Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can’t remember exactly when this forum started but I was posting on here before my daughter was born, and she’s 20 in May so at least 20 years. We all had to re-register a couple of times since else I could’ve been more precise with the dates. I can go for years without posting but have always read, my favourite thread being this one.

2002 definitely it was here. Had about 16 years away and posted again from last year. This is definitely the best sub-forum with the best humour and poster interaction for me.

2002 definitely it was here. Had about 16 years away and posted again from last year. This is definitely the best sub-forum with the best humour and poster interaction for me.
I just found this site a few months ago, how I wish I had found it 20 years ago, it would have saved me an absolute fortune. I dread to think how many times I've got carried away and bought something because 'I wouldn't be able to get it later'. I still buy, but I check prices elsewhere and put things in baskets and have a think. Most things I've then removed cos I don't really need them.

Back to the sales techniques on watch shows employed pretty much by all the presenters, and backed up, usually, by the ‘experts’ is the KEY ‘I cannot believe what we are selling this for this price, compared to the RRP’ mantra. Surely, to fit in with ASA Rules (spits coffee all over the floor), these types of statements need to be validated with some actual on-air, at the time facts to support them. Like they do when they compare Rug Doctor prices, say, with what rivals are selling them for online for. At least then, that is illustratively and constructively supportive of the amazing prices they state verbally.

But with watches, they never appear to do this. I suppose they never do this because essentially there either are no other retailers selling them, or if there are, the prices are either lower or identical, which in turn, would kill stone dead, the vital high RRPs promoted option they rely on to increase and sustain the kudos and above all the ’underpriced’ and great value factor of the watches they present for sale. It should be NO BACK-UP EVIDENCE - NO SAY IT, but clearly it goes on and on regardless without the requirement of this.

Speaking of prices, i'm confused, what is the difference between these two, is there any, looks like the same watch to me?

Ok it's not show prices, but if someone was looking for a Vostok Europe watch on Ideal's web site then.....

958333 - £649.99

956729 - £579.99

or you could just go to Kevski Junior's site and get it cheaper, £550.

Back to the sales techniques on watch shows employed pretty much by all the presenters, and backed up, usually, by the ‘experts’ is the KEY ‘I cannot believe what we are selling this for this price, compared to the RRP’ mantra. Surely, to fit in with ASA Rules (spits coffee all over the floor), these types of statements need to be validated with some actual on-air, at the time facts to support them. Like they do when they compare Rug Doctor prices, say, with what rivals are selling them for online for. At least then, that is illustratively and constructively supportive of the amazing prices they state verbally.

But with watches, they never appear to do this. I suppose they never do this because essentially there either are no other retailers selling them, or if there are, the prices are either lower or identical, which in turn, would kill stone dead, the vital high RRPs promoted option they rely on to increase and sustain the kudos and above all the ’underpriced’ and great value factor of the watches they present for sale. It should be NO BACK-UP EVIDENCE - NO SAY IT, but clearly it goes on and on regardless without the requirement of this.

Not only should the prices be backed up with evidence, but also claims of World/European exclusives, illegal to sell anywhere else, etc. I also think they should be made to give the true, factual present day details of the brands behind each watch, ie that Solar Time, Hong Kong is behind numerous regurgitated old defunct brand names rather than the history/heritage stories we get on screen of the old brands which has no relevance or connection with the new brands.

I always remember the words of Jeff Freedman (Head guy at Resultco - Hertitor, Morphic, Shield etc) when asked about his marketing plan for his brands.

"We are selective as to our dealer base. Today’s retail market needs a road map to find success. We prefer to limit distribution with our desire to become a ‘house’ brand for the retailer. We want our dealer base to make a profit. We accept the consumer’s psychology of never buying a product at retail regardless of brand. Today’s consumer needs to satisfy their mental state to want a discount when making a purchase. To aid the retailer we enhance the retail price with an expectation that the dealer will discount at purchase. We allow the dealer to promote Heritor based on design and cost."

While IW's presenters & pretendy experts are unwavering in their assertion that the RRPs are the true value of the watches they are selling, in reality it's only a marketing ploy and bears absolutely no relation to the true value of the watches. Sadly too many fall for the con and believe they've bought a luxury watch at a bargain price. The presenters and pretendy experts are Shysters, every one of them.

It's kinda strange the way Ray 'Mulberry Silk' Kennedy talks, he talks like he works for Mulberry Silk Company itself. Like when he says the way they keep prices down is by cutting out the middle men, like wholesalers etc and dealing direct with the one seller in the UK, Ideal World. But he doesn't work for Mulberry Silk Co he works for a wholesaler & Retailer, Arkay Sales (UK) Ltd. I say works for, as the Arkay Sales Ltd that Ray originally owned and talks endlessly about the history of was dissolved a few years back and a new Arkay Sales (UK) Ltd launched by his son.

Interesting, Hammy. I had actually thought his surname was Mulberry, so obsessive and paternal he is about the products. At times I also thought he was a large, living silk pillow, so soporific is his delivery. I have found Mogadon more electrifying... To me, it always sounds like he has eaten an entire Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie without removing it from the tin first.

Storage boxes with the loud 12 year old sales assistant. They look like they are made of cheap wrapping paper with some crusty bread cellophane for the doors. And they want £29.99 for them!! £29.99, my ars..God! Do you think I sailed down the Thames on a sixpence? Now when I said crusty bread earlier, I think I meant to say two crusty rolls - or is just the way the presenter walks?

I can’t wait for Craig Stevens to have a watch show, he will be like If you wanna impress guys like me ladies you need to buy yourself this ladies watch

Along similar lines, something that i really laugh at is the amount of times they say, buy this watch, walk into your local and you'll have lots of bragging rights, all your mates will want to know about it, a real conversation starter, etc.
If i wanted to do some watch bragging to my mates, then it certainly wouldn't be about a watch from IW, buying a watch from IW is the last thing i would be bragging about. ;) :ROFLMAO:

ps

okay there are a few ok watches on IW, which i would gladly buy from an alternative honest source/retailer, but there are a lot that i wouldn't wear even if i was payed to.

The lonsdale spin bike £99.99......how long until they have a spring into summer buy the £99.99 bike and get the one that was £39.99 just a few weeks ago for free............as we have swallowed up thousands of the sodding things and cant get shot of them for love or money!

That seedy looking little man shop assistant is on dressed as a holiday camp tourist from Holiday On The Buses. Flogging Zhuzh with the foghorn voiced Welsh girl who could operate, without the benefit of the Tannoy, announcements there. Whatters would turn in his grave, you feel.

That seedy looking little man shop assistant is on dressed as a holiday camp tourist from Holiday On The Buses. Flogging Zhuzh with the foghorn voiced Welsh girl who could operate, without the benefit of the Tannoy, announcements there. Whatters would turn in his grave, you feel.
Zuhu h I have noticed doesn’t Even mention Steve Whatley now, It’s him who invented it, yet it seems his name has been banished

Yes, that’s right. I’ve noticed that also. I suppose death, unless they are flogging wills, doesn’t sell items in general very well, and tanning lotion is no exception. Facing harsh facts, Steve is dead, and died a very unfortunate reported death. They probably see it now as a bit of a downer if they even refer to him - though I think Ryan still gives him a mention from time to time. He was certainly never my cup of tea as a presenter, but what he did have compared to the ones around today in general, was a little bit of class about him. I certainly won’t forget him and I do think it is wrong, he has been airbrushed out of the picture over a product he brought to market all those years ago.

Latest posts

Back