ring in the school vault because they had assumed that it was very, very valuable.
Oh how we all sighed with relief when Lynn told us that this just proves that Gemporia jewellery always looks worth more than it actually was and I’ll be truthful, if I didn’t trust Lynn 100%, I might start to think that this story was a pile of bull$hit, but it’s okay, I know that she’d never lie to us all, especially since she’s only got a couple of shifts left with Gems according to her.
Totally believeable.

Who doesn't send their kid to school with an 18k gold band these days.

I sent mine to school last week wearing some Balenciaga platinum wellies.

Ah that makes sense now as I have heard of Flower Agate.

Yes, interesting that they don't refer to it as the more widely known, and imo more appealing other two names. Personally I think you're correct. Call it by the lesser known Sakura Agate, so not as easy perhaps for potential buyers to compare prices on a web search?

Legal deception 😞

According to Lynn, Glenn Lehrer will have no new collections with Gemporia for the time being. If this is not another sign of Gemporia's decline, I don't know what is
Glenn Lehrer, Charlie Barron... Even Yianni Melas doesn't want to work with them anymore (because he got better offers from luxury companies like Le Vian or Boucheron).

According to Lynn, Glenn Lehrer will have no new collections with Gemporia for the time being. If this is not another sign of Gemporia's decline, I don't know what is

That will be a real loss to the channel. His pieces are very artistic and unique. They are selling way too much artless, cheap tat for them not to have standout pieces bringing interest to the channel. I have quite a few Lehrer pieces and enjoy them all.

Does he want to part ways with them, are they not willing to pay him enough to license his designs, did some big ego decide even more cheap tat and long waffles would bridge the gap of NO LEHRER? What is this daftness? Give me back my Lehrer you fools!

Glen Lehrer is on QVC USA. I remember them mentioning it on air sometime ago, so it would only be a matter of time before he wouldn’t need to supply to Gemporia
He can also go to JTV (Jewelry Television), a selly telly channel based in the state of Tennessee.

Glenn Lehrer, Charlie Barron... Even Yianni Melas doesn't want to work with them anymore (because he got better offers from luxury companies like Le Vian or Boucheron).

Steve and Glenn were good friends.
Steve and Yianni were good friends.

It makes you wonder whether they're abandoning ship because Steve isn't CEO any more - so they don't really have a 'connection' with Gemporia these days.

Hello, I'm new, but been perusing the Gemporia forums. I have a lot to say about them. I've been a purchaser of theirs since about 2016. And to be honest, I now tend to buy more from Gem Collector: mainly from Emily. But I digress. Gemporia have definitely gone down-hill noticeably, I expect this has been discussed more than once, and forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread, but first Steve sells off JM (which I have 'christened' Jade Market.) He needed money back then. Bought it back, 'sold' off Gemporia, aka 'gave' it to the workers: more money needed. Then as previously mentioned about the museum pieces: even if you had millionaires watching Gems, to sell of those items, well, try to. I've never seem a museum piece actually sell. And then you get the mainstay presenters just disappear or leave: like them or not, to name but two, Vicki Carr, Ruth Linnett, they had that certain something to hold the attention. What else, as I'm rambling? The actual quality has gone down of the goods. Used to be Midas, then that became gold flash / gold colour. Yes, the silver is still silver, but I was disappointed to buy what I assumed via the 'selling' to be midas and it was GF. And the amount of collections they've ended too. Yet, some they say they have no more of, they miraculously find: Csarite, Argyle, Diavik, let alone trying to sell of the Bennett Vault. As I write, it strikes me, that the 'generic' goods are getting poorer and they are trying to make up the money via selling limited (allegedly) but expensive. It's a shame really, some presenters I used to like I have gone off of. Either don't watch or watch on mute. I used to like Dave Troth for example, but he bugs the hell out of me now. The indignation or disbelief when 'he' sells something at a lower price, even if 'he' instigates it. I know this is all over the place and I could have made a few posts, but I'm impatient ;) Bye for now, and thanks for reading, if you did. I've just remembered something. What also bugs me, through the whole group, is coated, or same-coloured as, stones are always compared with the original item. Why compare it with Paraiba etc, when it isn't remotely 'that', and 'if this were..... it would be....' Pointless. It isn't, so why bother with the spiel?

Hello, I'm new, but been perusing the Gemporia forums. I have a lot to say about them. I've been a purchaser of theirs since about 2016. And to be honest, I now tend to buy more from Gem Collector: mainly from Emily. But I digress. Gemporia have definitely gone down-hill noticeably, I expect this has been discussed more than once, and forgive me if I'm in the wrong thread, but first Steve sells off JM (which I have 'christened' Jade Market.) He needed money back then. Bought it back, 'sold' off Gemporia, aka 'gave' it to the workers: more money needed. Then as previously mentioned about the museum pieces: even if you had millionaires watching Gems, to sell of those items, well, try to. I've never seem a museum piece actually sell. And then you get the mainstay presenters just disappear or leave: like them or not, to name but two, Vicki Carr, Ruth Linnett, they had that certain something to hold the attention. What else, as I'm rambling? The actual quality has gone down of the goods. Used to be Midas, then that became gold flash / gold colour. Yes, the silver is still silver, but I was disappointed to buy what I assumed via the 'selling' to be midas and it was GF. And the amount of collections they've ended too. Yet, some they say they have no more of, they miraculously find: Csarite, Argyle, Diavik, let alone trying to sell of the Bennett Vault. As I write, it strikes me, that the 'generic' goods are getting poorer and they are trying to make up the money via selling limited (allegedly) but expensive. It's a shame really, some presenters I used to like I have gone off of. Either don't watch or watch on mute. I used to like Dave Troth for example, but he bugs the hell out of me now. The indignation or disbelief when 'he' sells something at a lower price, even if 'he' instigates it. I know this is all over the place and I could have made a few posts, but I'm impatient ;) Bye for now, and thanks for reading, if you did. I've just remembered something. What also bugs me, through the whole group, is coated, or same-coloured as, stones are always compared with the original item. Why compare it with Paraiba etc, when it isn't remotely 'that', and 'if this were..... it would be....' Pointless. It isn't, so why bother with the spiel?
Welcome! Everything you've raised are things that we've all raised too at some point or another.

