Presenters reacting to comments made on this forum

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The accounts available by law are absolutely minimal. And there is no way of knowing what the Directors earn in dividends. VAT registration or not is a clear indicator of how much the company bills. The tax advantages of one man limited companies are going to change significantly in April 2016. The main tax breaks will be gone. Corporation tax isn't a personal tax but it is taken out of profits so has an impact on earnings and the accounting costs of a limited company are quite high.

And the upcoming changes in the hidden employment regulations could cause serious problems for people who run their own businesses but effectively work on contract to one company.

Accounting costs for these type of companies would be pretty minimal compared to turnover. If they are paying over £5k then I would be surprised. Corporation tax is a lot lower than Income Tax hence they pay themselves small salaries, then a large Dividend.

With three clicks of my iPad, I got 3 presenters Dividends and I am no computer expert !

Does anyone recall the documentary about Shopping Channels when Ideal World was fairly new and it featured QVC and (I think) Home Shopping as well. It said on that documentary that at QVC the Presenters weren't paid any commission on Sales, yet we saw Alison run through to the Studio after her show to check the Sales figures and she was all hyped up about how many Units she'd shifted in her hour. :wonder:

That never made sense to me; whilst i appreciate there may be an element of 'competition' between Presenters, there had to be more to it than that and I thought it was likely that whilst they may not be paid a percentage of their Sales, that there were other luxuries or bonuses paid.

I remember that. She had shifted about 95,000 units of whatever it was... and that was just the initial figures.

Also remember Claire Sutton walking into the building with the same demoralisation that most people do when they are about to go into 'work mode'

I haven't got the energy and can't face reading this whole thread (skimmed beginning and the middle and it had descended into a pointless argument!) but I just said on a comment in Anthony thread, Debbie (who as we all know is usually glued to her iPad!) told Anthony she would read him people's messages to him from twitter and Facebook after the show because it was much more important to focus on giving measurements and the clothes details! So someone's listening?!

Accounting costs for these type of companies would be pretty minimal compared to turnover. If they are paying over £5k then I would be surprised. Corporation tax is a lot lower than Income Tax hence they pay themselves small salaries, then a large Dividend.

With three clicks of my iPad, I got 3 presenters Dividends and I am no computer expert !

Then there you have it. You know how much those presenters earn. Add in basic salary of around £10,500 plus dividends and that's your answer.

I remember that. She had shifted about 95,000 units of whatever it was... and that was just the initial figures.

Also remember Claire Sutton walking into the building with the same demoralisation that most people do when they are about to go into 'work mode'

I remember that documentary, they sold £20,000 worth of products in the show. I will say AY is very competitive and wanted to know she had sold more in one hour than all the rest. The producer said to the people making the documentary the amount, now we are talking about 10 years ago when product much cheaper. Trying adding an extra zero at the end these days. Actually that is how I knew beauty has always been the biggest seller for QVC.

I don't think presenters come on here because for every one comment, negative or otherwise you read here, you can guarantee that a hundred people will have told them the exact same thing on Twitter.

Back to comments then.... a Kathy comment... she has just made on Morning Style ...looking at quite a close fitting skirt she said that's the style she likes to wear as although she has a big tummy she has slim hips !!

Does anyone recall the documentary about Shopping Channels when Ideal World was fairly new and it featured QVC and (I think) Home Shopping as well. It said on that documentary that at QVC the Presenters weren't paid any commission on Sales, yet we saw Alison run through to the Studio after her show to check the Sales figures and she was all hyped up about how many Units she'd shifted in her hour. :wonder:

That never made sense to me; whilst i appreciate there may be an element of 'competition' between Presenters, there had to be more to it than that and I thought it was likely that whilst they may not be paid a percentage of their Sales, that there were other luxuries or bonuses paid.

I have no insider knowledge of any sort, but I'd be very surprised if Q presenters weren't on some kind of commission if I'm honest.

I don't care one jot how much the presenters earn, but I would like them to concentrate on the items that they are presenting without deviating and interpersing the 'sale' with references to books etc. It's not relevant unless it's a book hour ... and they don't do those (yet.) I also don't like the pressure selling from some of the presenters ......... in fact, I usually switch channels and look on the website if I'm interested in the product, rather than listen to them.

I don't spend hours glued to the channel anyway (I've got better things to do with my time) but, if I do watch it, then it's dependent on who is presenting the show as to whether I stay on Channel 16 or not.

Well there`s 11 pages covering everything from whether presenters feelings are hurt to how much they earn and whether they pay tax or not.
In a nutshell I doubt any of the presenters would spend 11 seconds let alone 11 pages worrying about whether their pressure sales encourage Mrs B to get into debt or spend this week`s rent money on a YK frock or whether Ms C really needs 11 Elemis tsv`s nor do they care one jot whether someone on their many facebook groups, blogs, twitter or texts is having a hard time, lost their cat, is poorly or upset about something.
They`re sales people and much like those who knock on your door or ring you , who are well used to people hanging up or closing the door in their face or in QVC presenters cases, not liking their hair/clothes/faces/attitudes/arrogance/sales techniques/self promotions etc etc etc and frankly they and not us are laughing all the way to the bank whilst many of their customers are crying over their credit card statements.
So it`s 11 pages wasted really ...

