Mature models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I do hope that you got that dress at a good ‘price point’, whatever that may be.
The dress itself was £33 and I was happy with that price, it was reduced from £60 which I wouldn't have paid for polyester how ever much I liked it. I wasn't happy with the £4.95 postage - way over the top but it brought the price to a shade under £38 which is the top end of what I'd have been prepared to pay for the dress, so yes all good.

🐒?!!! I guess the sold swing dresses and Monkey boots lol!
Montgomery Ward, the now defunct dept store in California was called 'Monkey Ward' by some people.

Well I took a leap of faith and I ordered the dress despite there being one scathing one star review and not really having much idea how it'll look on me or what size to get. I was tossing up between the size 10 and the size 12. In the end I ordered the 12 and so long as it doesn't swamp me then I'll be happy. I think I'd rather have something slightly too big than too small. The model looked as though she was a size 8 or 10. Maybe it was all the clothes she was wearing underneath that made it look fairly snug around the bust area. I prefer a looser fit around the bust and I can't stand even a hint of cleavage. The keyhole detail appeared to be placed high enough so as not to be an issue. I decided that I'd get shot of one of my dresses that I seldom wear as it's a bit too dressy in order to make room for it. I'll hold back on that until I know whether or not this dress is a keeper. If it is as bad as the reviewer said it'll be returned within 14 days so I'll get my postage refunded as well. I'll have to pay a couple of quid to send it back via EVRI but I can live with that - fingers crossed it's what I hoped for.
I hope it works out well for you.

Getting married in 1979 I bought a lot of my "bottom drawer" from mail order catalogues during my engagement period. So had quite a collection of stuff to get out of their boxes when we moved into our flat - it was like Christmas !

Very true CC. Anyone else notice also, that a lot of the "tunics" now being offered are almost knee length, - practically a short dress, and generally worn with leggings. Call me a cynic, but are we being subconsciously led down the path to dressing like our Asian sisters ?? I mean, just look at this years fashion for prairie style frocks. Up to the neck, arms covered and barely an ankle showing. Yes I wore these the first time around in the 70's but back then we weren't encompassed by diversity - nobody had even heard of the word !
Tunics are fine for tall women.
I’m 5 1 though. ☹️

I'm 5ft 2in and I wear them as a dress as my legs are short and those long tunics are just the right length.

CC

I revisited this thread because today I saw a proper old lady model, and it made a refreshing change from faked and caked likes of Tiff, Vivienne Westwood's nan in fact any one of the mature models who are obviously in the modelling business - This lady had white hair and no make up - how refreshing!
The other thing and this might just be me but is it compulsory that all the models have to a minimum of 5'8"? 5'10" seems to be the go to height for their models and the amount of times they have to tell you that the midi dress they're modelling will be a maxi if you're 5ft 5 or under, is nobody's business! Surely they can draft in some shorter girls. Off the top of my head I can't even picture Dannii Minogue's petite range being modelling by shorties apart from herself! Of course not all of the presenters are tall and they do model the clothing as well but that's not really the point. I remember reading somewhere that the average height for a female in the uk is 5ft 3 - This could be a load of tosh, but it wouldn't surprise me !
I know back in the day a fashion model had to be a certain height and if you were under it, you could only get a modelling job if you got yer tits out - "glamour modelling" I think they called it. This is the 21st century fgs so come on Q think about your customers and represent them properly, yes of course some will be tall, but a hell of a lot of them won't be - but well done on the unaffected looking mature lady today!

Did anybody watch the recent BBC programme "Chanel Unbuttoned" ? Obviously it was about Chanel, her life, her lovers and her business but during the programme they interviewed several of her ex models who are now old ladies. Even as elderly ladies most of them exuded their own style and way of dressing. I found them fascinating. Well worth watching.