In my opinion, Gems TV, Gem Collector and Jewellery Maker are all clinging on for their lives.

JM used to be the go-to place for good quality, well priced, gem strands and cabochons. Those days are long gone.

Gems TV used to be the place for decent quality jewellery, with unusual gemstones, at good prices. Those days are long gone.

Gem Collector used to be the place for decent quality stones, at decent prices. Those days are also long gone.

All three of those channels have been watered down to the point where they're unrecognisable to their glory days.

I genuinely believe that for those channels to survive, they need new ownership. The current owners don't seem to know how to turn the channels around - and they're ignoring concerns that HUNDREDS of viewers are complaining about. If you ignore your key customers, and drive them away, you're left with serious problems.

Take JM for example. When it was under Gemporia ownership first time around, they sold a good business. Immediate Media ruined it by bringing in synthetic stones, plastic and glass beads, and general cheap tat. The prices increased. Postage prices increased and moved to a slower, poorer quality delivery service (Whistl). Packing was poor and orders would regularly be received damaged. Inevitably, it lost customers and struggled. Immediate Media sold it back to Gemporia.

Now, all Gemporia had to to was reverse the changes that Immediate Media had made - and revert back to the 'old' Jewellery Maker. Did Gemporia do that? No. They kept JM almost as it was under Immediate Media - but made the problems even WORSE! The tat remained, prices continued to go up, they started flogging Primal products on a jewellery making channel, and it got invaded by Troth and Jake - taking their boring waffling presentations over to JM as well as Gems TV. Like Gems TV, it also got taken over by Jadeite galore. I didn't think it could get any worse than it was under Immediate Media. How wrong I was! Add to that, JM has THE worst, most unprofessional TV "presenter" ever in Carol Roache. That woman is beyond hideous.

If Gemporia survive their money problems as a business, I can't see JM continuing as a channel long term. Everything is overpriced and can be obtained elsewhere for far cheaper, with next day delivery rather than the week or so it takes for JM stuff to arrive. They don't have a USP any more.

Gem Collector has no variety, the prices have shot up to ridiculous levels, they don't even have 'entry level' stones for newbies, and what was a relaxed informal channel has now turned into hard sell and waffle. It is no longer enjoyable to watch.

As for Gems TV. They no longer have a USP either. The quality of their jewellery has declined rapidly. Their prices have risen rapidly. In addition, their approach to the cost of living crisis has been completely back to front. At a time where people are being more savvy with their shopping, with little disposable income and looking for bargains, Gemporia have hiked their prices and offered a lower quality product. Those two things are incompatible - and this will be their demise.

I think if Gemporia is to survive long term, it needs new owners to bring in new ideas. It's been stale for a good few years now - and there doesn't seem to be any sign of change or improvement.

Steve Bennett told us, exactly one year ago, that he recognised that there were some issues and he was going to make some changes. NOT ONE THING has changed for the better since he made that statement a year ago other than speedier refunds. Every other problems that was there under Colin Wagstaffe, remains now under the Bennetts.

JM used to be the go-to place for good quality, well priced, gem strands and cabochons. Those days are long gone.

Take JM for example. When it was under Gemporia ownership first time around, they sold a good business. Immediate Media ruined it by bringing in synthetic stones, plastic and glass beads, and general cheap tat. The prices increased. Postage prices increased and moved to a slower, poorer quality delivery service (Whistl). Packing was poor and orders would regularly be received damaged. Inevitably, it lost customers and struggled. Immediate Media sold it back to Gemporia.
I did notice that JM charges extra for authenticity certificates at checkout. Was this always the case?

It started when Immediate Media took over - and Gemporia carried it on.

They're crap. They're just a flimsy bit of paper and they don't even include the treatment details.
Just a receipt then, FFS.

Backed out in the end. It was the last one in stock, was cheaper than the same on GC and appeared to attract a discount code because it was the last one in stock. I was an idiot - the discount only applied to single items curated by JM, not all 🙄.

I see Gemporia has a new "**** off, pay the full price you cheapskate" feature now 😁:

Screenshot_2024-03-03-05-48-28-525.jpeg

I mentioned this once before but I will say it again that Gemporia’s marketing strategy is aimed at the Lowest Common Denominator. By this I mean people who actually believe what the presenters are telling them. And there are thousands of people out there with enormous collections of silver and gold jewellery set with mediocre grade gems. Many of these buyers believe that they’re curating wonderfully valuable pieces for their grandchildren eg when in fact the jewellery is of low value in general.If someone buys a piece of jewellery that they then get to wear and love for years then it was worth it and that’s what it’s all about. I have no problem with 9 carat gold being set with I2 grade diamonds but in no way are they investment worthy as Gemporia would lead you to believe. Just like making a big deal out of diamond origin which has no effect on value is nothing but hype on their part.

Latest posts

Back