Kirks Folly - She’s back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Clearly she was having a 'moment' on air, but who hasn't been horrified by seeing themselves in a shop mirror or recoiled at a terrible photograph and wondering who the hell that old woman is ?

I noticed the deterioration once I passed 60, but now I'm over 70 the hooded lids are making me look like an aged oriental lady, and even putting make up on is becoming a challenge. Instead of 'shoving' lipstick on its more of an art lesson trying not to make the lipcolour bleed, then recolouring eyebrows is not easy when the natural line is motoring through a deep wrinkle, and then there's the blusher - too much and hey its Coco the Clown, too little and you don't walk past the Funeral Directors in case they're having an Open Day !!!!

So I can sympathise with her particularly when you're sat next to a young, nubile and beautifully made up model - which, once upon a time, was you.
I’m with you brissles, I’ve aged this past year, I’m 63, and look better with a bit of weight on. I wear lip salve under my lipstick and it never bleeds, blusher I haven't worn for decades but have considered trying again to rid the ghost look, sparse eyebrows are a bugbear but since using paler shade I’ve been happier with result and it’s less painstaking.

Some of the clothes were ok. I liked the poet shirt but never bought anything. They reminded me of the beadwear tops churned out in Hong Kong for nothing like dream keeper prices. Also, it was all occasion wear and I’m not about to glam up to watch the telly.

Clearly she was having a 'moment' on air, but who hasn't been horrified by seeing themselves in a shop mirror or recoiled at a terrible photograph and wondering who the hell that old woman is ?

I noticed the deterioration once I passed 60, but now I'm over 70 the hooded lids are making me look like an aged oriental lady, and even putting make up on is becoming a challenge. Instead of 'shoving' lipstick on its more of an art lesson trying not to make the lipcolour bleed, then recolouring eyebrows is not easy when the natural line is motoring through a deep wrinkle, and then there's the blusher - too much and hey its Coco the Clown, too little and you don't walk past the Funeral Directors in case they're having an Open Day !!!!

So I can sympathise with her particularly when you're sat next to a young, nubile and beautifully made up model - which, once upon a time, was you.
Earlier this week I watched a snippet of an interview Judi Dench did with Gyles Brandreth last year, she's in her mid eighties, her face shows this & she looks as though someone's tried to draw her many times but not erased the pencil marks they don't want. However, she is beautiful, her bone structure is wonderful & the minimal amount of make up she wears is enough. You're a kitten compared to that lovely lady & I'm sure you look glorious, Coco the Clown my foot!

I’m with you brissles, I’ve aged this past year, I’m 63, and look better with a bit of weight on. I wear lip salve under my lipstick and it never bleeds, blusher I haven't worn for decades but have considered trying again to rid the ghost look, sparse eyebrows are a bugbear but since using paler shade I’ve been happier with result and it’s less painstaking.
I use an eyebrow powder & put it on with a narrow angled brush.

Just had a mooch on Kirks Folly facebook page and there`s lots of people wetting their knickers in the excitement of having them back on QVC UK. She`ll be blowing fairy dust from here to kingdom come !
She’ll have to have a hell of a puff on her; guessing she won’t be flying over, so she’ll have to blow it across the Atlantic…😋

I never had any reason to buy any of her jewellery, but mostly watched to see what happened seeing her blow the glitter, and all the fairy stuff, will be interesting, to see who the presenter is, will it be the likes of Debbie, Dale or Charlie who would have worked with her in the past or a newbie.

RIP Joan Rivers, but I used to watch her shows for the same reason, the difference being deep down you realised she thought all the stuff she was selling was terrible also

I wouldn’t touch KF with a barge pole and personally I find all that fairy dust mumbo jumbo sinister as it seems to be aimed at vunerable people.

However I do have a few pieces from Joan R and they are fine for costume jewellery, good enough quality but as I remember they weren’t exactly cheap.

