Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It’s news such as this that makes me so mad at 😡 IW.

Bear with me while we think what that *might* look like….
£45k on 89 watches would be just over £500 each. Now most of IW watches sell at around the £350 or so average, so let’s assume this poor collector bought 30 of IW’s better quality, Swiss Made auto watches (Matthey Tissot etc) at an average of around £800 each - that cost them £24,000. That leaves 59 watches at £21k so the remaining watches would have cost around £350 each - most likely Solar Time or Earnshaw, or similar.

Valuing that collection now would realise the seller around £500 each for the Swiss Watches (being generous, unless these were very collectible) so £15k, and around a tenner each for the Chinese-made others, so around £600. Let’s be generous because this is all just ‘rule of thumb‘ to approximate what is most likely, and let’s therefore double that to £1200.

So, thanks to Peter, Mike, Kevski, and the others, this collector has turned their £45k nest egg into around £16k or so. It’s almost criminal (to my mind anyway).

By all means, buy a nice Earnshaw or a Solar Time, but buy it because you like the look and realise it’ll last a few years and then be uneconomic to repair. It’ll never really have a resale value greater than a tenner or so, especially after the first couple of years, but it might give you great pleasure. If the salespeople gave out that kind of vibe, I’d be happy, but with what they do now, I honestly think it’s disgusting!
Lot of naive new collectors are being misled, lied too and conned by IW and most of the so called expert guests, disgusting is mild for my feelings towards the shysters. :mad:

It's a really hard one to put a value on his collection but agree with your assessment, with having so many watches, he's obviously not going to be wearing most of them much, so apart from any daily beaters they should all be in reasonable/good/like new condition, which in some cases can be good for reselling, but don't think it will have much of an effect, apart from the odd special with a Valjoux etc, not like it would if you were reselling a like new Hamilton, Tissot, Certina or any other mid-range Swiss or German watch brands which will keep their re-sale value a wee bit better.

While IW have a few decent/quality enough brands (Mathey-Tissot, Traser, Aviator, Swiss Military, VE), it's really hard to think of which watches would keep any good re-sale value. One of the problems is that although IW have the odd decent price, a lot of their watches can be purchased elsewhere cheaper, a huge range of Mathey-Tissot watches are available on Jomashop and even with duty/tax you can still make substantial savings over IW prices, so straight away your re-sale figures is going to have to be lower than prices for brand new versions of your watch. So if you’ve bought a watch on IW at £800 (might cost £600 at Jomashop) you’re already having to go sub £600 before you even start, figure in your watch is 2nd hand then as you say you’re down to £500ish just for starters, more likely £400ish or below even if it’s in really good condition.

With the bulk of IW watches, ie Solar-Time brands, Resultco brands, Fields crap & fashion watches, then they are almost entirely throw away watches with very little if any re-sale value, the only exceptions would be the odd Solar-Time watches, which are big, heavy and go to depths, thinking about the odd Nubeo/RGMT/Ballast but as these aren’t that expensive to start with, you’d need to keep them as like new to get anything back on them, again as you said, they’re not worth repairing, unless for sentimental reasons, so would have to be near pristine or you’re slashing the re-sale value way, way down. As for Resultco & Fields, don’t waste time, just bin. ;)

Of course in reality, IMO, watch collecting should be a fun addiction, any thoughts of investments/re-sale value should never figure into the equation when buying a watch.

Saw a small bit of Swan & Edgar show. The Ambassador watch is the watch being plugged first. Brand new.

Peter says it has the magnificent Seiko VK35 movement in it, a movement which is found in watches costing many thousands. :ROFLMAO:

Ok, the VK35 is actually a VK63 which, if being bought in bulk by watchmakers, would cost approx a tenner, yeah a massive £10. And as for being in watches that cost many thousands, well even Seiko's own watches, which contain their own branded version of this movement, the 8T63, are nowhere near a thousand, let along many thousands, price range is more in the £150-£200.

I see they are also doing their rebranded Ali watch again, IW £129.99, Ali £25.

So the first Nubeo on tonight, the Ventana, worth £1500 🤣 selling for £249, seconds hand up to usual tricks, stopping at 5 past, then dropping 10 secs😁
That rrp of £1500 is farcical.

Ok we've heard about Miyota 8215 and the sticking second hand, but it doesn't happen in them all, a lot of them don't. But for some reason, Solar Time must have access to all those that do stick, truly amazing. And i see that Mason's prediction a few months ago that the watch winder would sell out before the end of their first show obviously didn't happen as they are now giving them away. :ROFLMAO:

Actually missed the show, watching the fitba, only just watched the start of the show on youtube and immediately Bordell is off and running with the misinformation.

My name is Shaun btw (not like anybody is going to forget giving the amount of times he says it) - Now with Nubeo, let's just talk about the brand.

Bordello - The brand was founded in 2003, inspired by sea and space, blah blah.

While Nubeo was founded in Switzerland in 2003, that is not the Nubeo IW is selling, the original Nubeo went out of business. The present Solar Time Nubeo only started in Feb 2018, when their application for the Nubeo trademark was accepted and registered.

So different brand, different owner, different country of manufacture, different quality of watches etc etc, yet Bordello mentions none of that in answer to "Let's just talk about the brand".

