Presenters' families

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Government based jobs, like the one my son has just been promoted in........yes it is.

No 1 - QVC is NOT a government organisation.

No 2 - it's still NOT illegal - it is best practice and illegality would only exist if it related to discrimination of protected characteristics.

Jobs like the Police have to advertise any vacancies internally even if they know who they want for it, they can't just pick who they want it has to be advertised.

I don't think there is any law that says jobs have to be advertised. It might be the policy in certain organisations but i don't believe that it's backed up by law. We don't even know that QVC didn't advertise this job

I wish you'd stop saying things as fact when they are clearly wrong.

You said it was illegal - it isn't. People shouldn't be left with the wrong impression.

Where my son works they wanted him for a promotion but told him they had a legal obligation to advertise it first, they did, he got the job. I do not have to justify my comments to you, even though you enjoy picking arguments with me for some reason, you done it a few weeks backs too and someone pulled you up on it, so I'll just say this, I will not be replying to any more of your comments directed at me because I'm not having myself dragged into arguments and made to look immature, so have a good evening.

It's probably an intern position(when did we start thatUS malarkey ). Before long she will be "in the city" just like our Sophie .

Anyway nowadays the job title bears very little relation to the actual job. Production assistant/tea boy?

meCharlie used to mention his son being a fan of Charlie Bears, but I guess his son has probably grown out of that by now. I've frequently heard him say how many Charlie Bears his daughter has.
Whilst frequently mentioning their daughters, Catherine and Charlie never seem to mention their sons.

So just to clarify: some employers have guidelines regarding advertising of vacancies but QVC isn't one of them, nor is the practice unilaterally prohibited by statute or case law in England & Wales.

I usually switch over/off when the presenters start talking about their home life and relatives...they would soon cut off a t-caller if they started rabbiting. I lol the other day when someone tweeted Julia and asked why she was talking like a child, she was doing a kipling show...she was not amused...LOL I felt sorry for the kipling guest, she looked embarrassed..

Fact is that she can SAY her daughter didn't get the job on nepotism, but how can anyone be sure of that? Some places are happy employing several members of the same family: donkey's years ago, it used to be common for family members to work at the same place, and if your Dad worked there you were in, unless you assaulted the boss! Obviously, as long as they don't fall foul of employment law regulations, employers can offer the job to whoever they prefer, but even where discrimination has happened, it can be the devil's own job to prove at a tribunal. I always think that if someone says a family member didn't get the job on nepotism, it automatically makes you think the opposite - she would probably have been better off saying nothing.

Catherine Huntley mentioned in her blog, that her daughter has always wanted to work for QVC and, finally, she is. She got the job on merit, it was not a case of nepotism, says mum. This may be the case but, the fact her mum is a presenter cannot have done her any harm. If she can't perform, the Q will let her go. I am a believer in making the most of opportunities in life, so would not begrudge Chrissie her good fortune.

:mysmilie_497: Yes, isn't it a pity that some people have to create an argument where none should exist? Each and every one of us is entitled to express an opinion (as long as we keep within the boundaries) and we've probably all got different employment experiences, too. Is there any need to get stroppy and bullying about it and pick someone up on every point they make? Gives a really unpleasant impression, IMO.

Where my son works they wanted him for a promotion but told him they had a legal obligation to advertise it first, they did, he got the job. I do not have to justify my comments to you, even though you enjoy picking arguments with me for some reason, you done it a few weeks backs too and someone pulled you up on it, so I'll just say this, I will not be replying to any more of your comments directed at me because I'm not having myself dragged into arguments and made to look immature, so have a good evening.

Last edited:
Wonder if the know it's against the law to offer a job without advertising it, first internally and if no one wants it or no one is suitable, it gets advertised externally, Chuntleys daughter would've obviously been given it, but they still should've followed protocol and not broke the law even though they're just going through the motions. QVC need to watch a disgruntled employee doesn't report them.

Shopperholic made a statement that was factually incorrect and left an impression that Q had acted illegally.

I pointed out that the statement was wrong - it's not the first time this poster has strongly asserted something and then backtracked by adding extra exceptions, excuses etc.

I wish you'd stop saying things as fact when they are clearly wrong.

You said it was illegal - it isn't. People shouldn't be left with the wrong impression.

I just think that posters shouldn't say something as fact when they are only guessing - particularly when accusing someone of breaking the law.

:mysmilie_497: Yes, isn't it a pity that some people have to create an argument where none should exist? Each and every one of us is entitled to express an opinion (as long as we keep within the boundaries) and we've probably all got different employment experiences, too. Is there any need to get stroppy and bullying about it and pick someone up on every point they make? Gives a really unpleasant impression, IMO.

Thanks H, I was just stating my own experience and what I've been told by really good authority, doesn't matter where some people are concerned though hey? Thought it was just me who'd noticed it but no there's been a few. Like I've said in the past though some people are quackers if they think I'm bothered by their antagonistic ways (well towards me anyway) I really couldn't give a duck. :mysmilie_17: :mysmilie_508: I really do appreciate that.

Correcting mis-information isn't bullying; it's the way I learnt stuff most of the time.

Yes whatever you say, I find to agree all the time brings any argumentative or antagonistic behaviour to a close before it starts, have a lovely afternoon.

Jobs at QVC are advertised on their own website. There are quite a few jobs advertised at the moment. If you scroll down to the bottom of the homepage you can click on careers there.

You're wrong, as it can well be. Verbal bullying is in the tone and the language, as any HR Department would be able to tell you. There is absolutely no need for gratuitous rudeness, just make your point and move on. Correcting mis-information, as you say, is how we learn and is perfectly in order - if it's done in a reasoned and not overheated way. What is there to get so hot under the collar about, after all? It's an opinion - we are all entitled to them and don't need teddy flung in the corner to teach us the "error" of our ways.

Correcting mis-information isn't bullying; it's the way I learnt stuff most of the time.

Latest posts

Back