Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peter - "Sellita Sw200 is the crown jewel of watch movements" :eek:

"an exact replica"

Yeah, an exact replica which is a different size (replica is 41mm, original was 38mm) and a different movement. :rolleyes:
I have never heard the workhorse Sellita 200-1 described as a crown jewel. Literally never.

I suppose it might take that title compared to the Chinese tat in most of their watches, or the very bottom of the range Miyotas that also feature a lot with their shonky second hand jumping, but it is, was, and always will be, a clone of the ETA 2824 with one added jewel of dubious functional merit. It’s a good, strong, easy to service movement that can be regulated to high accuracy. And as such it’s the ‘go to’ movement for Swiss makers in the lower-middle range (Raymond Weil, Oris etc.). There’s nothing wrong with it (other than a tendency to break when hand-winding - the spinning rotor - that it shares with the ETA 2824 and hasn’t really been fixed).

If they were honest, they could say ‘this is a sturdy and accurate movement, created to last a long time and to be easy for any watchmaker to work on. It’s used in many good Swiss watches.’ And that would be truthful, not misleading, and would still show it as a good product.

What I really hate is all the exaggeration. If they exaggerate THAT much ‘crown jewel’ then it’s simply lying. And we know that selly telly presenters are the most ethical. After all, they are our friends.
Fiends.
Friends.

I have never heard the workhorse Sellita 200-1 described as a crown jewel. Literally never.

I suppose it might take that title compared to the Chinese tat in most of their watches, or the very bottom of the range Miyotas that also feature a lot with their shonky second hand jumping, but it is, was, and always will be, a clone of the ETA 2824 with one added jewel of dubious functional merit. It’s a good, strong, easy to service movement that can be regulated to high accuracy. And as such it’s the ‘go to’ movement for Swiss makers in the lower-middle range (Raymond Weil, Oris etc.). There’s nothing wrong with it (other than a tendency to break when hand-winding - the spinning rotor - that it shares with the ETA 2824 and hasn’t really been fixed).

If they were honest, they could say ‘this is a sturdy and accurate movement, created to last a long time and to be easy for any watchmaker to work on. It’s used in many good Swiss watches.’ And that would be truthful, not misleading, and would still show it as a good product.

What I really hate is all the exaggeration. If they exaggerate THAT much ‘crown jewel’ then it’s simply lying. And we know that selly telly presenters are the most ethical. After all, they are our friends.
Fiends.
Friends.
Yeah, but it’s obvious there are three reasons to why he’s doing it, one the bulk of the audience/potential customers are horologically challenged so they won’t know how much bullshit he’s talking, secondly his horological knowledge isn’t much better which leads to him spouting bullshit and thirdly exaggeration is to wow the potential horologically challenged customer into buying the alleged super, super watch with an incredible "jewel in the crown" movement.

The evidence for the above is quite easy to figure out, reason one is explained by the amount and variety of crap watches IW customers are buying which is obviously evidence they haven’t a clue about watches. Two is explained by the utter crap we hear being spouted by Reynolds, whether that is about hybrid movements, COSC certification, T100 GTLS tubes etc etc. And the third is visual evidence of watching them con folks on show after show.

Last night show was full of mistakes/misinformation/exaggeration etc, too many to mention, starting off with the amazing brand new limited edition Oceanum Liberandum Watch, which in reality is just like the Gurkha watch, which itself is the earlier Space Race watch with a different coloured dial/engraved back and given a new name and a new story, right through to him mentioning the Ronda Swiss made movement that was jeweled, he emphasised that the fact that it was jeweled was very, very important and was how you could tell is was a "Swiss Made" movement and not one from the Far East (ie Ronda, Hong Kong), sounds good, but he just happened to be speaking about one of the few Ronda movements where both versions have the same exact specs, both the Swiss and Far East versions ARE jeweled, both versions have ONE jewel.:ROFLMAO:

In between we had him spouting about the Seiko (Seiko Epson) perpetual calendar movement YM86, which was so great and amazing that instead of only being £699 the VE watch should have been over a thousand pounds, the movement was special, oh so special, which is strange as I’ve the same movement (although Seiko branded 7T86 rather than Seiko Epson) in a Seiko SPC129P1 watch and it only cost £159.:unsure:

And of course the SW 200, which he should really be calling SW200-1, which is the upgraded version of the SW200 “crown jewel” movement, allegedly fixing the ratchet wheel problem.

Forgot to say was really annoyed with the amount of times the "hand made" term was incorrectly used last night. Hand assembled yes, but there was nothing on last night's show that was close to being "hand made". While there are watches that could be considered "hand made" as apposed to hand assembled, I highly doubt they'll ever be appearing on IW and certainly nowhere near the sub £1000 prices on the show last night.

Forgot to say was really annoyed with the amount of times the "hand made" term was incorrectly used last night. Hand assembled yes, but there was nothing on last night's show that was close to being "hand made". While there are watches that could be considered "hand made" as apposed to hand assembled, I highly doubt they'll ever be appearing on IW and certainly nowhere near the sub £1000 prices on the show last night.
Closest they’ll get is ‘hand cased’. And I very much doubt even that.
One thing I also noticed about the lower end Miyotas now, nosing through some catalogues, is that they are nowadays assembled in Malaysia, using Japanese parts.