Nice to see My Name is Den (aged 90) not only sticking to the product line today, along with retaining the gentle inoffensive tone and language professional shopping television channels strive for from the presenters “Some malodorous, evil piece of scum hit my car and drove off,” she sweetly expressed. Nothing really to do with the chopper they were showcasing - unless, of course, she was planning to put the aforementioned malodorous, evil piece of scum inside it and PRESS….Keep your private life out of the presentations, luv - particularly if you are going down that nasty little road of expression…

Saw a small bit of Swan & Edgar show. The Ambassador watch is the watch being plugged first. Brand new.

Peter says it has the magnificent Seiko VK35 movement in it, a movement which is found in watches costing many thousands. :ROFLMAO:

Ok, the VK35 is actually a VK63 which, if being bought in bulk by watchmakers, would cost approx a tenner, yeah a massive £10. And as for being in watches that cost many thousands, well even Seiko's own watches, which contain their own branded version of this movement, the 8T63, are nowhere near a thousand, let along many thousands, price range is more in the £150-£200.

I see they are also doing their rebranded Ali watch again, IW £129.99, Ali £25.

I've got to say it again. I'm not sure if it's an intentional result of the manufacturing process, but the plating on some of the S&E watches makes them look like shiny plastic. It looks like they've been dipped in a thick glop of gold coloured liquid. Thus making an already cheap looking watch look like something you'd pay £19.99 for tops.

I've got to say it again. I'm not sure if it's an intentional result of the manufacturing process, but the plating on some of the S&E watches makes them look like shiny plastic. It looks like they've been dipped in a thick glop of gold coloured liquid. Thus making an already cheap looking watch look like something you'd pay £19.99 for tops.

That's probably very near to their true retail value than the inflated prices on IW, prices of similar watches on Ali would confirm this. ;)

Not sure how those watches are plated, but it does give them a horrible cheap plastic look. Might be a cheaper plating technique plus a cheap, low quality gold, black or whatever colour plating they are using. Certainly not a quality heirloom looking finish befitting a fourth generation watchmaker. :ROFLMAO:

Just trying to work out how old Ween Dilson is? He has just been on with the portly gentleman with the specti..specta…glasses flogging some tat or other. Wilson then came out with words to the effect of ‘the frightening thing is we have nearly 100 years between the two of us.’ Nearly? I remember Dean Wilson on QVC 25 years ago, and he wasn’t in the first flush of youth then either. Early 30s I would have guessed. As for the other guy - he must be well into his 50s looking at him. That would make Wilson in his own mind, somewhere in his mid-40s. I suspect he is actually pushing 60 - albeit a very well preserved pushing 60. In fact, I would take a bet he is older than old Tubbs who spills gunk on carpets for a gig on IW. 115 years between the two of them more like!!

i would guess he is late 50s to early 60s, he has a son in primary school, but I think that was from his current marriage, I tnink he was married before, the Current Mrs Dean as he calls her, also works for IW as a model

He spoke about his older son on a cooking show a while back, sure he said he was about 25.

Is this his wife?

Wilson is flogging these ceramic radiators. He clearly thinks they are marvellous and wants to tell us every positive. He uses the tried and tested analogy of how poor his own central heating system radiators are at retaining heat. Er..his own radiators?? He doesn’t have ceramic radiators? You know…the ones he telling us to buy at £400 for two. Why?

Wilson is flogging these ceramic radiators. He clearly thinks they are marvellous and wants to tell us every positive. He uses the tried and tested analogy of how poor his own central heating system radiators are at retaining heat. Er..his own radiators?? He doesn’t have ceramic radiators? You know…the ones he telling us to buy at £400 for two. Why?

Sure i've heard him say many times he doesn't have radiators but has some type of underfloor heating.

But it is strange how ALL the presenters/pretendy experts still have and use alternative heating system in their homes, considering how many years they've been telling us how great these ceramic radiators are you'd have thought they would all have converted to ceramic as their main heating source by now. :unsure:

Sure i've heard him say many times he doesn't have radiators but has some type of underfloor heating.

But it is strange how ALL the presenters/pretendy experts still have and use alternative heating system in their homes, considering how many years they've been telling us how great these ceramic radiators are you'd have thought they would all have converted to ceramic as their main heating source by now. :unsure:
They know they arent worth having

The shammy man is on with his tried and tested Wheeltappers and Shunters type rapport...His girlfriend this. His girlfriend that..His mate Gary who comes round for vodka and cokes and spills the third treble one all over where Spot the puppy has urinated over.. Or was that the other way round? Now it is how he always spills his coffee over the mother in law in the car at McDonald’s, and Rover (the dog, not the car) urinating even bigger puddles of it than Gary, the vodka swigging neighbour from hell. The monotone delivery doesn’t help his gags that are more stale than a loaf of mouldy Nimble found in a balloon. Buy one get free, he drones on. Or is that buy one get another one built into the profit margins of the first one? Perhaps Gary knows if he is still vertical? I would happily serve him shammy and chips and make sure he eats every corner…

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal World presenters new sales pitch from the latest team meeting is......."Christmas eve gift" This is the new talk to try and convince the gullible ans sheeple that they now need to buy a Christmas ever gift from family and friends!!

I have heard this being mentioned by 3 different presenters already today....Cost of living crisis and all that buy keep buying even more than ever please folks.

I may be suffering from delusions but have we actually got some really good quality interesting watches on Ideal World tonight? Plus a decent expert, too.

Latest posts

Back