Makeup before/afters --- ggggrrrrr....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lilylurknomore

Registered Shopper
...... Why oh why oh why do they always have to have models with perfect skin???? How can you demonstrate a product that is supposed to cover up areas of redness, skin discolouration, pigmentation, acne etc on someone that doesn't bleedin have those problems in the first place?!! I want to see if there actually IS a difference!!

Also I think that the before shots always look better than the afters anyway! They always look way over made up, way too powdery, cakey or just plain awful and if that's what the model looks like, what's the normal woman on the street (moi... although I'm not on a street ie streetworker, I hasten to add, gulp) supposed to look like!?!?

And why is it that when these models with perfect skin that I always think look way better in the before shots sitting there simpering and pouting with NO MAKEUP (yeah right, apart from eye shadow, mascara, full foundation and thick lipgloss), why is it that I STILL PIGGIN FALL FOR IT AND BUY THE BLEEDIN STUFF?!! After sending back two Laura Geller TSV's in the past for them not being my colour, yesterday, I bought the balance and brighten in not one but TWO shades!! :wonder:

I think I need a lay down!!

It annoys the hell out of me too lily, I have always had 'issues' with my skin. Acne until my early 40s and hyperpigmentation now. How can I tell if the foundations & concealers will really cover my problem complexion when it's being smeared onto near perfect faces? They should get some members of the public in without model looks so that we can see if the slap does it's job or not.

I have rosecea and TBH like to buy my make up from QVC for the very reason that they allow to you try (supposedly!) i love make up but its a constant pain to try and find something that suits my skin.I bought the LG OTO last night when to be honest it was modelled on someone who has completely different skin age/colour/complextion to me - so the chances of it suiting me are very slim.

I realise they can't have a model for every skin/tone/age - but think they should be more realistic with who they choose.

I did note the other day they had a model on the BE hour with apparently rosecea - but even then,it was totally different to ine,and I couldn't realte to her:down:

I agree, is that Deborah Anne? the one they wheel out and insinuate she's got a face like the Singing Detective and she's got vaguely flushed cheeks. Grrrr indeed.

Sorry to say it but Laura Geller looks like a racoon round the eyes in the 5.00pm show.

The hair before and afters are the other main culprit. The model starts off with flat hair that doesn't look like it's been washed for a week and abracadabra, after a wash, beautiful hair. They just miss out the most important point that they've had a good blow dry and that's why their hair looks so bouncy.

I have news for Laura Gellar, the B&B didn't adapt to my skin tone unless my skin tone was that of an oompa loompa.

Last edited:
Some products look fabulous, cover up redness etc in the demonstration. However, my experience in real life is few products are still doing the job as little as half an hour later when the skin issue starts reappearing.

I've just ordered LG real deal concealer which promises to do a good cover up job lasting several hours. We'll see.

Its the concealer which really p*sses me off. None of the models actually have dark circles to start with. AY etc go on about how brilliant, which ever brand is look at the different they say. The models never has darkness to cover any bleedy way.:down:

I'll gladly go in and get LG to give me a make over, I've got a few craters that need covering up and dark circles that make me look like I've done ten rounds with Cassius Clay. If she can cover that lot up then good luck to her. I daren't smile today in case my face cracks, the amount of concealer I'm wearing.

I get really pee'd off with the 'backs of the hand' tricks. Noticed it on the Prai show yesterday. The back of your left hand is ALWAYS younger looking (unless you are left handed). I hate the way they insult your intelligence!!!

And the other thing that gets me is when they do a half face transformation or put a miracle eye product or eyeshadow on and the guest and presenter and standing there cooing... wow look at the difference, that's amazing... whilst I'm sitting two foot away from the screen, thinking I can't see any difference!!

Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in Bone springs to mind!! An eyeshadow that's invisible on the skin!! What's the point?! Ggggrrrr.

I hate the way they always use young perfect skin models and they always seem to have the same ones as well. They occasionally have an older person but very rarely. Now that would be an invite worth having. If they emailed a few female customers asking if they would be interested in appearing on a make up show.

I agree, is that Deborah Anne? the one they wheel out and insinuate she's got a face like the Singing Detective and she's got vaguely flushed cheeks. Grrrr indeed.

They always do the half face challenge with her and use the cheek where nothing is wrong and leave the other red cheek with nothing on lol!

But in truth it always does cover it in the end, I think that through the telly it doesn't look over done but whenever I do it at home, I look caked!!

Cover up makeup

Hi

If you are after a make that will cover up anything I can highly recommend dermablend. They used to do it on QVC years ago - and the guest who used to come up had a massive port wine stain on her right cheek - it was bright purple and it covered that up perfectly. I used it for a couple of years - and it covered up everything - it was water proof and you had to have a special remover to take it off. Didn't have to wear a sunblock then - because there no way the UV was getting through this! Did it look heavy - not compared to other foundations. Why did I stop using this - the acne eventually cleared up - QVC discontinued it- and it was no longer necessary for me to phaff around and look for it as the spots calmed down.

my personal pet hate is when they use the models for any eye lift/face lift product and they always put it on the side that is naturally higher anyway. Frankie particularly has an asymetrical face with one eye and eyebrow naturally higher. Then they start to point out how that side is raised etc etc. also the lighting is totally changed for the after shots. just look at the background to the models you can see the difference in the lighting.

I hate the way they always use young perfect skin models and they always seem to have the same ones as well. They occasionally have an older person but very rarely. Now that would be an invite worth having. If they emailed a few female customers asking if they would be interested in appearing on a make up show.

in the 5pm hour I thought the before shots of Tara and Nicola made them look "ordinary" with their blotchy faces (just like mine!!). I'd quite like to try a Laura G blusher but never know which colour to go for - with silver hair and quite fair skin can anyone recommend one..? Isn't it daft that we cover up our red cheeks with foundation then put them back on????

Last edited:
The thing that bugs me is that all these models have one chin and perfect bone structure so of course they're going to look good.:envy:

But how about people like me with at least 3 chins, no visible cheekbones and tiny, hooded eyes???? How about getting some "real" women to do make-up demonstrations on then we all might learn something.

Although this annoys me too, I have to laugh at seeing the models working the camera constantly. You'd think their noses were attached with a length of elastic - the guest only has to stop working for a millisecond and their heads turn, looking for the current "on" camera. And those smiles are so false, it's sickening.

Jo who models for the LG shows has quite a frightening stare. For those of you old enough to remember the stare reminds me of the keyboard player that used to be with sparks.

Latest posts

Back