Has anyone tried one of those Pilates machines?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes. Although for now it seems the only exercise I will get will be making yogurt when my Easiyo arrives! I can't ride bike anymore as would destroy shoulder if fell off again. I can't travel on the tube because if anyone squashes my shoulder I scream in agony :( The only thing I can do is walk or take bus or taxi. So for the most part am at home reading, listening to radio and watching QVC. I tried repainting room with brushes / roller but cannot reach with right arm and don't have dexterity in left arm to make accurate painting, so now my wall looks stupid with a splurge of colour in one part! I called the helpline that comes with my medical insurance and they said that the manipulation can be arranged to take place within 2 weeks' time. The consultant will decide everything.

You poor thing, sounds like you have been in terrible pain with your shoulder. Hopefully you will get it sorted out very soon through your private insurance and the rehab won't be too long. Having used both and currently NHS, you certainly know the difference.

It's amazing what pain you get from you neck and shoulders, I've had many sleepless nights, X-Rays and wear in C6-7, although nothing as bad as Nutsville (Jen). This will make you laugh. I had the NHS appointment through for a Cervical X-Ray and thought they'd made a mistake and went to see my GP, saying they've got the wrong end? She nearly fell off her chair laughing when she realised what I meant and pointed out that's what they call the neck area...did I feel a fool or what:blush:! Best to check it out though eh!

In the end, they discovered that the pain and pins 'n' needles was due to carpal tunnel. I was told after the test that it was very severe in my left hand and it needed doing as a matter of urgency and the right hand needed doing too, but it wasn't as severe. I can totally relate to how debillitating it is loosing the use of one arm...my other half actually asked the Consultants Assistant if they could do both hands at the same time, now did I glare at him, followed by, if I get them done at the same time, you will have to do everything for me and I mean everything...he soon changed his tune:giggle:

Unfortunately at the same time my GP had written to my other Consultant about having the metalwork out of my ankle because of the flare-ups and the fact that the screws are very prominent on the ankle bone itself, so much so that I have to wrap a big fluffy bedsock around my ankle and wear one on top to keep it in place to stop it rubbing at night...passion killer or what?

My Consultant wrote back telling me to get in touch with his Secretary after the carpal tunnel op. Well I had the CT op last November and waited to make sure it was OK, incase I needed to use crutches again after the ankle op and contacted his Secretary in January only to be told that I had to go back to my GP to get re-referred again...my GP wasn't very impressed, but wrote again that month and I've heard nothing since, so still waiting to have the metalwork out...at this rate I'll have to be re-referred again!

Good Luck with everything and hope you'll keep us informed of your progress, take care.

Yes. Although for now it seems the only exercise I will get will be making yogurt when my Easiyo arrives! I can't ride bike anymore as would destroy shoulder if fell off again. I can't travel on the tube because if anyone squashes my shoulder I scream in agony :( The only thing I can do is walk or take bus or taxi. So for the most part am at home reading, listening to radio and watching QVC. I tried repainting room with brushes / roller but cannot reach with right arm and don't have dexterity in left arm to make accurate painting, so now my wall looks stupid with a splurge of colour in one part! I called the helpline that comes with my medical insurance and they said that the manipulation can be arranged to take place within 2 weeks' time. The consultant will decide everything.

Have you checked whether your physio dept can offer acupuncture? I had a shoulder/neck injury last October and was unable to drive for 2 months. Had MRI scan and x-rays then lots of private osteopathy, NHS physiotherapy and strong pain killers/anti-inflamatories. Consultant recommended acupuncture. Fortunately, our local NHS hospital's physio unit has trained up most of its physiotherapists to practice some forms of acupuncture. I was sceptical and thought I was being palmed off with someone who'd probably done a weekend course rather than a "proper" acupuncturist... but it really turned things around. I was off the painkillers very quickly and regained much movement in my neck and shoulder after the second treatment. I had six sessions in total and was almost back to full range of movement. I'm not normally a fan of the NHS but it was excellent on this occasion.

I'm a bit late to this party but...
I orginally bought one about 15 years ago on ebay, and used it intermittently. Then in a fit of tidying up I sold it again via ebay for the same price I paid for it; usually they have a high resale value. I then regretted my decision to sell it, I never realised how much I used it until it had gone.

I bought a second hand 3 corded machine off someone from here several years ago and I LOVE IT. I live alone in a flat and when in place it takes almost the length of my floor space, but every morning I do Pilates in my pjs before showering and breakfast and it has made a huge difference to my overall health and posture. I haven't needed the chiropractor in ages. I know the DVD so well i race with marjolen and usually do the workout in 20 mins.

I am not a strong person but I don't have difficultly in folding it and putting it to one side and do this 2-3 times a week when I am expecting company, otherwise it stays flat on the floor. The trick is to pick it up in the middle fold and let the wheels take the weight, then wheel it into situ, mine leans against the wall. Obviously mine is the slightly smaller machine, which I am sure makes a difference.

The first few sessions will be tough, but keep at it as your body gets used to the movement, and by week 2-3 you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I really can't imagine life without mine.

Thank you Suzy and Vacuous. I called the helpline for my medical insurance at nearly midnight and amazingly an advisor answered! He told me acupuncture and complementary therapies are covered provided they are recommended by the Consultant so I will just have to hope the consultant will be open-minded. I didn't take any tramadol today just some ibuprofen this afternoon. I got a 5% ibuprofen gel which helps a bit but it takes a lot to cover my shoulder! So tablets are easier. I would give accupuncture a try. I read about reflexology too. If nothing else it would be quite relaxing.

