Kipling question for hand luggage

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mollymoo

Registered Shopper
I've got my eye on the July bag or the Art M to replace my old faithful bag :(

Has anyone got either of them ...finding so many different measurements online for them - last thing I want to do is spend £70-100 on one too big and have to send back.

thanks ladies

Honestly I think it depends on who you're flying with, if you're going with one of the budget airlines they seem to be more strict. Virgin Atlantic are very relaxed they seem to allow people to board with the biggest pieces of hand luggage imaginable that barely fits into the overhead locker! Sorry that's a bugbear of mine haha...

Both of the bags you mentioned in my opinion would both be fine for any airline! They aren't that big. Hope that helps :mysmilie_50:

We are going with Jet2 this June but have just gone with Easyjet - when my old bag ripped....
Agree about people taking sizes of luggage...the sizes people carried on the Easyjet flight varied enormously...one was far bigger than they say. And to think I could have taken more clothes!!!

We are going with Jet2 this June but have just gone with Easyjet - when my old bag ripped....
Agree about people taking sizes of luggage...the sizes people carried on the Easyjet flight varied enormously...one was far bigger than they say. And to think I could have taken more clothes!!!

Yes! How do they get away with that? I'm always so rigorous in making sure that I don't exceed the weight or size limits!

See also - people who use clear bags larger than the specified size for liquids, why do they not get pulled up for that???!!!! My friend used a plastic bag that was almost as big as a ****** supermarket carrier bag and there was WAY over one litre of fluid in total in there, yet nothing was said when she went through the checks!

Grrrrrr, why bother following the rules?

It depends on the airport, I think. I was told my plastic bag was too big - and I only had two tiny items in it! They took it off me and made me buy a small one. Can't remember which airport it was though.
Amazing what passes for 'hand luggage' in America though!

Has anyone got either of them ...finding so many different measurements online for them - last thing I want to do is spend £70-100 on one too big and have to send back.

thanks ladies

Measurements on kipling own website should be the most reliable - art m 58x32x21 26 litres. Amazon have some under £50 depending on colour and the size matches kipling website (hope the link works)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015O3QVIM/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I've got the kipling art m, I bought it at least 10 years ago. Because we tend to do long haul flights with checked luggage I only want a smaller bag for hand luggage, just to hold purse, book, passport, glasses etc. So I've never used the kipling art m for hand luggage, it's too big for what I want from hand luggage. I'm assuming you're wanting to know if someone's put one to the test of fitting the cabin bag measuring guage at check-in or taken one on board? I've not tried either with mine, but if you've got a specific question I'll try to answer if I can.

Thank you for your help.
Think the sizes are ok - one i think is a centimetre too big but though I try not to take the world with me - when we got to Crete in June I take things out for my daughter so every bit space helps!!
Beecause kipling are squashy think I'll get away with it!!
Just been out and the other options for me arent my cup of tea!!

thanks ladies

Hi there

I have a black kipling art m in black that I bought off Amazon several years ago.

I have just come back from holiday flying with Ryan Air using it as my hand luggage.

I didn't pack it up to the max (so side zips done up to give that handbag shape), and I made sure it didn't bulge out sideways (sure way to fail the Ryan Air handluggage test).

Worked no problem, and I had an additional handbag.

Spec for the one I bought :

Product Specifications
Colour Name: Black
Height 38.5 centimetres
Length 58 centimetres
Width 21 centimetres
Volume 40 litres
Weight 500 Grams
Material Type Fabric
Shell Type Soft
Special Features Shoulder Strap
Closure Type Zip

I've used it on British Airways as well.

It doesn't lock, so if you're going Ryan Air you either need to ensure you rush to the checkin to be among the first 90 passengers guaranteed to be able to have their cabin luggage with them, or pay extra for guaranteed cabin luggage.

Official dimensions off the Kipling website:

Size: 58 L x 32 H x 21 W cm medium
Weight: 0.5000 kg
Volume: 26 Litre
Material: 100% Polyamide
Style code: K0136203R00 999

Last edited:
Thank you ..didn't know about the Ryannair 90 ... need to remember that as we are usually one of the last checking in - hate airports, well I hate flying come to that!!

On the plastic bag for toiletries...

It is definitely best to adhere to the rules.

They now can calculate how much liquid you have (one of the reasons for the small clear plastic bag) and the maximum is 1 litre. So for example you can have 10x 100ml, or 20x 50ml in your bag. It's one bag, though. So if you have more, split between several bags they won't allow it - whatever doesn't fit goes in the bin, or it's back to check in your hand luggage... and for an airline like Ryan Air that is extremely expensive. I saw exactly that happen to a lady behind me at Stansted. She had about 5 of the correct size bags full to busting... so she then had to choose whether to go back and check in her bag or bin all but one bag of toiletries.

Always best to research beforehand.

In general the rule is:
Each liquid you carry must be in its own container of no more than 100ml (3.4 ounces).
All liquids should be carried in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of up to 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in) with a total capacity of up to a litre (approximately one quart).

But always check with whichever airline you are travelling with.

You can always bung stuff in pockets on coats or wear stuff (just don't make yourself ill doing it).

And remember, while Ryan Air have relaxed the strictly one piece of handluggage per passenger rule, other airlines may not have.

Generally it's worth checking as well whether the airline allows you to also have a bag containing any duty free shopping you have done. If not, that again can be an expensive mistake to make.

