Have To Admit This Made Me Cry

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I firmly believe our fur or feather friends stay with us in spirit form or visit us regularly. I was 8 years old when we got our first dog, a black and white mongrel called Scamp. I fell in love with him and he followed me around, sat with me, played with me and spent far more time with me than he did with my brothers or sister.
My sister was 13 when we got him and we were told it was my job to feed him and her job to walk him which she hated doing.
When I was 11 my sister started work so I was told I was now old enough to walk the dog by myself. It was no hardship to me and we lived near to open fields and a canal and so I`d take Scamp where I could let him off his lead and he could follow his nose and scout for something interesting to sniff at or chase.
One day I was out with him and across a field with a small wooded area and the following memory is something I will never forget. Someone grabbed me from behind and threw me on the floor and started trying to take off my knickers. It was broad daylight, just after I`d arrived home from school and the usual time I walked Scamp and there was nobody else around and no houses within shouting distance and the person who attacked me had chosen his spot and knew we would be hidden by the trees..
Of course I was terrified, hysterical and screaming and shouting for help. What happened in the next few minutes showed me even as a child that the bond between humans and animals is the deepest bond there is. Out of nowhere my gentle , playful, loving pet became a tiger and on hearing me shout and scream he came running to me and bared his teeth and grabbed the man on top of me. It gave me just enough time to get up and run for my life. Scamp let go of my attacker and ran after me and the guy was running after us both. Luckily when I reached a nearby footpath I saw someone walking towards me and hysterically I tried to tell him what had happened. My attacker stopped chasing and ran off in a different direction.
The teenager who I hysterically ran to then took me home, the Police were called, my Mum fell to bits , my Dad threatened murder but physically I wasn`t hurt but mentally I was scarred.
I wouldn`t go to bed without Scamp, I wouldn`t leave the house not even to walk him, I wouldn`t talk about what had happened, in fact I wouldn`t talk at all except to Scamp. It took me a long long time to feel safe again and my Dad told me in later years that the one thing which hurt him to the core at that awful period in my life was that I`d no longer stay in a room alone with any man, even with him my own Father.
It seems I was one of several girls/women who were attacked by the same man and he was caught whilst trying to do a similar thing to a teenage girl whilst she was walking under a railway bridge. This all happened 55 years ago.
When I was in my 30`s and my Mum had recently passed away my sister persuaded me to visit a spirit medium with her. Whilst I was having my sitting with the medium she talked of many things and told me several things which I was gobsmacked she knew and at one point she said, there is a black and white dog sitting by you and he looks after you like he`s always done and you have a special bond with this dog which will last forever, he will never leave your side. I only ever had one black and white dog in my life and it was Scamp.
Think what you will but I for one believe he`s still here and that one day our special relationship will be together again on another plane and alongside the other dogs and cats I have loved in my lifetime but he will be the closest.
What a terrible experience, and a wonderful deliverance. Scamp was a special friend indeed to you.

I've

Just re read this (Donna) & realised it may sound somewhat insensitive. I'm sorry, because I never meant any harm. There are however some lovely moggies in rescue....buuuuut there may be a Burmese in rescue too....win win! I've seen Ragdolls in the Blue Cross. Hugsxxx

We always had moggies when I was growing up who unfortunately got knocked down as they were allowed to roam 3 years was the usual. Burmese are longed lived 17-18 years is normal for them they are not bred to have flat faces. We have the cats protection here and a friend tried to get a cat from them, but they did not like her postal code and even with a letter from her vet stating she was a responsible owner they refused her a cat. There is another pet recuses here and they are just as tough. No children, do not like anyone if a flat how long are you out at work? I am all for home checks etc but they really take it to another level. Seriously it is unbelievable. There are far more rescues on mainland UK than in N.I. Most here also seem to be all about dogs as well.

Dogs Trust were very strict when we adopted and we had to have a home visit etc. Another rescue wouldn't let us have a dog we wanted as he had previously lived within 4 miles of our house. They have the dog's best interests at heart I suppose. They charge £200 to adopt as well so you need to be committed. I suspect that many pets miss out on a good home because the prospective owners don't match the profile.

