Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

For all the watch collectors, just seen a type of watch I've never seen before. The "hands" are free-moving magnetic balls - - -

View attachment 26760

There are some videos and other models on this link

Yeah, but would you pay Eclat's price £134 (reduced from £200)

q2.JPG

or Ali's price £33.43 with a spare strap?

q3.JPG

My pleasure. Any time. Apologies for the slight delay in replying—it's been a busy few days!

Quite so, which is why the SAG strike may be trickier to resolve. AI is undeniably a useful tool, but actors need to be informed, have control over how their likeness is used, and be fairly compensated when it is.

Yep, and that’s what's possible now. Imagine where the technology will be in a few years! There’s also the bigger question of intellectual property being used to train AI in the first place. I predict that there will be standoffs with numerous content sources. The BBC has already blocked ChatGPT from accessing its content. Others will follow suit. Copyright law is going to get even more complex—if AI uses an artist’s work to learn, and then generates images ‘inspired by’ that work, especially for commercial use, who owns the copyright and who gets paid? It’s a massive can of worms that’s only just been opened.

This is the reason why the writers dug in so deeply, and why the actors continue to do so. It’s a paradigm shift in our industry. If we don’t get protections in place now, the future will be bleak for a lot of people. From an entertainment perspective, ultimately the consumer loses—even basic CGI has taken over film and TV. Instead of being used as a tool to support and enhance a story, often it IS the story. Film, particularly, has suffered (I believe). Flashy CGI set pieces are being used to lazily replace quality narrative. As you say, it truly is a defining moment.

Virtual presenters are already being used in certain cases. I can see that's going to increase over time, but, I’d guess, mainly for factual delivery. Until AI has a personality, there’s a measure of protection. If/when GAI is attained, we’re done for!

I used to stay in a hotel when I was in Peterborough. The expenses came out of my pocket, so I stayed wherever was cheapest. It’s was fine during the pandemic, when I could get a room for £25/day, but once things started going back to ‘normal’ it became prohibitively expensive. During lockdown, when the hotels closed for everyone except key workers, Ideal put ‘Bunkabins’ in the car park (see picture below). I literally lived in a box for several months, with nowhere else to go when I wasn't on air. It was torturous! Talk about serving your time. :LOL:

View attachment 26758

Absolutely! He's a wonderful guy and we worked together often.

Peter is a talented actor. He was incredibly helpful when I was in Peterborough and had to record auditions. He filmed and read with me for several projects, including the role I landed in Sky’s COBRA.
No probs. Thanks for all that @RobLocke.

As mentioned to @GrantB, weren't living expenses while working away from usual place of work (?) reclaimable as tax expenses? Or is there something in IR35 regs or because presenters/actors as contractors are always on assignment so can't claim?

Funny that the creative arts/industries are amongst those sectors encountering AI issues 'first'. You'd think it would be the hard sciences, like IT, production/ manufacturing and the like. But I suppose intelligence is in the humans (we hope) and that is what is being copied or potentially infringed. When AI patents its own unique invention that will be another nail in the coffin.

Well I've now had the chance to view your showreels from your website. Good stuff! Pretty versatile, from Russian mobsters/politicians to uptight English 'maître d's', American everymen and English journos !

- do you actually know Russian?!

- is the Russian/East European act from any connection, or just easy/natural/worked at it for you?

- what got you cast as Russian gangsters; your build?

Well I may go off and watch some of the full US programmes if I can find them online. I used to watch Scorpion a bit. A bit of US comedy (their comedy is definitely different isn't it) would also be good. Cheers.

My pleasure. Any time. Apologies for the slight delay in replying—it's been a busy few days!

Quite so, which is why the SAG strike may be trickier to resolve. AI is undeniably a useful tool, but actors need to be informed, have control over how their likeness is used, and be fairly compensated when it is.

Yep, and that’s what's possible now. Imagine where the technology will be in a few years! There’s also the bigger question of intellectual property being used to train AI in the first place. I predict that there will be standoffs with numerous content sources. The BBC has already blocked ChatGPT from accessing its content. Others will follow suit. Copyright law is going to get even more complex—if AI uses an artist’s work to learn, and then generates images ‘inspired by’ that work, especially for commercial use, who owns the copyright and who gets paid? It’s a massive can of worms that’s only just been opened.

This is the reason why the writers dug in so deeply, and why the actors continue to do so. It’s a paradigm shift in our industry. If we don’t get protections in place now, the future will be bleak for a lot of people. From an entertainment perspective, ultimately the consumer loses—even basic CGI has taken over film and TV. Instead of being used as a tool to support and enhance a story, often it IS the story. Film, particularly, has suffered (I believe). Flashy CGI set pieces are being used to lazily replace quality narrative. As you say, it truly is a defining moment.

