Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yeah I get your point. Suppose it comes back to the thing about to what extent these presenters put on a persona to sell the products. Some will do so more than others. So for those who know the real them off camera, some may well be quite far removed from the telly persona. After all it's a form of entertainment / show business.

For me all this talk of what their true nature is or not is immaterial, the fact is they were willing and DID act and behave like shysters, they openly lied to potential customers, they openly fed misinformation to potential customers, etc all while pretending to be of high moral standings and honesty. Whether it was a put on persona or not they were still in the wrong and acting immorally.

Shop Extra - the devil's spawn of IW?

Well it looks like Shop Extra will be IW Mark 2 in terms of product offerings.

They'll be selling Vostok Europe watches with KevR of Watchbase. 😲

Says Kev:
"I was introduced to Vostok Europe, probably the best boutique brand of timepieces in the world". 👴😆😬

So SE (Shop Extra) may be your future source of comedy hours after all.

Piranha products from SIles will also be on there, after a successful C&C SE trial.

See the announcements on the Hochanda Global LinkedIn page, Updates section, from which SCrawley is reposting:

Shop Extra - the devil's spawn of IW?

Well it looks like Shop Extra will be IW Mark 2 in terms of product offerings.

They'll be selling Vostok Europe watches with KevR of Watchbase. 😲

Says Kev:
"I was introduced to Vostok Europe, probably the best boutique brand of timepieces in the world". 👴😆😬

So SE (Shop Extra) may be your future source of comedy hours after all.

Piranha products from SIles will also be on there, after a successful C&C SE trial.

See the announcements on the Hochanda Global LinkedIn page, Updates section, from which SCrawley is reposting:

Surely no one actually thought it was going to be anything other than IW mkII?

Nothing, or very little, will have changed. Same type of products, same presenters, so I'd be very surprised if the verbal guff isn't also the same ;)

For me all this talk of what their true nature is or not is immaterial, the fact is they were willing and DID act and behave like shysters, they openly lied to potential customers, they openly fed misinformation to potential customers, etc all while pretending to be of high moral standings and honesty. Whether it was a put on persona or not they were still in the wrong and acting immorally.
It's not really immaterial though. I'm not for one sec excusing anything IW did (management and/or presenters) as my posts on here have hopefully proved over the months/years. However it's a plausible explanation. They're presenters. They're there to shift product. The management were evidently quite happy for the presenters to use the dubious selling techniques, heck they maybe even encouraged it.

It's maybe not the best analogy, however I said before they're in a form of entertainment / show business. Many of us watch singers, actors etc who portray a certain persona when on stage or in front of the camera. Then in some cases the stories come out about what they're really like behind the scenes, some of them even admitting to hating the public i.e. the very people who made them a success. It can be argued they're being duplicitous with the public and anyone else who buys into the hype.

It's the same with these selly telly presenters. To varying degrees they'll be putting on an act when the camera comes on. Is it morally right? No. But the world of sales very rarely is.

As a Create and Craft viewer, I really hope it doesn’t eat into the craft hours on the main channel, even though the Create and Craft presenters have promised it won’t

Depends how the new channel does, financially, if run correctly then Shop Extra has the potential to take in way more money that the Craft Channel, so would only logical the Craft channel could end up taking a back seat to the main money earner, bit like Create and Craft was when IW had it, it always played second fiddle to the main channel. IE Hochanda revenue is approx £16 million and their making a loss on that at the moment paying back a loan, IW Direct was doing approx £150 million sales when they went bust, so the potential for the new channel to a bigger earner for Hochanda is there, of course things could still all go wrong. ;)

I think his time is over shopping telly wise. Apart from that rant he got suspended for several years ago - his style is so 1970s in approach, I cannot see where it would fit elsewhere? Playing with his organ in Woolworths’ window is another opportunity now lost to him, as dear Don Estelle was reduced to twenty five years ago or so in the Milton Keynes branch.

It's not really immaterial though. I'm not for one sec excusing anything IW did (management and/or presenters) as my posts on here have hopefully proved over the months/years. However it's a plausible explanation. They're presenters. They're there to shift product. The management were evidently quite happy for the presenters to use the dubious selling techniques, heck they maybe even encouraged it.

It's maybe not the best analogy, however I said before they're in a form of entertainment / show business. Many of us watch singers, actors etc who portray a certain persona when on stage or in front of the camera. Then in some cases the stories come out about what they're really like behind the scenes, some of them even admitting to hating the public i.e. the very people who made them a success. It can be argued they're being duplicitous with the public and anyone else who buys into the hype.

It's the same with these selly telly presenters. To varying degrees they'll be putting on an act when the camera comes on. Is it morally right? No. But the world of sales very rarely is.

I know what you're saying, but the bolded areas are where we differ slightly, as i don't see them as entertainers working in entertainment / show business, yeah some may have originated there, but they're working in retail (Shopping Channel) directly selling to the public, different rules should apply, and they definately went further than just 'dubious selling technique' on many occasions.
Yeah they are using the TV medium (and web) to connect with the public but that doesn't mean what they are doing is similar to actors etc creating a persona in an entertainment program..
An actor playing a character in a drama show but who is a totally different person in real life, is fine, his fake persona is for entertainment purposes only and doesn't affect anyone directly, maybe effects the viewers emotions depending on the character they're playing, but that's it. On the other hand, IW presenters so called play acting / using a persona to increase sales, isn't entertainment, in reality it is bordering on fraudulent behaviour, and it does effect the viewer directly, deliberately giving false and misleading product information in a bid to persuade viewers into purchasing an item under false pretense is wrong and as i say bordering on fraud and whether they are nice off screen or not matters not to me as they've still broken the rules, just a shame that the authorities that are supposed to regulate channels like IW don't have the guts to regulate them properly. :)

Surely no one actually thought it was going to be anything other than IW mkII?

Nothing, or very little, will have changed. Same type of products, same presenters, so I'd be very surprised if the verbal guff isn't also the same ;)
Well I had hoped it would be different, better, quality products, that are reasonable, profitable and have some value. And different, better presenters.

What's the old quote about 'doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome'?

Maybe Hochanda can make it profitable, a going concern, due to economies of scale, use of studios, shared warehouse/staff, backroom admin, etc. and sound fiscal management, presumably as is the case for C&C.

PB's implication is the new IW owner/investors, the prominent one and the other one with lower profile but on LinkedIn, revamped IW but prioritised the wrong things, or cut costs or payments, causing supplier/confidence issues, resulting in cashflow issues, culminating in going into administration?

Hopefully the Hochanda management have looked at the product sales and realised the sales/margin is ok and it's the business management and balance of cashflow/cash management and investment against profit-taking that will make for a going concern.

I thought that the idea was to help save jobs, so I understand the employment of some presenters (the one's announced are the better of the group on IW), but why bring over all the old dross to be sold. You would think it would be an opportunity to do something different

Welcome back ProfB, @Professor Branestawm, see you're catching up on posts; hope you're ok.

Yes, noticed recently a lot of the open heart circles being wrongly sold/described as Tourbillons on various sites. Maybe the staff see a circle and movement and only know a Tourbillon?!?!
Thank you - yes, getting to feel a lot better now thanks.
I think that’s exactly what they do - hole in the dial=tourbillon.

Latest posts

Back