Liz earle shock.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Awkward Annie

Registered Shopper
Donna, ( or anyone ) Heard today that Liz Earle is actually owned by Avon can this be true? If so HOW ... WHEN....WHY...Does this mean we're paying Liz Earle prices for Avon products and before I offend anyone I've nothing against Avon (luv their body butters) but I've just spent £85 on Liz Earle (on Easy pay but still) I'm sorry if this has already been discussed on here but I'm just so SHOCKED!:mysmilie_466:

Yes, I think she sold the company to Avon a couple of years ago for a few million, it has been discussed on here, she is contracted to work for the brand for just 25 days a year, said she wanted to be remembered for more than making a pot of moisturiser or something along those lines. Started up company/charity called Live Twice. I think some of the products have been "tweaked" a bit and some people feel not for the better, I am personally not impressed with the make up range and feel you can get better on the high street, I like and use Avon but think liz Earle make up is very similar to some Avon products , I am sure other forum members are better acquainted with the facts than me but hope this helps

Thank you L-B-A, I'm still reeling from the shock!!

This is why many LE customers stopped using the products. Those of us who bought LE because it was cruelty-free were sold down the river by Ms Earle in March 2010 when she sold to Avon. She made millions out of us by pretending she cared about animals and then sold us out for many millions more by selling to Avon - a company that routinely uses animals in its testing and has been proven to lie about it to try to con its customers. Liz Earle is a greedy, unprincipled woman for whom, clearly, the fortune she already had wasn't enough.

I know I feel as though i have been stabbed in the back! I believed everything she said. I never thought I'd say this but I'll be switching to another brand!!

Yes sold back in 2010 it seems reading online(I did not think it was that long ago???), they now seem to be changing the ingredients list putting the cheaper up first and the other down below. There was talk that the Instant Boost was different and when checked the ingredient list is different and they no longer use organic aloe vera(can't get it now it seems).

The first big change was the removal of the almond milk for the C&P, but it was for our good and it could cause allergies in people with nut problems. Yet they upped the coco butter which apart from being dirt cheap clogs pores and causes breakouts in loads of people.

I know I feel as though i have been stabbed in the back! I believed everything she said. I never thought I'd say this but I'll be switching to another brand!!

Well done, AA, good move. I am an animal rights activist, and have been vegetarian for over 30 years, so I do not use any prroduct, not just skincare, which has been tested on animals, or contains animal ingredients. I can comprehend, however, that the lure of millions of pounds will be quite tempting, if you want to provide financial security for your family. We all have a conscience; it is that which tells us what is right and wrong from a moral perspective. Mine would not allow me to do as she did. LE is presented as this nature loving, healthy living wife and mother, who does her utmost to protect the environment. not a bit of it! With some people, where money is concerned, principles mean nothing.

Thanks Louise. My feelings now have turned from shock to anger that I'd heard nothing about this on QVC,( I know it's not in their interest) but I thought they cared about the customers feelings.it might seem trivial to get so annoyed about a few beauty products but I like you ( and millions of others ) am dead against animal testing and feel I have the right to know where my considerate amount of money is actually going!

I understand your concerns, AA. I raised this issue a few weeks ago. It feels instinctively wrong that the much hailed LE products are made by Avon esp in view of animal welfare & testing concerns and wider ethical considerations. LE has many loyal followers here who argued that she had the right to sell the company any way she saw fit and to do so for purely financial reasons. That's just business I guess.

I'm not surprised that QVC have stayed quiet about it, I notice that they don't seem to have as many dedicated LE shows as they used to but they still sell the products so I guess that many customers don't know or care about the Avon connection. I can understand people feeling betrayed or disappointed though

Last edited:
Liz Earle, Bellapierre and WEN are the only brands QVC sell that are certified cruelty free. I understand the concern people may have over Avon ownership of Liz Earle brand regarding animal testing, but do wonder if those with concerns continue to buy other beauty brands from QVC that are not certified cruelty free.

