Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I watched a few mins of Shop on TV a few nights back and he was selling the drones with Rob L. Rob was suggesting the 'pro' version of the drone would be a great buy for those doing or thinking of doing wedding videos, short films etc. However, unless I missed it, they still aren't showing any real life exterior footage of the camera. I wonder why. Note no question mark as I know why, the video quality won't be that great, even though it's a HD camera which in truth doesn't always mean much.

Certainly, the quality of the footage they do shot in the studio never looks that great.

Of course, the perceived quality of the footage would be limited by the device you're watching it on, however you can still get a good idea as to the quality.

Yeah, he NEVER touches on the most important things to consider if you are buying a drone with the intention of filming (especially if you plan to use a drone to film things that people pay for), including the most important part of all cameras: the sensor.

Light hits the sensors and that gets converted into digital data. Companies spend colossal sums developing sensors - that, and post-processing, is where the competition in camera technology happen.

A high-quality sensor is engineered to capture and process light more accurately and have a high signal-to-noise ratios. Thus, you get an image that's sharper/less noisy, with more detail, and better colour accuracy (and potentially enough data for HDR). And it is also engineered

A low-quality sensor (like the £4 off the shelf component used in these drones) simply won't be as good - it may very well produce the same number of pixels, but those pixels will have less detail in them.

It's (sort of) like a real eye: if your retina (sensor) is damaged (low quality) you still "see" the world in the same resolution as everyone else but the picture itself is less distinct/vivid/sharp, you can't make out fine details, etc.

But no, we don't get any details about the camera other than it's HD (usually 720p not even FHD 1080p), as if it's 2008, HD is brand-new, and we'll be wowed by that.

Most cheap smartphones can capture 4K - 8K HDR is the real "wow" offering these days, Richard.

The worst part: they're not just low-rent tech, they're vastly overpriced: you can buy a better spec toy drone (for that's all they are, regardless of "pro" in the name) can be found on Amazon for ~£60.

Last edited:
I have a DJI one but hardly ever use, as we never get nice weather

Even if you don't use it, you bought the best.

DJI = Rolex
Richard's Dire Drones = Gamages

DJI is the market leader. Their consumer drones are so good because the technologies they develop for their (phenomenally expensive) drones that are used in film and TV eventually filters down. More than just camera quality, but end-to-end engineering and design, custom materials, rethinking motors/stability, GPS systems, networking standards (to control the drone and receive a live picture from it), and so on and so on.

It's why Richard really irritates me when he goes on about "this Viper Pro Ultimate Deluxe PlzBuy Drone has all the features of a £600/700/10,000 drone" - it's totally disingenuous.

DJI = Rolex

DJI is the market leader. Their consumer drones are so good because the technologies they develop for their (phenomenally expensive) drones that are used in film and TV eventually filters down.
Dad bought himself one, and I liked it and he bought me one. But for what Richard Mires sometimes cost for maybe a extra £100 you can pop to Argos and get one

DJI = Rolex

DJI is the market leader. Their consumer drones are so good because the technologies they develop for their (phenomenally expensive) drones that are used in film and TV eventually filters down. More than just camera quality, but end-to-end engineering and design, custom materials, rethinking motors/stability, GPS systems, networking standards (to control the drone and receive a live picture from it), and so on and so on.

It's why Richard really irritates me when he goes on about "this Viper Pro Ultimate Deluxe PlzBuy Drone has all the features of a £600/700/10,000 drone" - it's totally disingenuous.
Argos currently has the DJI max mini for £269.00, I don’t know what makes him think of those prices

Noggin the Nog, there's a blast from the past, also Captain Pugwash and Ivor the Engine. I'm showing my age now.
Does anyone remember Noah and Nelly in Skylark? I tried to explain it to my sister, but she kept looking at me as if I was having an episode, so now I think I might’ve dreamt it. I think I might have to Google it.

Latest posts

Back