Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Paul say everything twice Price. Now I would be intrigued to know his fate?

He was one of the first intake for the opening. I think he also did some product demos on QVC. Nice easy manner but was prone to repeat everything (a bit like Caine). Then, he was back in the changing room, and as if by magic (Mr Benn reference) the shopkeeper appeared, and his shopping television presenter career was at an end. Completely disappeared off the radar it seems. Hope he is still alive.

Douglas Grant is in the photo. His wife (then and now?) Karen Witchalls (I think then) is also shown. He was not very good and they both left quickly after the launch as I recall.

That’s a tough one. I think Lavers went first, then Whatters killed himself in 2005. I think Flint may have been the last to go, but I can’t be certain. She must have had a gap in shopping television presentation (unless she rocked up on HSE) after that. Hasn’t she been back on QVC for seven or eight years now or is it longer?

I’m getting withdrawal symptoms from not being able to switch to channel 51 to see if they were selling anything other than rattan furniture or air conditioners. I thought towards the end there was a bit more variety and I was tempted by a good deal on a Bissell Spotclean which turned out to be my last ever purchase.

I have dipped in and out of shopping telly since QVC started and watched a few channels come and go including Shop!, Bid TV and the Argos Shopping channel. I’m that sad I have started to dip in to HSN and QVC America on Youtube, though it seems to be constant Christmas stuff at the moment with Christmas In July. I think QVC UK did Christmas in July for a full week, but now it seems to be one day on July 25th.

I will miss Ideal World and hoped that a new buyer could be found and the channel given a relaunch, but it seems that the days of shopping telly are numbered.

I see Reg Becque makes no specific mention of his time at Ideal World on his Linkedin profile, which says it all really. He does state the following in his career roles:-

Deputy SheriffDeputy Sheriff
Los Angeles County Sheriff's DepartmentLos Angeles County Sheriff's DepartmentJun 1994 - Aug 1995 · 1 yr 3 mos

Quite useful experience for him in dealing with all those cowboys he had to face at Ideal World!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back