CC

Dogs Trust were very strict when we adopted and we had to have a home visit etc. Another rescue wouldn't let us have a dog we wanted as he had previously lived within 4 miles of our house. They have the dog's best interests at heart I suppose. They charge £200 to adopt as well so you need to be committed. I suspect that many pets miss out on a good home because the prospective owners don't match the profile.

CC
Tricky one. I was a home checker for Cats protection. Th eonly 'profile' we had was an animal lover with safe surroundings.

Some CP's just do a google earth & if there is a busy road close by they will not allow the re home - to roam is a cats natural behaviour. I expect that's what happened with Donna's friend. I can understand that - so many cats get run over - why take the risk?
We always visited. It's all about 'will the cat be safe' House doesn't have to be a palace - just safe & also 'Is this person an animal lover?' We always asked about holiday plans, vet bills, where will cat sleep? etc. If a flat/rental, the prospective owner needed to show the rental agreement - showing that pets were allowed. Seemed common sense to me - so many are given up inhome changes that 'don't allow pets'. Remember these animals have already been given up on, so we don't want to put them through further trauma. I always maintained that there was a cat for everyone - might not be the one they have their heart set on, but the 'right' one will come along. A committed owner will wait for that cat too. Unfortunately many will not & then source a pet by another means (moggies bred to make money!! grrrrrrr)

I fell for our first cat, Jamie, on the Scottish SPCA website. I had wanted a black cat, and ended up with a tabby & white!

Our second cat, Jasper, came our way by chance. We had noticed that Jamie seemed a bit down, and realised he needed a pal. I contacted a local cat rescue charity, and they had just received a stray, a 12-week old tabby kitten, which was unusual for them, as they dealt mostly with ferals: trap, neuter, return. (I hadn't known this, when I contacted them.)

Anyway, we adopted this tiny thing, who turned out to be extremely boisterous, and somewhat aggressive. He loved to jump on Jamie's back, and sink his teeth into his neck (still does). I wanted to give him back, but Mr E was determined that we would keep him, and find a way to deal with him.

Long story short, he was diagnosed as epileptic. Mr E gives him liquid meds via syringe, twice a day. The meds have calmed him a bit, but I still have battle-scars from dealing with his tantrums. We think he has hallucinations, whether from the meds, or from his illness, so we try to make allowances. He thinks he is a racehorse, bounding around the house at breakneck speed. He is missing a lot of normal cat behaviours, like slinking around legs. But he's really cute, and lovable, and we wouldn't part with him for the world.

We're both agreed, that if we lost either cat, we would definitely adopt again.

I fell for our first cat, Jamie, on the Scottish SPCA website. I had wanted a black cat, and ended up with a tabby & white!

Our second cat, Jasper, came our way by chance. We had noticed that Jamie seemed a bit down, and realised he needed a pal. I contacted a local cat rescue charity, and they had just received a stray, a 12-week old tabby kitten, which was unusual for them, as they dealt mostly with ferals: trap, neuter, return. (I hadn't known this, when I contacted them.)

Anyway, we adopted this tiny thing, who turned out to be extremely boisterous, and somewhat aggressive. He loved to jump on Jamie's back, and sink his teeth into his neck (still does). I wanted to give him back, but Mr E was determined that we would keep him, and find a way to deal with him.

Long story short, he was diagnosed as epileptic. Mr E gives him liquid meds via syringe, twice a day. The meds have calmed him a bit, but I still have battle-scars from dealing with his tantrums. We think he has hallucinations, whether from the meds, or from his illness, so we try to make allowances. He thinks he is a racehorse, bounding around the house at breakneck speed. He is missing a lot of normal cat behaviours, like slinking around legs. But he's really cute, and lovable, and we wouldn't part with him for the world.

We're both agreed, that if we lost either cat, we would definitely adopt again.
You both sound wonderful. Is Jamie your avatar?

I read that Monty Don's dog Nigel has died. As a big GW fan I was a wee bit upset at this, however, Nige has been buried in the garden so that would make it easier. My relatives in Oz had two dog graves in their garden with the headstones and everything (they had land). So wish I could have done that for all my pets.