I would also add that Ryan Air make you pay for your hold baggage - you get 2 options, as far as I have seen: 15kg or 20kg. I went for 15kg and regretted it... far too stressful weighing and packing and weighing and repacking. Some of the package companies - like Jet2 are surprisingly generous in their allowances for free checked in baggage... I think it's something like 22kg.

There is a weight limit on your main cabin luggage - 10kg. Many airlines that don't specify do actually say "you must be able to place your handluggage in the overhead locker by yourself" - in other words - if you can't lift it, you can't bring it! That doesn't apply to laptop bag/handbag... though there are normally (certainly with Ryan Air) restrictions on the dimensions you can have for your handbag. While they didn't seem to be strict on the hand bag on the flights I have been on recently, that could be sheer luck. I just wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
The 2 bag thing doesnt affect me ..I hate handbags on holiday, my friend thinks it's wierd. I let the hubster sort money out etc I cant be bothered - carry one every other day of my life so have a rest from it!!

We were recently flying back from Malaga and I watched a woman try and get 4 full sized toiletries through - she was having a right go at security (in Spanish) - dont know where she's been past few years!!!

I am meticulous about the size and weight of my luggage and am in a state of panic as I am waiting for the bag drop convinced I have got it wrong.I usually go EasyJet where the size matters and not weight for hand baggage but I have seen people with huge carry on bags.I think you can upgraded for whatever cost to a ticket where you are allowed a larger bag & a handbag? I always have a small Kipling bag with passport & money but could always push it into my hand baggage if necessary.At Manchester last week some women with larger handbags had to do this.Once at Heathrow Terminal 5 I was behind 2 men surrounded by bags & one weighed in at 37kg then they started to re-pack, fortunately they opened another desk.

I have a Kipling Xl shoulder bag from Amazon which is a simiral style to the Art. I have travelled all over with lots of different airlines without any trouble. It's soft and flexible so with a bit of shoving and pushing, it's fits in all the luggage test size things. I am also able to carry a cross body bag with my purse and passport in addition.

Last year the man behind me was stopped because he had liquids in his hand luggage - turned out to a huge flask full of tea LOL

We just flew with Emirates and had 30kg allowance but we still only managed to use 18-20 kg. That is a lot of luggage!

You can always buy any toiletries etc in Boots once you have gone through security. That is a way to get round the liquids rule and they are the same price as the stores in town. I used to buy my suntan lotions there as it saved on weight (they are heavy) but now I am a more careful packer and don't take so much.

Last year the man behind me was stopped because he had liquids in his hand luggage - turned out to a huge flask full of tea LOL

We just flew with Emirates and had 30kg allowance but we still only managed to use 18-20 kg. That is a lot of luggage!

You can always buy any toiletries etc in Boots once you have gone through security. That is a way to get round the liquids rule and they are the same price as the stores in town. I used to buy my suntan lotions there as it saved on weight (they are heavy) but now I am a more careful packer and don't take so much.

That's an excellent idea, providing the toiletries you would need are available in Boots.

When I was in Tenerife, there were excellent chemists which sold a fantastic array of skincare, and a much wider and better choice of excellent quality sun products. I don't think I will take any sun products with me next time I head abroad... just buy what I need while I'm there and discard the rest.

Even if you have a massive luggage allowance, it doesn't mean you have to use it. 20kg is plenty heavy enough, I think. More is fine when you can roll it along effortlessly, but once you've got to put some effort into it, or lift or carry the bag... it's stressful and unpleasant.

Recently returned from Australia. Having hauled a massive quantity of Ultrasun with me, I was somewhat miffed to find huge dispensers of free sunscreen on almost every shop and cafe counter, and by the pool in our hotels! Apparently it is a campaign by the Australian Cancer Council or something. I still used my Ultrasun, mainly because I didn't want to have to haul it all back home!

That's an excellent idea, providing the toiletries you would need are available in Boots.

When I was in Tenerife, there were excellent chemists which sold a fantastic array of skincare, and a much wider and better choice of excellent quality sun products. I don't think I will take any sun products with me next time I head abroad... just buy what I need while I'm there and discard the rest.

Even if you have a massive luggage allowance, it doesn't mean you have to use it. 20kg is plenty heavy enough, I think. More is fine when you can roll it along effortlessly, but once you've got to put some effort into it, or lift or carry the bag... it's stressful and unpleasant.

If there is a specific type of sun cream etc. you want then you can order online before you go on the Boots website and they do click and collect at most airport stores. Just make sure you choose the departures Boots store rather than arrivals!

Just flown Norwegian Air and they didn't weigh our hand luggage. I was quite miffed as I'd spent ages packing and unpacking to make sure I didn't exceed the 10kilo allowance. I do now buy some toiletries after security, got my hairspray 3 for the price of 2, toothpaste and deodorant, what with my sandwich for onboard and a drink, magazines, I was well laden down. I did get asked before boarding if I wanted to check the hand luggage in free of charge, but as it included some expensive medical equipment for my husband I declined. I had my 4 wheel Kipling case which was a dream to navigate through the airport.

Last year I bought 2 of the Tripp holdalls in the Debenhams sale. They are brilliant, lightweight, roomy, come with a detachable shoulder strap as well as short handles, hold plenty and some nice patterns as well as plain. Perfect as hand luggage.
They`re currently in their sale this year too.
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs...oreId=10701&catalogId=10001&txt=tripp+holdall

Wow great discounts, might get one. I have a Tripp suitcase which still looks as good as new after many years, good quality stuff.

Latest posts

Back