I remember that documentary, they sold £20,000 worth of products in the show. I will say AY is very competitive and wanted to know she had sold more in one hour than all the rest. The producer said to the people making the documentary the amount, now we are talking about 10 years ago when product much cheaper. Trying adding an extra zero at the end these days. Actually that is how I knew beauty has always been the biggest seller for QVC.

Yeah I am almost certain I have my figures wrong, but I remember it being a high amount even for the year 2000 comparatively.

Well there`s 11 pages covering everything from whether presenters feelings are hurt to how much they earn and whether they pay tax or not.
In a nutshell I doubt any of the presenters would spend 11 seconds let alone 11 pages worrying about whether their pressure sales encourage Mrs B to get into debt or spend this week`s rent money on a YK frock or whether Ms C really needs 11 Elemis tsv`s nor do they care one jot whether someone on their many facebook groups, blogs, twitter or texts is having a hard time, lost their cat, is poorly or upset about something.
They`re sales people and much like those who knock on your door or ring you , who are well used to people hanging up or closing the door in their face or in QVC presenters cases, not liking their hair/clothes/faces/attitudes/arrogance/sales techniques/self promotions etc etc etc and frankly they and not us are laughing all the way to the bank whilst many of their customers are crying over their credit card statements.
So it`s 11 pages wasted really ...

Might as well shut down this site then !!

Might as well shut down this site then !!

The point I was making was referring to the title of the thread ie do presenters read what is said here, my post was implying a big resounding no they don`t and frankly they wouldn`t care a toss if they did.

I agree they don't give a toss really - they're there to sell, whatever else happens, and their focus is on making money because they are sales people, end of. We obviously can't prove they either do or they don't read this forum but it's fun to speculate and since this site is about sharing opinions as well as information, just because someone happens to disagree with the premise isn't reason enough to say it's been a waste of time for those who have enjoyed contributing to it.

Pick-a-Lily, no, I don't think it's OK for them, too. If you are in front of the public in any job you are expected to look neat and tidy, not as though you've slept the night on a park bench. You accept that as a 'given' when you take the job on, especially on the Box. And if you are 'preaching to the masses' in an authoritarian way about what equates to looking good (as the presenters do), then you should at least be able to come on screen not looking as though you've got dressed in the dark in clothes from a jumble sale and with straggly and unwashed hair. Personal likes and dislikes about their clothing will always be subjective, that's obvious, but the fact is that many presenters do look untidy and unkempt on occasions - and if these are people setting themselves up as shopping TV "style gurus", they should be prepared to take the flack when they look scruffy! Fact! By the same token, if you are advertising hair colourant, and your pitch is telling everyone how easy it is to use, but your own hair's blonde with black tramline roots showing 2 inches deep, you are just asking for people to take the mick. In many office jobs dealing with the public (such as the particular branch of the Civil Service where I worked) they would be told in no uncertain terms about looking presentable and maintaining standards. If a presenter wants respect, they've got to earn it, IMO. And I don't respect anyone of the "do as I say, not as I do" variety.

I'd say approximately as nice as the nasty people on this forum who think it's ok to repeatedly make rude and personal remarks about the presenters, their weight, clothing, hairstyle etc.etc.etc. if it's ok for 'us' to be childish & vindictive, then it's ok for them too, no?

Last edited:
I agree they don't give a toss really - they're there to sell, whatever else happens, and their focus is on making money because they are sales people, end of. We obviously can't prove they either do or they don't read this forum but it's fun to speculate and since this site is about sharing opinions as well as information, just because someone happens to disagree with the premise isn't reason enough to say it's been a waste of time for those who have enjoyed contributing to it.

lol Sighhhhhhhhhh I think I`ll rewrite the post. I meant it`s 11 pages wasted cos NO QVC PRESENTER WILL PROBABLY HAVE READ THEM..... once again referring to the thread title :headbang:. Quote " It`s 11 pages wasted really " or am I talking about a different thread ???

I work in sales. The amount of targets we have to meet would astound those unaware of working in such an environment. The rewards are,however, immense. I actually sell; QVC presenters do exactly that : present. We are trained in the appliances/technology we sell. We don't have guests to provide the customer with necessary information; it is all down to us. I don't think they are on commission but will be, if they don't garner the sales, took to task. So why the hard sell, you may ask? Pride, satisfaction, a personal goal, comptitiveness, to do the best they possibly can. If it keeps the powers that be off their backs, life is good.

Miss Flint, sorry I mean Ellie! probably knew she was close to being rumbled.

Of course the Presenters will check this forum out! Most of it is constructive criticism of course, LOL!!!? Do you really think that Miss Ellie was Debbie F? :mysmilie_12:

I haven't got the energy and can't face reading this whole thread (skimmed beginning and the middle and it had descended into a pointless argument!) but I just said on a comment in Anthony thread, Debbie (who as we all know is usually glued to her iPad!) told Anthony she would read him people's messages to him from twitter and Facebook after the show because it was much more important to focus on giving measurements and the clothes details! So someone's listening?!

About time, nothing wrong with the odd Social Media message from a satisfied customer but the other night was awful!! One Presenter read out silly messages from more or less the same people - just found it rather boring and not relevant to the product really??
These irrelevant messages will NEVER make me buy a product - let's just concentrate on the Product please!!! :mysmilie_48:

Of course the Presenters will check this forum out! Most of it is constructive criticism of course, LOL!!!? Do you really think that Miss Ellie was Debbie F? :mysmilie_12:

I think the question more relevant is do I actually care?..............the answer will be a resounding "no"

Latest posts

Back