CC

I read that Monty Don's dog Nigel has died. As a big GW fan I was a wee bit upset at this, however, Nige has been buried in the garden so that would make it easier. My relatives in Oz had two dog graves in their garden with the headstones and everything (they had land). So wish I could have done that for all my pets.

CC
I heard about Nigel too. Monty was on 'Today'. I love him. He was blessed that Nigel went suddenly but quickly, so it was a good death, itms. He also said that Nigel had a wonderful life. Monty has received tens of thousands of letters/maybe even 100k? (not entirely sure) Nigel was such a super dog. Love to You, Monty (hope so!) Nigel & the pup.

Personally I think its lovely that presenters, where possible, have their pets on air with them. I loved it when Paul o'Grady has his Buster was it ? sat on his presenting desk, when he had his show years ago.

My late husband was devoted to his 2 whippets when he died, (resulting with me being left with them and a border terrier puppy). I had them for many years after, but when they too passed I put their ashes on my husband's grave, and tied their leads around his headstone, which, incidentally included engraved whippet heads on his stone. So they were eventually all together again.

Personally I think its lovely that presenters, where possible, have their pets on air with them. I loved it when Paul o'Grady has his Buster was it ? sat on his presenting desk, when he had his show years ago.

My late husband was devoted to his 2 whippets when he died, (resulting with me being left with them and a border terrier puppy). I had them for many years after, but when they too passed I put their ashes on my husband's grave, and tied their leads around his headstone, which, incidentally included engraved whippet heads on his stone. So they were eventually all together again.

I understand that whippets can make lovely little dogs. I do rather fancy the Italian Greyhounds - but so fragile compared to my exuberant, robust Springer.

Thank you, Twilight.

Jasper is my avatar. I have to chase Jamie round the house, to get his picture. Just one of his little idiosyncrasies! Jasper's a real poser.

I forgot to mention that he (Jasper) doesn't purr, which no-one's been able to explain, for us. Instead, his body buzzes, or vibrates. It's really comical, watching his paws vibrate, when he's on his back, or his side. He also loves rolling over, but only if he's sure you're watching!

Thank you, Twilight.

Jasper is my avatar. I have to chase Jamie round the house, to get his picture. Just one of his little idiosyncrasies! Jasper's a real poser.

I forgot to mention that he (Jasper) doesn't purr, which no-one's been able to explain, for us. Instead, his body buzzes, or vibrates. It's really comical, watching his paws vibrate, when he's on his back, or his side. He also loves rolling over, but only if he's sure you're watching!

❤ Bless him, & Jasper too!

I understand that whippets can make lovely little dogs. I do rather fancy the Italian Greyhounds - but so fragile compared to my exuberant, robust Springer.

Yes, Italian Greyhounds are very small and delicate, so you to have think carefully about any potential environment. Whippets are wonderful dogs. Mainly placid, friendly, and love nothing more than to stretch out - preferably on the sofa with their noses under a cushion !! Downside ? they're like cuddling a giraffe - all bony elbows :)

I have my Sherpa, Zanzi and Delilah's ashes in a special box under my bed. I talk to them sometimes.

Zanzi actually did come back after he died. I would catch a glimpse of a brown cat out of the corner of my eye and immediately thought it was Delilah who was always laying sleeping in another room. For a year after he died at night randomly, I would feel a cat jump on the bed and even felt the pressure and weight against my legs. Again I thought it was Delilah who would appear sometime later and jump on the bed and walk-up to the head of the bed. He stopped coming when my SIL came to stay from Canada and I let her have my bed.

Yes, Italian Greyhounds are very small and delicate, so you to have think carefully about any potential environment. Whippets are wonderful dogs. Mainly placid, friendly, and love nothing more than to stretch out - preferably on the sofa with their noses under a cushion !! Downside ? they're like cuddling a giraffe - all bony elbows :)

Yikes! I like a bit of muscle to munch. In full fur. Obie is a terrible fidget howevs. It's when he gets too warm. They don't call it the 'Springer Sprawl' for nothing!

Latest posts

Back