I feel for you Julius. I am held together with scar tissue, but things do get better. I do have one of those machines but my problem as someone else mentioned was arm room to get the most benefit, but if you have space to leave it out I believe most can benefit. You may need to get a friend to set up for you. Attaching and changing the resistance ;cords could be difficult if your arm strength is compromised.
Honestly my husband uses it more than I do and 20 years on I've rediscovered the simple exercises my physio gave me following surgery. Mine was lower body so aerobic exercise has always been an issue. One of the best is using stairs if you have them; up and down in sensible shoes and build up your reps.
Main advice talk to the physio.
Good luck.

I have an aeropilates/rebounder one with 4 cords and as I have a spare room it's out all the time, along with my exercise bike. Although it's possible to fold it to put it away, I think it's one of those things that you wouldn't bother with if you had to keep doing that, so it's more ideal if you can leave it up all the time. It's great, although I haven't used it as much recently, but I like the fact that you can tailor the excercise to your individual needs.

Hmm not a good day today :( Too much pain like someone stabbing me in the shoulder and neck, then pouring Tabasco in and twisting the knife. Am going to consultant on Thurs so can discuss Pilares then. All I did was lay in bed most of today as I couldn't sleep and I felt tired even though I haven't done anything. Tomorrow I will go out somewhere. Am glad qvc is here and the internet or I would go mad.

Hmm not a good day today :( Too much pain like someone stabbing me in the shoulder and neck, then pouring Tabasco in and twisting the knife. Am going to consultant on Thurs so can discuss Pilares then. All I did was lay in bed most of today as I couldn't sleep and I felt tired even though I haven't done anything. Tomorrow I will go out somewhere. Am glad qvc is here and the internet or I would go mad.
My sympathies - hope you are feeling a little better today. Take a painkiller if you are still suffering but try not to take any when you go to see the consultant so he can judge the pain - that is if he examines you.

I have one, but luckily enough managed to find one on eBay, seller was just down the road and I got it for £79, 4 cord machine, aero board, DVDs the works! I find it really good, I'm an ex dancer so have funny aches and pains, old injuries etc, so find it excellent if I am having a couple of days I can't cope with the gym, it definitely keeps me supple and stops me seizing up, but as others have said it takes up a HECK of a lot of room! I got the other half to haul it upstairs for me so I could use it in the bedroom, but there wasn't enough space, so it is now downstairs behind the sitting room door. It also moves while you are jumping on the board, so my wood flooring now has some very interesting marks. If you can go for one at some point do it, I can't recommend them enough.

It's not the footprint of the machine that was the issue for me... It was the room needed around it for the swinging arms and legs. Something I didn't really consider until I got the machine and realised how much space you need to use it... Nearly three times the width of the footprint.

i am currently watching one of these on Ebay, how much room do you think you need?

I was planning on putting mine in the garage, so length ways no problem but OH has cupboards built in down the side of the garage to house his tools and car bits.

Dont want to get it and then find I cant use it because there is not enough room, moving the cupboards in not a option, he built them a few years ago and would not remove them for me to use a Pilates machine !!!

I have visions of all would-be purchasers lying in different room in their house, flailing their arms and legs around to see whether they have space for one of these!

i am currently watching one of these on Ebay, how much room do you think you need?

I was planning on putting mine in the garage, so length ways no problem but OH has cupboards built in down the side of the garage to house his tools and car bits.

Dont want to get it and then find I cant use it because there is not enough room, moving the cupboards in not a option, he built them a few years ago and would not remove them for me to use a Pilates machine !!!

You know how people lie on the ground in the snow and move their arms up and down and put their legs out wide to make an angel??? Do that whilst lying in your garage and see if you hit any of the cupboards.

I was shocked at how much space you need around the machine's footprint - if you watch one of the demos then you'll see how much you flail your arms and legs around and that takes much more room than the machine itself - plus you'll be using the elastic ropes as well so need to make sure you can't hit anything with them.

Hmm maybe I will look on Ebay too! Shoulder manipulation will take place next Friday + one night in clinic after which the pain will worsen and then get better! I think it best to get the procedure out of the way. I will then have to attend physio sessions twice weekly. The Physio, Dawn, showed me a special machine they have in the clinic. Is an adapted Pilates machine! She said it is excellent used in the correct way. So I will have to see what she will allow me to do. It will also require approval from consultant. Am also going to have course of accupuncture + aromatherapy + reflexology

You can do pilates without the machine, though I'd recommend you go to a few classes to ensure you're doing the movements correctly. You could have a quite few lessons for the price of the machine.

I attend quite a few Pilates classes and now do it on my own (when I feel motivated to do it - that is the problem). I also have a Plates DVD for lower back pain. Machines are nice but unnecessary for pilates.

Hmm maybe I will look on Ebay too! Shoulder manipulation will take place next Friday + one night in clinic after which the pain will worsen and then get better! I think it best to get the procedure out of the way. I will then have to attend physio sessions twice weekly. The Physio, Dawn, showed me a special machine they have in the clinic. Is an adapted Pilates machine! She said it is excellent used in the correct way. So I will have to see what she will allow me to do. It will also require approval from consultant. Am also going to have course of accupuncture + aromatherapy + reflexology

Best of luck with recovery Julius. I had a torn rotator cuff that took a year to heal, agony!

Latest posts

Back