Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

For the avoidance of doubt, Steven Brown does those often-surreal pictures of animals usually with bright colours as if there had been an explosion in a dye factory. Not my sort of thing personally but at least he has a sense of humour and you can now find his art on shortbread tins and the like so he's doing well for himself. Stephen Gayford does 'realistic' paintings of (usually) animals in the snow and if that's your sort of thing then you can have something cold on your wall; the selling point being that Gayford always traveled to the countries in question to try to capture the realism even though technically speaking as an artist you can now do the same from the comfort of your own home.

For the avoidance of doubt, Steven Brown does those often-surreal pictures of animals usually with bright colours as if there had been an explosion in a dye factory. Not my sort of thing personally but at least he has a sense of humour and you can now find his art on shortbread tins and the like so he's doing well for himself. Stephen Gayford does 'realistic' paintings of (usually) animals in the snow and if that's your sort of thing then you can have something cold on your wall; the selling point being that Gayford always traveled to the countries in question to try to capture the realism even though technically speaking as an artist you can now do the same from the comfort of your own home.

I have a Steven Brown! I actually quite like it even though it isn't really my thing

TJC hasn't made any direct references about Ideal (that I have seen) bar a few mentions that the phone number is free to call on this channel which seems fair game

They have however got one "new" type of ad that looks like it has just been transported from Peterborough (happy music summer event) never
seen that type before on the channel. Obviously trying to entice a few Ideal regulars

This should be a good opportunity for TJC and Gems (to a degree) to grab at least some of the regulars

The few remaining shopping TV channels must know by now not to repeat the same mistake that Ideal World made in taking on nearly all of the Bid/Price-drop TV presenters. People were watching Bid and Price-drop not because of the excellence of the presenters but because they were absolute car crashes to watch (especially Price-drop) towards the end of their existences, and although there's a logic to attracting familiar faces hence more/different viewers to your shopping TV channel, Ideal World effectively took on Bid TV's dodgy reputation in the process (and with less 'entertainment value') which in the longer term sank it.

In retrospect Ideal World might even have been still profitable today if it had only taken on three or four of the best Bid/Price-drop presenters instead of importing nearly all of their collective incompetence, though of course the rot extended to management as well as the on-screen 'talent'.

I've said before that I thought Andy Hodgson was one of the worst Bid hosts (I really, really disliked him) but he's turned out to be one of the best they've got on TJC so who knows what will happen.

There has been some dreadful presenters on Bid/IW - The ones I really couldn't stand were Frumpy old Caroline Lyndsay who'd use her disabled brother as a selling tool. I'll still never forget her trying to convince people that a massive sofa throw would be the ideal thing to throw over a disabled person in a wheelchair to keep them warm, totally missing the point that it would get all tangled up in the wheels, and the fact that it's just ****** insulting! Nicola "Yer now" George, Mike Barra boi mason who not only knew good sound but would have us believe that if we didn't invest in a "poundshop" rear view mirror for our car that we'd end up killing a kid! Peter Simon, just the worst ,and another called Andrea, who just got on my nerves as every single sentence she uttered began with the words "As a busy mum". Most of them at some point had bought a newspaper and a bottle of water which cost more than the item they were selling!

I've said before that I thought Andy Hodgson was one of the worst Bid hosts (I really, really disliked him) but he's turned out to be one of the best they've got on TJC so who knows what will happen.

Bingo

Bid Tv was a LONG time ago (scary) and I firmly believe presenters can act differently in a different environment just like any salesperson

Even the difference in most of the presenters from when good old Colin was in charge at TJC to now is chalk and cheese in some cases

Having said all that the harsh reality is Ideal World in the last 2 years didn't sell enough products despite especially in the last 6 months having often a better price than direct competition, some of that falls on the presenters

The ones who have been at Ideal since time began would struggle I think but I could be wrong

TJC has Carmel, Andy Hodgson, Marina, Chris St Valery, Peter Sherlock, and Caroline who all worked for decent or longer periods at Bid

The few remaining shopping TV channels must know by now not to repeat the same mistake that Ideal World made in taking on nearly all of the Bid/Price-drop TV presenters. People were watching Bid and Price-drop not because of the excellence of the presenters but because they were absolute car crashes to watch (especially Price-drop) towards the end of their existences, and although there's a logic to attracting familiar faces hence more/different viewers to your shopping TV channel, Ideal World effectively took on Bid TV's dodgy reputation in the process (and with less 'entertainment value') which in the longer term sank it.

In retrospect Ideal World might even have been still profitable today if it had only taken on three or four of the best Bid/Price-drop presenters instead of importing nearly all of their collective incompetence, though of course the rot extended to management as well as the on-screen 'talent'.
you are right about the presenters (offered zero credibility) , the products were pretty average too (cheap end brands) and patchy customer service, a lot of website reviews talk about receiving damaged goods or never receiving the goods - happened to me once with weedkiller and they were OK (nothing more, just a refund despite waiting weeks - no offer to send another out special delivery etc) and who needs that sort of hassle when Amazon and John Lewis etc are so good on customer service. John Lewis even give you a whats app chat for problems and for example when my air pads broke came and picked them up. Do I buy a lawnmower from IW for £120 or get it next day no dramas from Amazon for £130. Their customer service / postage was a big part of the downfall. Once the Air Fryer cash cow dried up, Its no surprise it folded, everything about them was amateurish.

I truly believe the lowest price is not the top motivator for any shopping tv customer

Nearly every product QVC sells or any shopping channel you can find cheaper online if you have a little bit of tech-savvy about you

Take that a step forward and the vast majority of products on Amazon are drop shipped from the Far East again if you are not in a rush and willing to take a small risk something may go wrong even as an individual you can buy the same products direct from the Chinese apps/websites now for 10-20% of the Amazon retail price

It is hard to see the landscape now but not that long in the future somebody will come along who undercuts Amazon and makes that link to the Far East cheaper for the consumer and they will become the giant but like shopping tv the mid-age/older demographic now will take a long time to switch away

QVC is in a completely different league based on a small sample I known numerous people who watch or at least buy from QVC very regularly but have never watched a minute of any other shopping channel nor would they

Wasnt Charlie Hopkins a Bid Guest years ago. He presents on create and craft, has done for years

Yep, infamously fell through ladder clip :)

There are some quite unlikely success stories from the Bid crew, particularly the female assistants the biggest must be Jules Breach who is going to be the lead presenter for TNT Sports next season, Sophie K (can't remember the full surname) has had a very good career on radio and a few more

Going into that setting must have been pretty daunting but they must have learnt a lot

Mason finds work on QVC….

RIGHT! Michael is MY NAME..And I’m going to show you the true meaning of QUALITY - ME…VALUE - MY WAGES…& TO YOU..MY FANS & MY PUBLIC..CONVENIENCE… NOW..THERE’s A JOKE THERE, MICHAEL..There certainly is, Mike.. A quiet and friendly word of advice to all you old gits on QVC…WAKE UP AND SMELL THE SHOPPING NAPALM, LADLES & JELLY SPOONS, QVC will never be the same again…..How many we got left, Darling? Down to single figures, ain‘t we? Oh…2500…I tell them that?? Seriously? Nah…I‘ll tell ‘em about me Goddess instead…

Latest posts

Back