I revisited this thread because today I saw a proper old lady model, and it made a refreshing change from faked and caked likes of Tiff, Vivienne Westwood's nan in fact any one of the mature models who are obviously in the modelling business - This lady had white hair and no make up - how refreshing!
The other thing and this might just be me but is it compulsory that all the models have to a minimum of 5'8"? 5'10" seems to be the go to height for their models and the amount of times they have to tell you that the midi dress they're modelling will be a maxi if you're 5ft 5 or under, is nobody's business! Surely they can draft in some shorter girls. Off the top of my head I can't even picture Dannii Minogue's petite range being modelling by shorties apart from herself! Of course not all of the presenters are tall and they do model the clothing as well but that's not really the point. I remember reading somewhere that the average height for a female in the uk is 5ft 3 - This could be a load of tosh, but it wouldn't surprise me !
I know back in the day a fashion model had to be a certain height and if you were under it, you could only get a modelling job if you got yer tits out - "glamour modelling" I think they called it. This is the 21st century fgs so come on Q think about your customers and represent them properly, yes of course some will be tall, but a hell of a lot of them won't be - but well done on the unaffected looking mature lady today!
The models are simply advertising, and Q wants the clothes to look at their "best" so viewers will buy them. Which is why models tend to be tall and skinny. It's good that they're using plus size models, but some of the poor curvy girls look horrific when they venture out from the wings clad in some overpriced stretchy tops and trousers that supposedly "skim the body", but make them look like overstuffed sausages.

I'm guessing that Q won't rush to hire petite models because they're either going to look like they're kids cosplaying as cowboy themed tents in Marla's wares, or little girls dressed in their mum's old nighties when modelling the everpresent midi and maxi dresses

Mum was 5ft 1, sis is 5.5, I’m 5.8 and a half, dad and brothers over six foot. Mum had style and instilled in us not to slouch. None of Q’s offerings would appeal to her even if they came in petite. As for me and sis, it’s a definite no.

I’m just trying to think back to what the models looked like generally on QVC when I first encountered it back in the late 1990s? I suspect, though I can’t be certain, no plus size ones at all, probably, all white and generally of average or slightly above average height for a woman? Then we had the love being huge, Sister, Go, Girl, have an even bigger plate of fries revolution and models who’d eaten all the pies were embraced as a selling plus, rather than a put off..

I can certainly see your point, I too pkease only myself these days, the tops of my arms are awful. The women in my family, gran, mother and aunties all had awful flabby tops of arms. I often think some of our bodies is in our genes.
I have a ‘collection’ of sleeveless dresses which are exclusively for my cruises. Most cruises have their fair share of American women with flabby arms. Well, I’m the English equivalent !

Between holidays these Fl dresses remain locked in the suitcase 🤣🤣🤣

The models are simply advertising, and Q wants the clothes to look at their "best" so viewers will buy them. Which is why models tend to be tall and skinny. It's good that they're using plus size models, but some of the poor curvy girls look horrific when they venture out from the wings clad in some overpriced stretchy tops and trousers that supposedly "skim the body", but make them look like overstuffed sausages.

I'm guessing that Q won't rush to hire petite models because they're either going to look like they're kids cosplaying as cowboy themed tents in Marla's wares, or little girls dressed in their mum's old nighties when modelling the everpresent midi and maxi dresses
The under 5ft 8's can look just as good in their clothes as the next person, but I totally get what you're saying about some of the ranges - Yes you do need someone with a bit more height to carry off Marla's tents and horseblankets. The curvy girl can look just as good as the next person when dressed in the correct size (not too tight) or not draped in enormous swathes of fabric (galleon in full sail). I am glad that they're embracing the idea that models don't have to be stick thin, a certain age but imo they need to embrace the idea that they don't have to be tall either.
Yes ok, we could end up with the stuffed sausage equivalent in that they'll look like kids who've raided the dressing up box but unless they try we'll never know. It seems to me that the stylists they employ are even more crap than the clothes. If they upped their game then they could use an even more diverse range of models and make the clothes look their best. It would be a hard job for sure but it needs doing!

It has been said, and I read a number of times, most of the high-end designers are gay men. They designed their clothes based on a male body and not curves, hence why the perfect model shape is tall and straight up and down thin. The shortest model of the supermodel era was Kate Moss, who is only 5'6"

Whilst I applaud QVC for using mature models sometimes they just don't suit the clothes they're trying to demonstrate I feel that, especially this morning watching the Kim and Co our from 12 till 1, the model looked to me to old for some of the styles and did nothing to promote the garments. I think the models name is Zara?
this is not a good look, no disrespect to the model the stylist have lost their way in a lot of what they do!

Did anybody watch the recent BBC programme "Chanel Unbuttoned" ? Obviously it was about Chanel, her life, her lovers and her business but during the programme they interviewed several of her ex models who are now old ladies. Even as elderly ladies most of them exuded their own style and way of dressing. I found them fascinating. Well worth watching.
Saw this,I loved Chanel’s style.Planning to get to the V&A to see the exhibition,I saw the Dior on 2019 which was fabulous.

Latest posts

Back