Virtual presenters are already being used in certain cases. I can see that's going to increase over time, but, I’d guess, mainly for factual delivery. Until AI has a personality, there’s a measure of protection. If/when GAI is attained, we’re done for!

I used to stay in a hotel when I was in Peterborough. The expenses came out of my pocket, so I stayed wherever was cheapest. It’s was fine during the pandemic, when I could get a room for £25/day, but once things started going back to ‘normal’ it became prohibitively expensive. During lockdown, when the hotels closed for everyone except key workers, Ideal put ‘Bunkabins’ in the car park (see picture below). I literally lived in a box for several months, with nowhere else to go when I wasn't on air. It was torturous! Talk about serving your time. :LOL:

View attachment 26758

Absolutely! He's a wonderful guy and we worked together often.

Peter is a talented actor. He was incredibly helpful when I was in Peterborough and had to record auditions. He filmed and read with me for several projects, including the role I landed in Sky’s COBRA.
P.S. @RobLocke forgot to say:

And your claim to fame, as far as I'm concerned: you're the Internet Explorer 8 privacy browsing guy!!! 😲😊😜😁

Many a joke/comedy sketch was performed at the time about the IE8 guy hiding his dodgy browser history from the wife! 😲

Ahhh, memories.

His first words were those who can't stand me, get over yourselves!
So reckon he's been lurking on this forum for ages, or the wife reporting back, when there was a hiatus after IW shutdown.

Hi Mike! 😊 👍

For the record, I am mainly a fan of his and PaulB's. More factual than most and less manic.

Although since his return recently I've noticed his slightly odd misogynist old-fashioned comments on 'women' or blunt 80s references. Just seems a bit stuck on the old clichés. Get with the programme Mike, you're not stupid.

P.S. @RobLocke forgot to say:

And your claim to fame, as far as I'm concerned: you're the Internet Explorer 8 privacy browsing guy!!! 😲😊😜😁

Many a joke/comedy sketch was performed at the time about the IE8 guy hiding his dodgy browser history from the wife! 😲

Ahhh, memories.

OMG — so he is! Hah! I hadn't thought about that clip for a long, long time but yeah, now you've said it, I don't even need to re-watch it to know it's Rob! Amazing!

No probs. Thanks for all that @RobLocke.

As mentioned to @GrantB, weren't living expenses while working away from usual place of work (?) reclaimable as tax expenses? Or is there something in IR35 regs or because presenters/actors as contractors are always on assignment so can't claim?

Funny that the creative arts/industries are amongst those sectors encountering AI issues 'first'. You'd think it would be the hard sciences, like IT, production/ manufacturing and the like. But I suppose intelligence is in the humans (we hope) and that is what is being copied or potentially infringed. When AI patents its own unique invention that will be another nail in the coffin.

Well I've now had the chance to view your showreels from your website. Good stuff! Pretty versatile, from Russian mobsters/politicians to uptight English 'maître d's', American everymen and English journos !

- do you actually know Russian?!

- is the Russian/East European act from any connection, or just easy/natural/worked at it for you?

- what got you cast as Russian gangsters; your build?

Well I may go off and watch some of the full US programmes if I can find them online. I used to watch Scorpion a bit. A bit of US comedy (their comedy is definitely different isn't it) would also be good. Cheers.
I’m sure he’ll answer directly, in his very eloquent way. But I recall from his QVC days that he mentioned living out there for a period of time, and speaking the language fluently - unless I imagined it all? His Russian accent is extremely credible to my ears and is leagues above well-meaning attempts by people like June Whitifield (RIP) on the ’Did You Make it Yourself’ Birds Eye ads of decades ago.

More generally - I think we are incredibly fortunate to have people like Rob and Grant taking time and trouble to both join and contribute so fully to our forum. Equally, I think the place is made relatively entertaining on our collective part to perhaps assist in enticing them to do so. Their interesting contributions add a new depth to the industry compared to ours from the outside looking in, and are not taken for granted.

So reckon he's been lurking on this forum for ages, or the wife reporting back, when there was a hiatus after IW shutdown.

Hi Mike! 😊 👍

For the record, I am mainly a fan of his and PaulB's. More factual than most and less manic.

