Honora and their ring pearls

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
I know I'm going to get flack for this post but I am going to say it anyway.

A ringed pearl is not, to my mind, a perfect pearl. Now I know that there are few "perfect" pearls but I think the fact that they are ringed should be reflected in the price.

You would never have had the Royal Family in ringed pearls or some Hollywood movie star.

Old fashioned simulated pearls like Lotus and Stratton were never "ringed". They were made to simulate perfection and were completely round.

I love pearls and I have several different necklaces, earrings, bracelets etc but I don't pay the earth for them. Betsy Kaye sells them very reasonably unlike Honora who charge the earth. Whatshisface has just had an 11 - 12mm white pearl necklace on which was beautiful till they zoomed in and I could see it was ringed. There is just no consistency in his pricing. Some necklaces contain perfect rounded pearls and are under £50 where others have countless rings and cost much more. It is baffling.

I'm not fooled at all by Honora and I don't believe this top 3% malarky. Pearls become more lustrous the more you wear them because they are organic and react with the oils in the skin provided you don't spray them with anything of course.

And as for these corded pearls and bracelets, I think they are awful.

(waits for the flack).

I don't mind the smaller ringed pearls, but the bigger ones don't seem so nice somehow. x

I though Honora were reasonably priced (ok cheapie) pearls when I first saw them.......but them seemed to have crept up and up in price over the years.

I have a love/hate relationship with pearls....................I have some Majorca pearls that were bought for me on my wedding day - I have a vintage pearl cuff that belonged to my great grandmother.Love both but sadly never seem to wear as feel quite *dated* with the rest of my "look/style".

I have got some Lee sands and honora long string pearls (look near identical to each other) in pastels which may come out once in a blue moon in the summer - they just don't seem to be my thing - although I think I love them,when I'm watching.

I like todays TSV but in my heart when I look at my extensive earring collection :rock: I know they're not for me,I like things a bit more quirky :rock:

I though Honora were reasonably priced (ok cheapie) pearls when I first saw them.......but them seemed to have crept up and up in price over the years.

I have a love/hate relationship with pearls....................I have some Majorca pearls that were bought for me on my wedding day - I have a vintage pearl cuff that belonged to my great grandmother.Love both but sadly never seem to wear as feel quite *dated* with the rest of my "look/style".

I have got some Lee sands and honora long string pearls (look near identical to each other) in pastels which may come out once in a blue moon in the summer - they just don't seem to be my thing - although I think I love them,when I'm watching.

I like todays TSV but in my heart when I look at my extensive earring collection :rock: I know they're not for me,I like things a bit more quirky :rock:

Can I mention that if you do have pearls you inherited they need to be restrung before you wear them as the cord will deteriorate over time.
Persoanlly I prefer pearls with more personality rather then perfectly round "perfect"ones

I am not a big fan of pearls. And particularly not the perfect round white pearls. They're just not me. For a start they don't suit my dark olive skin tone. Black or grey pearls are better against my skin or the dyed pearls. And actually the only "new" pearls I own are Honora ringed pearls. I like their imperfections.

I own inherited pearls that are the traditional White round pearls but they rarely see the light of day. The inherited pearl and ruby ring I have do get worn but they're seed pearls set into a band design which is quite a different way of setting/wearing pearls. The pearls are wee too and not perfect.

I have imported a HECK of a lot of gems from Asia in the past, the main bulk being pearl items (Akoya, CFW, Shell etc) and 10 years ago, those ringed pearls were considered faulty, and virtual rejects.

Much the same as Cognac diamonds. Cognac diamonds are not fancy, they are dark little discoloured efforts, that haven't made the grade

Once again some clever sales person has come along over the years and thought "hmm we cannot let these fails go in the bin, lets sell them as something special" LOL BINGO!!

By all accounts, in the ringed pearl defense, the ringed CFW pearl luster is pretty good. Whereas, Some perfect cylindrical pearls can be a little chalky, however, as I was introduced to the little ringed pearl in 1995 as a 'fault' pearl, I will personally always see these beads as a deformed beads, that do not deserve hand silk thread knotting

Different however... widening the choices.

