Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The same old act… Says you’ll definitely buy if we drop below £600…£500…£400…£100… A total lack of respect for the intellect of their buyers… Is it a deliberate ploy that you can hear the gallery talkback in his ear? Or a cock-up…Simon gag.. Oh Gawd..the very, very, very old somebody has made a massive mistake and priced something too low routine. I’ve heard it all in 25 years of watching this stuff.. Very little appears genuine…

The same old act… Says you’ll definitely buy if we drop below £600…£500…£400…£100… A total lack of respect for the intellect of their buyers… Is it a deliberate ploy that you can hear the gallery talkback in his ear? Or a cock-up…Simon gag.. Oh Gawd..the very old somebody has made a massive mistake and priced something too low. I’ve heard it all in 25 years of watching this stuff.. Very little appears genuine…
I thought that was talkback

Oh there’s a shock… there’s the rattan dash cam again, and again and again and again..Don’t worry..I’ll pick mine up in War on Want…A little Christmas present for somebody, says Mike. Spot on, Geez. A very little one..

Great reply, many thanks @RobLocke for taking the time and for your comments and the info. Much appreciated.
My pleasure. Any time. Apologies for the slight delay in replying—it's been a busy few days!
The SAG strike concerns over AI, and CGI/virtual actors, potentially signing away a human actor's visual rights in perpetuity for just 1 day's work/pay, or no re-use repeat fees, is even more concerning and thorny than the Writer's strike.
Quite so, which is why the SAG strike may be trickier to resolve. AI is undeniably a useful tool, but actors need to be informed, have control over how their likeness is used, and be fairly compensated when it is.
(I asked ChatGPT to write a screenplay on a theme of plot points I gave it in a paragraph and it wrote me a full 15-page screenplay script, with stage/film camera directions and added creative points and speech that I never gave it and created a piece I could have sent to Producers for offers!!!)
Yep, and that’s what's possible now. Imagine where the technology will be in a few years! There’s also the bigger question of intellectual property being used to train AI in the first place. I predict that there will be standoffs with numerous content sources. The BBC has already blocked ChatGPT from accessing its content. Others will follow suit. Copyright law is going to get even more complex—if AI uses an artist’s work to learn, and then generates images ‘inspired by’ that work, especially for commercial use, who owns the copyright and who gets paid? It’s a massive can of worms that’s only just been opened.
I think the SAG and Writers' strikes issues will be a defining moment, critical point we will look back on as one of the first legal and real life issues on the future path we let AI take in real life scenarios involving humans, beyond self-driving cars and automation/robotic safety & legal implications.
This is the reason why the writers dug in so deeply, and why the actors continue to do so. It’s a paradigm shift in our industry. If we don’t get protections in place now, the future will be bleak for a lot of people. From an entertainment perspective, ultimately the consumer loses—even basic CGI has taken over film and TV. Instead of being used as a tool to support and enhance a story, often it IS the story. Film, particularly, has suffered (I believe). Flashy CGI set pieces are being used to lazily replace quality narrative. As you say, it truly is a defining moment.
Back on topic: for instance one can envisage a time when the on-screen TV talent, shopping/TV presenter is an AI virtual presenter...
Virtual presenters are already being used in certain cases. I can see that's going to increase over time, but, I’d guess, mainly for factual delivery. Until AI has a personality, there’s a measure of protection. If/when GAI is attained, we’re done for!
Well, if IW do call, their W.London studios will be easier than Peterborough for you! Did you stay over when doing IW up there or travel daily? Just curious.
I used to stay in a hotel when I was in Peterborough. The expenses came out of my pocket, so I stayed wherever was cheapest. It’s was fine during the pandemic, when I could get a room for £25/day, but once things started going back to ‘normal’ it became prohibitively expensive. During lockdown, when the hotels closed for everyone except key workers, Ideal put ‘Bunkabins’ in the car park (see picture below). I literally lived in a box for several months, with nowhere else to go when I wasn't on air. It was torturous! Talk about serving your time. :LOL:

Locke Box.jpg

Did you ever work/meet with fellow actor Peter Vollebregt on IW?
Absolutely! He's a wonderful guy and we worked together often.
That led to me searching for some of his TV appearances too. I was pleasantly surprised, seeing him as a priest in TV series River City, he was surprisingly good! 😊
Peter is a talented actor. He was incredibly helpful when I was in Peterborough and had to record auditions. He filmed and read with me for several projects, including the role I landed in Sky’s COBRA.

That Bunkabin looks grim
I can't even begin to tell you how grim it truly was. Single bed with a budget mattress, a bit of counter and storage space, and a miniature-scale bathroom. The whole thing was about the size of a single-imnate prison cell (not speaking from experience), and the decor wasn't much better. Spent 18 hours-a-day in that thing. It's a wonder I didn't go a bit strange. Well, any more than normal. :ROFLMAO:

I can't even begin to tell you how grim it truly was. Single bed with a budget mattress, a bit of counter and storage space, and a miniature-scale bathroom. The whole thing was about the size of a single-imnate prison cell (not speaking from experience), and the decor wasn't much better. Spent 18 hours-a-day in that thing. It's a wonder I didn't go a bit strange. Well, any more than normal. :ROFLMAO:
Normally they’re used for builders working on site, so perhaps for a few days or at most a week.
It must’ve been grim. Funny though, sometimes it helps people bond when you’re all together in situations like that.

Latest posts

Back