Her products were marketed as being magical, mystical, lucky, healing etc. You can’t make those claims now. Fairy dust was blown at certain callers for good luck.Viewers used to phone in to say they believed in fairies, and saw them regularly, and were actively encouraged to do so. It was like some sort of cult, with pictures of the parties that Jennifer Kirk used to hold at her home, grown women prancing about dressed as fairies, and I’m sure there were men dressed up as ‘fairy kings’. Quite disturbing! Q don’t allow Lola Rose to talk about the properties of their various stones, as they tried to go down that route some time ago. Anna occasionally manages to get in a hint , with ‘look on our website’ for information.
A lot of what they did stayed more on the sentimental, positive-thinking side of things, though. I have to say I don't remember it being like a fairy-believing cult. A lot of people like the idea of magical beings, without ardently believing in them. Take unicorns, for example. I'm sure there's still a market for KF products and, I suppose, we can't expect everything to be to our own tastes or preferences - it would be a pretty boring world.

I remember she had events outside in a very large garden, not sure if it was her garden? But the video was shown a few times on QVC UK. Yes, fairy figures peeping out from trees etc.

Didn't she blow the glitter fairy dust as good luck from the fairies?

There was once a picture on Q of Jenniefer Kirk's house and it was beautiful. I think she did have big fairy parties in her garden as well, or it was a set up for a promo. I thought the jewellery and chimes were tacky but obviously some people loved them. I didn't like the way that the Guardian Angel type things were sold, however, lots of people take comfort from things like that so who am I to disagree?

I will be watching with interest when it all returns.

CC

I always had the impression that she was a kind & gentle person. She obviously had a lovely relationship with her daughter & siblings & I admire anyone who has started a business, seen it flourish & not sold out. I have a KF Christmas tree brooch & two sets of earrings, crescent moons & stars, that I've always worn as a mismatched pair & I enjoy all of them. If someone finds comfort in fairy dust, a guardian angel pin or a pair of whimsical earrings good for them. When my mum was dying a colleague gave me a collection of crystals for healing & support. I didn't tell anyone, not even my Mr T, about them but there were times when I'd just sit & twiddle these pretty stones around in the palm of my hand, think about the mum that I was losing & all the glorious times we'd shared.

The fairy thing was harmless when it comes to Kirks Folly, a bit girly but it was no cult. I watched a couple of shows with slight amusement and everything has a following - everyone's point of view is objective. I purchased from QVC some cherub pins I think they were KF, to give out to members of a club I belonged as we had Angels in it's name. I had one spare and just so happened, in a random kind of way, to show it to my best friend's mum who had known since I was a toddler. She immediately fell in love with it and I gave it to her and she found great comfort in it. She died 2 years later and amoung her belongings was still this cherub pin, it still amazes me which something that didn't mean that much to me meant so much to her. She often talked about it to me and I feel we should never mock or belittle what people like. If I'm honest I think Kirks Folly bashing which has been on this forum forever is quite nasty. But hey, that's my opinion.

I always thought of the person who had to clear up the fairy dust, you would find it everywhere for weeks.
Yes everywhere.

It all screams 1990's to me. In the early/mid 90's it was all about wearing crushed velvet maxi skirts and tunics with little mirrors sewn in. Most of my wardrobe consisted of loose fitting purple, midnight blue and forest green garments and of course black. Doc Martens on my feet, a fancy cross on a leather thong around my neck, stars n' moon dangly earrings - I thought I was the bees knees. Looking back on old pics - I can tell you that I wasn't lol! Then it was the other paraphenalia that went with all this, wind chimes at every window, dream catchers hanging off the bed posts - I found the only thing they "caught" was dust. Sorry folks, if this has always been your look, it must suit you and mean something to you - Not just a passing fad, so good on you...but for me this sort of stuff can stay in the dustbin of history along with all the Bon Jovi played on panpipes cds and others of that ilk. Good grief, nearly forgot about the cloying stench of incense running through my house and the trails of joss stick ash on the window sills . Thanks for the memories folks!

Latest posts

Back