Although since his return recently I've noticed his slightly odd misogynist old-fashioned comments on 'women' or blunt 80s references. Just seems a bit stuck on the old clichés. Get with the programme Mike, you're not stupid.
I think he is well aware of what is being said on this forum, as are many others in the industry. I was a member when it first started back in the early 2000s, and then had about 15 years away from it. I do remember from the earlier days of it that there was some particular issue with him being very unhappy about what was said about his style of selling, as I recall. It is quite a few years ago now, but my memory was that he made it quite clear (or somebody on his behalf) that the comments needed to be removed for potential legal reasons. That’s my recall of it anyway. Now I think these days in general, he gets a fair press from most of us. If he and others, who present have got a sense of humour, I think some of them, including him, may find it quite funny. That said, for those who don’t have a sense of humour, they probably would have a very different opinion.

I think he is well aware of what is being said on this forum, as are many others in the industry. I was a member when it first started back in the early 2000s, and then had about 15 years away from it. I do remember from the earlier days of it that there was some particular issue with him being very unhappy about what was said about his style of selling, as I recall. It is quite a few years ago now, but my memory was that he made it quite clear (or somebody on his behalf) that the comments needed to be removed for potential legal reasons. That’s my recall of it anyway. Now I think these days in general, he gets a fair press from most of us. If he and others, who present have got a sense of humour, I think some of them, including him, may find it quite funny. That said, for those who don’t have a sense of humour, they probably would have a very different opinion.
I wasn't on this forum that far back and don't know what the comments were. 'Potential legal reasons' is interesting - were the comments libellous or were people saying they didn't like him and thought his sales tactics were dubious (which I'm sure they could justify). Sounds to me like he was shutting down criticism.

A few years back there was somebody on here who was his greatest fan. We thought it was Mikey boi himself or "The Goddess". They wouldn't say who they were but it was implied they were connected to him in some way. Every comment on here was criticised angrily but no-one stopped. If I were a presenter on selly telly I wouldn't read a forum like this.

I don’t want to repeat what was said or may have been said. It wasn’t by me, I might add. Even if I did, I’m not sure I could remember the exact context of it. But back in those days, on here, and on the Net in general, it was reflective of the so-called ‘free speech’ people felt being ’anonymous’ entitled them to employ. Hence, the line was crossed on a regular basis, all over the Internet. Regardless, in that particular example, it obviously sufficiently upset him and/or those viewing on his behalf. I can’t remember the outcome or whether the comments concerned were taken down. Perhaps somebody else posting from that era could assist with their memory of it.

I think in general terms away from any particular individuals, you can say a presenter is misleading buyers potentially over a particular sales issue that they and others regularly employ, and then give your detailed factual views on why you think that. On the other hand, if you say definitively that a presenter and their colleagues are all crooks, then they and others might want to call you to Court to prove what you say, and if you cannot, pay for damaging their reputation.

I mentioned her a few posts back, but not by name. Personally I cannot stand her as a presenter and never could. One of these hosts whose favourite voice is their own. I think I could actually watch Jacks with more enjoyment than endure her delivery. Switched off as soon as I saw her.

I mentioned her a few posts back, but not by name. Personally I cannot stand her as a presenter and never could. One of these hosts whose favourite voice is their own. I think I could actually watch Jacks with more enjoyment than endure her delivery. Switched off as soon as I saw her.
Walking sticks again! With Sally and Natalia. Natalia looks a bit silly modelling them, with her off the shoulder top and leather skirt. To complete the look she keeps flicking her hair, and don't get me started on the pout.

Walking sticks again! With Sally and Natalia. Natalia looks a bit silly modelling them, with her off the shoulder top and leather skirt. To complete the look she keeps flicking her hair, and don't get me started on the pout.
Caption competition:
Screenshot_2023-10-11-11-10-22-496.jpg

1st prize: smart easy up cane
2nd prize: two of them and a hair brush.

Observations:
- both women are wearing no rings on their fingers at all. Coincidence or for what reason?

- have IW reverted to "watch shop smile" tagline? As they can't find any big brands? (See TV screen wallpaper)

- is any of this beauty, Infra-red, sonic massage, EMS electrical massage stimulation orsomething, for real, or convoluted 'snake oil'? The foot massager, TENS pads, infra-red. All seems quackery to me.

- the pout was apparently from the device 'pushing collagen down from the jaw/cheekbones to the mouth area'. Really. Or collagen/fillers injections?

Don't usually watch morning TV or IW, nor beauty products, as not aimed at me, but this was spectacularly awful.

Last edited:
- have IW reverted to "watch shop smile" tagline? As they can't find any big brands? (See TV screen wallpaper)
They've added a smiley face to the 'o' in 'shop' in the newer TV ad inserts.

So 'watch shop smile' returns.

Which is awful as I read it as a watch shop, selling watches, then smile. Very clunky, never liked it.

So no more 'home of big brands'. Couldn't get any at a decent price and Homesmart from TJC doesn't count!

Latest posts

Back