Interestingly there is an original 60’s vintage Mathey Tissot diver that they were making a big play about the reissue, on EBay. Not going for the £1000’s suggested but a respectable £1300 in the US. I wonder if there is that case shape been made widely as I see O&W have released a reissue watch with the same shape case. I know which I would sooner have👍😃
On about the vintage style case, what was it about it being 41mm they kept on about that, as if it was something special but the original cases would be around 38mm😵‍💫

Interestingly there is an original 60’s vintage Mathey Tissot diver that they were making a big play about the reissue, on EBay. Not going for the £1000’s suggested but a respectable £1300 in the US. I wonder if there is that case shape been made widely as I see O&W have released a reissue watch with the same shape case. I know which I would sooner have👍😃
On about the vintage style case, what was it about it being 41mm they kept on about that, as if it was something special but the original cases would be around 38mm😵‍💫

I'm not sure, but from listening to Kev et al, they all seem to be under the impression that everybody wants watches 42mm +, nobody wants 40mm or below, so 41mm will be close to their favoured 42mm. Personally if i was interested, i would have preferred if they had stuck to the original dimensions. But IW do seem to be pushing that big and heavy are the watches to buy.

Yeah saw that 60s original, decent price, but Mathey-Tissot vintage watches, when they used to make their own movements and watches themselves are popular, not so much their modern line up, although they do have a few nice ones, which are made by a third party for them.

Closest they’ll get is ‘hand cased’. And I very much doubt even that.
One thing I also noticed about the lower end Miyotas now, nosing through some catalogues, is that they are nowadays assembled in Malaysia, using Japanese parts.

I would give VE some credit, that although their watches are not "hand made" watches as Kev and Peter kept claiming, they are at least assembled and tested by themselves (VE) in Lithuania. And again, although the movements they use aren't as super, great, incredible as Kev would have us believe, they do tell us what's in the watch and are at least proven decent workhouse movements, whether it's the NH35, Citizen 6S21, hybrids or one of the Orient movements that Seiko Epson have renamed and called their own, unlike a lot of the other watches on IW which contain movements where hell would freeze over first before IW or the guest reveals what and where they are from.;)

Malaysia is also a popular place used by Seiko Epson as well.

Speaking of brands that like to keep things secret, it's Solar Time and the Shyster on the Monday night's watch show.

See you can buy the silver proof coin used
Silver coin watch, RRP of £1500 selling price £600. :eek:

That's some rip off, the coin itself is only about £30, nothing special about rest of watch, just a cheap quartz movement, worth nowhere near £600 let alone £1500.
About to write the same thing🤔
Get two coins off Amazon for £74 and make your own watch with out the faff of slicing it through 😉😃

See you can buy the silver proof coin used

About to write the same thing🤔
Get two coins off Amazon for £74 and make your own watch with out the faff of slicing it through 😉😃

Looking at Chards (Coin & Bullion dealer) buying 30 inc delivery & Vat + premium would be about £29 each.

Cutting the coin in half/drilling holes will ruin any future collectable value the coin might have had, the only value in future will be the value/weight of the silver.

Peter - "Sellita Sw200 is the crown jewel of watch movements" :eek:

"an exact replica"

Yeah, an exact replica which is a different size (replica is 41mm, original was 38mm) and a different movement. :rolleyes:
Are you sure that's what he actually said Hammy? Was it not perhaps something more like ...

is the crown prince of royalty personified through the ages of kings and queens and castles and moats jewel of watch movements

I'm actually being semi-serious, it wouldn't surprise where he's concerned.

Silver coin watch, RRP of £1500 selling price £600. :eek:

That's some rip off, the coin itself is only about £30, nothing special about rest of watch, just a cheap quartz movement, worth nowhere near £600 let alone £1500.
No, you mean the coin is worth maybe £3 given they've drilled a friggin' hole through it ;)

Their RRPs mean about as much as a politicians promise ...

No, you mean the coin is worth maybe £3 given they've drilled a friggin' hole through it ;)

Their RRPs mean about as much as a politicians promise ...

Although you're being a bit harsh with £3 :ROFLMAO:, yes, thanks to drilling hole and cutting in half, it's only value is whatever 1 oz of scrap silver (999 pure) is worth, which is approx £15 for 1 oz at the moment.

The presenters are now claiming to 'heat the room they're in' at home.
Peter Simon is on the bandwagon -says he's bought the ceramic heater and is spinning a tale of how he moves it from room to room.
Also Foghorn number 2- the appalling woman with the strident voice is saying how she no longer heats the hall blah blah.
I'm not being funny but I reckon Shaun's mum will have gone ceramic by the end of the week.
What's that rumbling sound ?
It's just Peter Simon wheeling his ceramic from the lounge to the bedroom.
Good on yer Pete !

The presenters are now claiming to 'heat the room they're in' at home.
Peter Simon is on the bandwagon -says he's bought the ceramic heater and is spinning a tale of how he moves it from room to room.
Also Foghorn number 2- the appalling woman with the strident voice is saying how she no longer heats the hall blah blah.
I'm not being funny but I reckon Shaun's mum will have gone ceramic by the end of the week.
What's that rumbling sound ?
It's just Peter Simon wheeling his ceramic from the lounge to the bedroom.
Good on yer Pete !

You forgot Knowles the Interiors, mattress, pillow and ceramic heater expert, he joined the club and bought one for his conservatory.

Plus every year at least one of the presenter's boilers has had a problem and they needed to get an engineer in.

Are these clowns aware that Karrimor is not the good quality Karrimor of old?
Do they realise that the Karrimor that gained the good reputation went bust and the present one is just Karrimor (owned by Sports Direct) in name only, products are all of lower quality than they used to be.

Oh wait, yeah they'll know, it's a familiar story with many of the brands that feature on IW. :ROFLMAO:

Oh see Mike's best mate Clawley is back, he ain't changed in his absence still a shyster. Crap from these two is astounding.

They deserve the meter.

index.png

Latest posts

Back