Donna, ( or anyone ) Heard today that Liz Earle is actually owned by Avon can this be true? If so HOW ... WHEN....WHY...Does this mean we're paying Liz Earle prices for Avon products and before I offend anyone I've nothing against Avon (luv their body butters) but I've just spent £85 on Liz Earle (on Easy pay but still) I'm sorry if this has already been discussed on here but I'm just so SHOCKED!:mysmilie_466:

Money talks ...always ....

Yes I stopped buying when avon took over.I still buy the shampoo for my son but if I could wean him onto another I would.I dont care to give them my custom anymore!

My C&P still carries the bunny logo - could this be false then? If so, I'm chucking it!

But surely if the LE company is purely a subsidiary, and the LE products continue in the original philosophy then what is the problem?

Perhaps the values of the LE brand might make their way into the wider group of companies.

I think you're being harsh on Liz Earle - she may have made the decision for all sorts of reasons:

- the volume of production may have grown beyond their abilities and to keep expanding they needed a bigger backer, or
- she just wanted to reap the benefits of her success and release time to spend with her family.

She created a brand you love, it still seems to operate to its original values so what's the problem?

From 2001 -2008 MacDonalds owned a large share of Pret a Manger... but Pret didn't change their menu to include fries... similar scenario of diversification of group holdings.

I have just had the latest 'Beauty Insider' sent to me from Liz Earle (or should I say Avon) today. Liz is guest editing the leaflet and says it is 'my pleasure to introduce James Wong to the Liz Earle family, joining the team as our new Ethnobotanist.' (He presented 'Grow Your Own Drugs' on BBC2.) The long standing Ethnobotanist Jennifer Hirsch 'left' when Liz did.
The edition also celebrates C&P winning its 100th award but nowhere is there any mention of Avon which I think is really misleading customers. It has made me sick for a long time how that Caroline Archer can go on QVC spouting about Liz Earle being a British Brand when it is now actually American owned. I have nothing against Avon but I just wish they would be truthful about Liz Earle being owned by them now. I suppose they daren't because people who are not already in the know may leave in droves and stop buying. Its so coincidental that the hideous make-up range and the new and nasty bath products have been developed since Liz sold out. There's no way she would have allowed such rubbish herself. I am surprised she still wants her name associated with this crap.

My C&P still carries the bunny logo - could this be false then? If so, I'm chucking it!

No, Liz Earle is certified cruelty free but the parent company - Avon - isn't. Burts Bees, Superdrug, The Body Shop .... are certified cruelty free but their parent companies arent.

I have just had the latest 'Beauty Insider' sent to me from Liz Earle (or should I say Avon) today. Liz is guest editing the leaflet and says it is 'my pleasure to introduce James Wong to the Liz Earle family, joining the team as our new Ethnobotanist.' (He presented 'Grow Your Own Drugs' on BBC2.) The long standing Ethnobotanist Jennifer Hirsch 'left' when Liz did.
The edition also celebrates C&P winning its 100th award but nowhere is there any mention of Avon which I think is really misleading customers. It has made me sick for a long time how that Caroline Archer can go on QVC spouting about Liz Earle being a British Brand when it is now actually American owned. I have nothing against Avon but I just wish they would be truthful about Liz Earle being owned by them now. I suppose they daren't because people who are not already in the know may leave in droves and stop buying. Its so coincidental that the hideous make-up range and the new and nasty bath products have been developed since Liz sold out. There's no way she would have allowed such rubbish herself. I am surprised she still wants her name associated with this crap.

Probably no different from The Body Shop, for example, who I suspect won't have a statement alongside their cruelty free bunny logo that they are owned by L'Oreal.

I hear what your saying Tiddlywinks but can anyone know just how much influence Liz still has over the products, not much I wouldn't have thought! and for how long. I'm sorry but I still feel conned!

I hear what your saying Tiddlywinks but can anyone know just how much influence Liz still has over the products, not much I wouldn't have thought! and for how long. I'm sorry but I still feel conned!

The same could be said for Uncle Ben's rice, Ford cars etc. brands grow, they become more than the individual, that's business.

Latest posts

Back