Last edited:
Wouldn`t do for us all to like the same would it?
Personally I like the ringed pearls they look more real to me ..you may as well pay for simulated ones as pay the astronomical prices of the perfect ones who will have folks thinking are they real or not anyway.. lol
The not so perfect ones look more modern to me and some simulated ones are the same price as the ringed ones. I like the more natural looking colours and not the brightly coloured ones. At the end of the day its what suits you and are comfortable with.

I just love pearls ! I very much enjoy watching the Honora shows on QVC & I learn a lot about how pearls are produced. I have quite a few Honora necklaces . My favourites are the graduated rondels with the rocker clasp & also a long string of coin pearls in shades of gold , bronze & silver.
I have a string of ringed pearls which I like very much and the rings are not very noticable , perhaps because the colour is pistachio .
I prefer white or pastel colours to the strong jewel colours ( except for black ! ).
I prefer to have several affordable items , that I can wear without worrying rather than a single more perfect strand of pearls .
Ideally I'd like to have both !!!

This might sound silly, sorry. :sad: I like the ringed pearls but I think of them more as "beads" rather than the classic pearls. As such I would like to see them used in more unusual & "on-trend" settings if you know what I mean.

I do like pearls have a few floating necklaces from Honora over the years and two not floating from ebay but older Honora ones. I do not like the ringed pearls at all. But that is just personal taste. I have bought lots of stud pearl earrings on ebay direct from China and they are gorgeous, yes dyed in many colours but very pretty and they cost very very little. Infact it was cheaper to buy two or three pair at a time to save on postage. Then bought two pair of small drops natural lavender on gold which still pretty cheap. Oh one pair is more blue lavender and the other pink lilac.

I totally agree with the op..ringed pearls are faulty and it's just clever marketing that sells them as something special. I do not expect pearls to be perfect ( not at the price I can afford) but do expect them to be smooth with no rings, pits or blisters.

I like pearls in theory - I love looking at them but rarely find myself wearing them! I have one strand of cream/pink Akoya pearls and matching stud earrings bought from a fine independent jeweller as a gift and they are perfect and beautiful but I can't remember the last time I wore them.

I bought a very long black Honora ring pearl necklace a few years ago but after 30 days it just didn't seem to come out of my jewellery box enough to justify the cost so back it went. I did like the ring pearls though, that wasn't the issue.

The ones I can't stand are baroques - for some reason I find the shape of them *really* unattractive. This means that though I love Tahitian and South Sea pearls (and I do wear the ones I've got!) most of QVC's inventory is ruled out for me (which is probably no bad thing budget-wise! :whew:)

I have nothing against the baroques or the keishi pearls, I have some in fact. To me they are just different shaped and obviously are still made by a mollusc of some sort.

What I object to is something being sold as if it is what we should all be striving to own when it is in fact a reject of nature.

Very often you cannot see what you are buying from the pictures on QVC and as we all know the camera people seldom get to the article in time on a programme for us to have a good close look.

For those of you who like them, all well and good, but they should be sold in the same way as a flawed diamond of bad colour or with many inclusions and not as the "must have" objects that whatshisface goes on about. For the life of me I cannot remember this nondescript man's name!

i like the ringed pearls and hate the perfect looking white ones.the black ringed pearls that i have are my favourites. for all thier imperfections!

Ralph is the name your looking for and in his defence I don't find him nondescript, everyones different !!!! thank goodness !!!!xx

It's just personal taste. I don't like ringed pearls at all. On the other hand, I quite like the keishi/baroque/biwa pearls. I think they look more stylish - especially one or two large pearls set into a ring or earrings.

i love pearls of all types except the ringed ones, to me they put me in mind of the plastic "popper" bead necklaces that I draped on myself when playing at dressing up in my childhood! I really want some keshi pearls, have been looking around in the dreaded high street as well as on Q.

All our tastes are keeping someone in the money !! lol
I don`t like Keshi pearls especially if they are white or cream as some of the shapes remind me of old teeth, we all see something different in our likes and dislikes just like the folks who present them to us.

Latest posts

Back