Presenters reacting to comments made on this forum

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't think it's any of our business what they earn - that's a private matter between employer / employee or company and contractor.

Once again this discussion has degenerated into an in-house spat and the presenters :)wave:) will be well amused. Why on earth can't we discuss in a sensible, non-accusatory manner what the thread is all about, which is examples of presenters who demonstrate that they've been reading what's said here? Step down from your high horses and take a deep breath.

Once again this discussion has degenerated into an in-house spat and the presenters :)wave:) will be well amused. Why on earth can't we discuss in a sensible, non-accusatory manner what the thread is all about, which is examples of presenters who demonstrate that they've been reading what's said here? Step down from your high horses and take a deep breath.

I assume you mean everyone, whatever their viewpoint... should get off their high horses?

I don't think it's any of our business what they earn - that's a private matter between employer / employee or company and contractor.

Have to say I do agree Tiddly but part of me would still quite like to know. That would be the nosey old bat part of me.

I remember reading something years ago about Alison Young's husband who wasn't earning much at the time and he said it didn't matter as his wife was a qvc presenter earning £150k a year.

As it's us who are paying their wages then I wouldn't mind to know how much we are contributing towards it.

I assume you mean everyone, whatever their viewpoint... should get off their high horses?
Did I say otherwise?

The topic is how presenters demonstrate, in whatever way, that they read this forum. Please get back to it.

I will be most pleased to hear of the presenters reacting to comments about:

not giving sizes/measurements on products before they've gone limited stock
spending far too much time talking about personal projects (eg: books) and personal life
not giving suitability information clearly and consistently (vegetarian/diabetic etc)

As it's us who are paying their wages then I wouldn't mind to know how much we are contributing towards it.

No... the company pays the presenters - it's part of their operating costs.

If we applied your train of thought, we would have the 'right' to know the salaries of employees from restaurants, airlines, garages, charities, all public services etc etc.

I bet the presenters want to know what each other are paid just as much as we do , Lets face it Julia isnt going to be on the same salary as the likes of Marv.

Most of the presenters will operate through their own Ltd companies and as such their accounts are by law available for all to see. All part of the payoff that they can pay less tax than than someone earning the equivalent on PAYE.

Why shouldn't QVC customers know what they earn? If you know what Tom Cruise makes per movie, I'm pretty sure QVC presenters are about Z minus. I personally couldn't give a toss what they earn, but let's be honest the presenters don't keep anything else private though do they, the times I've channel hopped I've heard them talk about their parents, their holidays, their husbands, their kids, their diets, their weddings, moving home etc, so it's selective privacy then, they only want you to know about them if it benefits them financially.............so they're not exactly a private bunch over there on QVC.

I would tend to agree with this. A lot of the tv newsreaders do this, i.e. Naga Munchetti Ltd . Sadly those of us not privileged to work on the tele in whatever capacity (which means most of Gt Britain) cannot command the salaries that would benefit from us all being a Limited Company !

Most of the presenters will operate through their own Ltd companies and as such their accounts are by law available for all to see. All part of the payoff that they can pay less tax than than someone earning the equivalent on PAYE.

The accounts available by law are absolutely minimal. And there is no way of knowing what the Directors earn in dividends. VAT registration or not is a clear indicator of how much the company bills. The tax advantages of one man limited companies are going to change significantly in April 2016. The main tax breaks will be gone. Corporation tax isn't a personal tax but it is taken out of profits so has an impact on earnings and the accounting costs of a limited company are quite high.

And the upcoming changes in the hidden employment regulations could cause serious problems for people who run their own businesses but effectively work on contract to one company.

I will be most pleased to hear of the presenters reacting to comments about:

not giving sizes/measurements on products before they've gone limited stock
spending far too much time talking about personal projects (eg: books) and personal life
not giving suitability information clearly and consistently (vegetarian/diabetic etc)

We'd all like it, but that is not going to happen until there's better monitoring and training and QVC pulls the plug on self-advertising.

Agree - and at least half the time I think the snippets of "personal" information they give us - some might say "feed us" - are a load of old cobblers, and just didn't happen; it's all about getting sales, (selling your own granny?). One big sales tactic, just part of the presenter training - feeding the viewers little bits of detail about their life, to try to get you to relate to them on a personal level, feel 'chummy' with them, and think "oh, that's just like me". Nothing genuine about it, in the main. These people are first and foremost salespeople, and my view is that a large proportion of what they say about their private life is "embroidered" with that aim in view, not genuine 'insider' information in any way. And when they've got a personal promotion on (such as "my new book is due out"....) then the chummy act goes up about 5 gears from the usual "personal" spiel:mysmilie_10:. Like you, I personally couldn't give the proverbial anyway about their home life, Auntie Nellie who's got 5 of this product and couldn't live without it, the daughter who is a medical student, etc. etc. I just want to know the facts about a product.

Why shouldn't QVC customers know what they earn? If you know what Tom Cruise makes per movie, I'm pretty sure QVC presenters are about Z minus. I personally couldn't give a toss what they earn, but let's be honest the presenters don't keep anything else private though do they, the times I've channel hopped I've heard them talk about their parents, their holidays, their husbands, their kids, their diets, their weddings, moving home etc, so it's selective privacy then, they only want you to know about them if it benefits them financially.............so they're not exactly a private bunch over there on QVC.

Last edited:
Does anyone recall the documentary about Shopping Channels when Ideal World was fairly new and it featured QVC and (I think) Home Shopping as well. It said on that documentary that at QVC the Presenters weren't paid any commission on Sales, yet we saw Alison run through to the Studio after her show to check the Sales figures and she was all hyped up about how many Units she'd shifted in her hour. :wonder:

That never made sense to me; whilst i appreciate there may be an element of 'competition' between Presenters, there had to be more to it than that and I thought it was likely that whilst they may not be paid a percentage of their Sales, that there were other luxuries or bonuses paid.

Latest posts

Back