Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Upside Down Head One says its better to have what you don’t need, than need what you don’t have. That being the case, keep all that shelving in the warehouse and no longer seek out customers you haven’t got for it.

In the right context that saying is actually quite good, ie be prepared, but when used by a shyster on shopping TV it's only purpose is to persuade the gullible into buying stuff that will sit in the back of a cupboard and probably never be used. There's nothing on sale at IW which comes into the "don't have" category in the future or buy now for a possible future use, either the exact same make/model or a similar alternative which will cover the "need" will be available, so even if there is a "need" in the future there will still be an opportunity to get and "have" it.

You never see Watches during the day, I guess they know they won’t sell

Only when watches are picks of the day (usually at weekends), then they have a couple of day time shows, but otherwise no. Most likely they see the market/buyers for watches as working age males, chances of them seeing watch shows during the day on a working weekday are slim to none, while normal daytime viewing will be made up of mostly women & retired folk (and folks that can't work ie with disabilities, illness, unemployed etc).

And like QVC, but in reverse, women are very poorly catered for in their watch shows, if at all. They did have those tacky SEKSY were they called, watch hours, but I haven't seen them lately. Otherwise, 95% of the shows if not higher, feature men's watches only. All this buy watches as a gift stuff Upside Down Head and others come out with - it makes you suspect their buyer model is very much based around men buying for themselves and NOT for anybody else. Hence, their lack of watches geared at the female market.

Mason has said in the past that’s not allowed, maybe IW are worried Sally Jacks will do a YouTube video with a title My Employees say I cant order while I work
Haha well they wouldn’t need to be worried as I doubt the comments would be in her favour. We can’t be the only people who find it intensely irritating, not much mention very rude.

I think it is a disreputable and despicable sales tactic. In fairness, I think, I have seen some presenters do it on QVC, too. Not quite as crudely as Robinson and Jacks, but regardless, it is a way of influencing selling to be highly suspicious of. Who really knows whether these people are ordering or not? They don’t provide any actual proof - just a theatrical and hysterical routine of appearing to do so. You don’t usually fight off the Partners in John Lewis, for example, for goods they are selling on the shop floor, or have a tug of war over the last remaining pair of trousers in M&S with their staff. Staff in shops usually buy goods off duty as it were, and most stores as I recall, don’t let them buy stuff in store when they are working. Why should it be any different with shopping television retail? A presenter can say they like the goods. No problem with that. They could even say they already own similar and recount their ownership experiences. But no way should they be allowed or encouraged, or both, to appear to be buying what they are meant to be just selling on air. They are NOT customers. And by pretending or otherwise to be so is a grand conflict of interests with their supposed role.

My name is Den and foghorn Jacks should be told not to order on screen.
Who knows if they are actually ordering or not,you have to give them the benefit of doubt,and believe they are ordering an item.
If it’s an act then it is deceitful and out of order!

I think it is a disreputable and despicable sales tactic. In fairness, I think, I have seen some presenters do it on QVC, too. Not quite as crudely as Robinson and Jacks, but regardless, it is a way of influencing selling to be highly suspicious of. Who really knows whether these people are ordering or not? They don’t provide any actual proof - just a theatrical and hysterical routine of appearing to do so. You don’t usually fight off the Partners in John Lewis, for example, for goods they are selling on the shop floor, or have a tug of war over the last remaining pair of trousers in M&S with their staff. Staff in shops usually buy goods off duty as it were, and most stores as I recall, don’t let them buy stuff in store when they are working. Why should it be any different with shopping television retail? A presenter can say they like the goods. No problem with that. They could even say they already own similar and recount their ownership experiences. But no way should they be allowed or encouraged, or both, to appear to be buying what they are meant to be just selling on air. They are NOT customers. And by pretending or otherwise to be so is a grand conflict of interests with their supposed role.

That's all it is, there is absolutely no reason for any presenter to be ordering onscreen other than as a sales tactic to influence gullible viewers (same goes with the stories of buying multiple items for friends & Family), they see all the products for the show in prep or they could just check the web site like everyone else, heck Jacks & Mason even say they pick some of the items for the show and items they want to wear on the shows, so could easily buy before show starts, have a friend or family member order for them or wait till after the show. There is no excuse for their behaviour it's just calculated shyterism on their part.

Anyone else would have not got this coverage.
Cue a claim for PTSD against Highways because a Dr said so and not the fact it was a car failure, some of us have been in an horrific car accident and have PTSD and lifelong injuries but I never went to my local rag. .

Latest posts

Back