Pipa - psychotherapist !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

And Andrea (pronounced Hahn-dre-ah) Foulkes who used to do the Tova shows about 10 years ago and who recently popped up, modelling some tat by Dreamkeeper or Kirk's Folly, is a medium and does past life regressions. She even had her own ITV show which aired either during the afternoon or in the small hours of the morning, depending on which region it aired in.

Last edited:
Life coach ?? counsellors ???? its amazing what 'non-jobs' there are about now.

My Dad in the 2nd World War got bombed to buggery in the Russian Convoys, then came home and worked in a height of 3' at the coal face of a mine, - he just got on with LIFE, and brought us kids up the same. Our main lesson in life was, if we fell over deal with it, never blame anyone else. Makes you think doesn't it.

I get so angry when people big up their qualifications to give themselves more credibility, especially in the areas of 'psychologist' 'life coach' etc etc etc as they could end up fooling vulnerable people. I hadn't heard of some of their qualifications & when I looked into them they seemed very flaky!

(Yup, so I muct confess I didn't look thoroughly, and his qualifications suggest that Claudia Slyvester's husband had probably done some research to do with psychology but his website didn't say what)

As far as I'm concerned anyone claiming to be a life coach is just selling their freindship. And that's even more pernicious if it's someone off the telly.

It was the same in England, re getting credit/mortgage, altho' the equality act came in '76. I was flabbergasted in '87 to be asked my husbands occupation etc when I was getting a short loan for a printer (it was £450 lol!). I was a single parent at that time, but in full time work ! Own bank account for at least 20yrs etc! And fully answered my previous occupation (very good!) etc And eeh they were not for me having it....! I couldn't get a mortgage on my own (being a female) in 1980, even tho' I earned enough etc :( So feminism, altho' it was the previous generation to me who fought for it, has significantly enhanced womens rights. (I am totally against the idea of 'all men are bad')

My understanding is that life coaching is unregulated so anyone can set up business as one.

It s all a load of complete bollocks if you ask me. How can anyone possibly give you advice on your life unless they are actually living it, like you? I'm afraid life's a bitch and you just have to get on with it as best you can. Just my opinion of course.

At work we got sent on a "coaching skills" course, less said about that the better. it uses techniques that I have already been trained in and that have been around for years such as solution focussed therapy and motivational interviewing. Coaching seems to a "mashup" of a variety of stuff and there is a bit of focus on something called "powerful questions" where the coach ask things like "how would it feel if you achieved your goal?" I can't say that I am using any of the stuff we leant in my day to day work.

Yes, these non-jobs with psych or coach at the beginning of the title (no offence to psychiatrists) but in general appears to be all about peoples emotions.

I get so wild when hearing tv newscasters (who obviously all had the same teacher in interviewing techniques) ask the same old questions that even I could do the job. i.e.

"give us a sense of........"
"describe the mood........"
"how are you feeling........"

How I long for the day when someone will turn round and say "how the ****** 'ell would you feel, given the circumstances !!!!! ..... especially when its a personal loss.

I think counsellors and therapist etc. do have a place as I have recently been seeing a counsellor. I have struggled for almost 7 years with mental health difficulties owing to my "parents" not giving a **** about me. It's fine to say its all about emotions and just get on with life but some people are more well equipped than others to do that. My emotions have affected me so much that I have, 3 times, spent time in a psychiatric unit, tried multiple times to end my life and I use self harm as a coping mechanism. I am waiting to see a therapist for CBT and am hopeful it helps.

Didn't mean this to turn into an essay but just wanted to 'stick up' for counsellors and therapists :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People need people to talk to. People need people to advise them and make them reflect on their issues. Some people even need treatment. I think it's very unfair to say they need to just get on with it. I agree, a lot of these life coaches are just nothing in particular and have just done a distance course, but properly qualified therapists and counsellors undergo training in order to help people. Just because one person is able to deal with their own problems it doesn't mean everyone can.

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Jacqueline I hope you find some peace with your counsellor, my mother went to a similar parenting school! A psychotherapist I saw at Uni saved my life and got me thru my degree. But I suspect these have more formal qualifications than the self-appointed quacks!

Jude xx

So sorry to hear that Sparkles 26, and I DO know what you are going through, having worked in the mental health dept of our local hospital for a few years, and also saw my mother suffer 3 nervous breakdowns. Sadly in the 60's the cure then was to be dosed up on valium and suchlike, so she spent all her life on tablets. Admittedly its all different generations now with basically the same problems, and yes therapists and counsellors have their place, that cannot be denied.

Parents just dont realise the 'issues' they can give their children in later life.

I really hope that you are able to be at peace with yourself in the not too distant future.

(on a lighter note, has anyone else got the Free Life Coaching Course advert at the bottom of their page too ??)

Even 'our Soph' has got herself 'linkedin' !

I see that she's responsible for dealing with nervous, angry, upset QVC celebrities, guests and models?............

Hmmmmmmmmm now who would make a model angry or upset?

interesting thread, I think that therapists, counsellors and many people working in mental health do a wonderful job. I owe my much improved mental health to a wonderful CPN who stuck with me for 18 months while I was battling my most recent and most difficult bout of depression and anxiety. She was great and of course trained and supervised. The thing with life coaches is that they seem to be self employed and I wonder about the regulation and supervision. I know of one who does all their work via the phone which I think could be a bit risky in some circumstances. Good luck and hugs to all on here who have experienced mental distress.

Totally agree with everything you say s'sequin.

I hope this Forum gives some 'light relief' in the way of banter, the sounding off and helpful info, to all those on here who sadly suffer with issues whether they be mental or physical.

Latest posts

Back