Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Right. I am just off to wash all my Action Men’s underpants in my super new camping folding table sized green plastic washing machine. When that load is done, it’s Barbie’s smalls, and the Timpo Wild West Fort soldiers’ blankets and handkerchiefs…
Wonder if it would work on Pedro's heavily soiled white (yellow) combinations. As he lives alone, it would be a positive boon.

Surely Mike could have brought in some of his y fronts to demonstrate using this machine. What is the point just talking about it, people want to see it working, although these are flying out, Mike would have us believe. 🥱
Everyfink is flyin' out when he's presenting, auto-pilot drivel ...

Flying out!
Website has gone crazy!
Internet in meltdaaaaaaaaaan!

He spouts it now and again at random, one after the other in quick succession, a bit like a parrot ...

So, we have Seen on TV, Shop on TV. Ladies and gentlemen I give you ... launching soon ... MY shopping channel ...

Sh1te on TV

I'll be presenting from my garage every other Thursday from 7pm until 7.15pm.

Be sure to tune in, Freeview channel 42.537. You need to buy what's called an 'autotune redirect' device and plug that into your tv to enable the illegal, oops I mean experimental, signal to be routed via Albania, Outer Mongolia and Inverness.

The new channel starters have probably assessed that the current core buying base is aged somewhere between 55 and 85. They hope, I expect, that the last of the non-Internet brought up with forty somethings will also come on board at some point. That leaves about twenty years or so of half the core buying base being on the planet still. Probably why people still start these channels. Short term thinking for a quick return. Not that is usually the case to date.

The new channel starters have probably assessed that the current core buying base is aged somewhere between 55 and 85. They hope, I expect, that the last of the non-Internet brought up with forty somethings will also come on board at some point. That leaves about twenty years or so of half the core buying base being on the planet still. Probably why people still start these channels. Short term thinking for a quick return. Not that is usually the case to date.
I’m Scarely 49 on Saturday, Even though I never had the internet at school, by time I went to college in 91, I’m sure they had internet then

Can’t see the forty somethings of today, getting excitied over a low rent shopping channel

I think in commercial terms, the Internet began to develop from the mid-1990s onwards. I first went online in 1999, and it was still a very basic experience, then. If you were born in the early 1980s, your formative years in general (say 12 to 19) were still very much Internet not at all or Internet novelty. So those types of people could still even nostalgically speaking, gravitate to some TV shopping channels.

Realistically, I think in 20 years or so, QVC will probably be the only form of live direct shopping by television left. I see no way this medium could ever appeal to younger shoppers in general. It would be completely alien to everything they are used to with their general online shopping experiences.

To be fair to Simon, correcting a handful of critics on an internet forum will be so far off his radar when launching a channel - as tin pot as it is going to be.

Too right; Simon Lie's got better things to be doing…

Like scouring the Chinese catalogs for pre-made products to stick his "big brand of Piranha" logo on.

And all those wire racks will need re-coating in gravy paste… I mean "years of built-up grime" for the glut of Blue Magic™ demos likely coming our way.

Not that Seen on TV's inevitable 2 ½ viewers will be buying much.

(Unless one of them is Muriel. She'll buy anything.)

I think in commercial terms, the Internet began to develop from the mid-1990s onwards. I first went online in 1999, and it was still a very basic experience, then. If you were born in the early 1980s, your formative years in general (say 12 to 19) were still very much Internet not at all or Internet novelty. So those types of people could still even nostalgically speaking, gravitate to some TV shopping channels.

Realistically, I think in 20 years or so, QVC will probably be the only form of live direct shopping by television left. I see no way this medium could ever appeal to younger shoppers in general. It would be completely alien to everything they are used to with their general online shopping experiences.
Sorry to disagree however I actually invented the Internet as we know it today in the mid to late 80s when in my teens. Or an early rudimentary version at least.

I bought a whole load of electrical components from Tandy on the High Street and developed the first Internet box by reading the more technical storylines in The Beano and Oor Wullie.

My mates auntie worked in the canteen of our local BT depot. With instructions written by me, she managed to hack the mainframe and install my Internet box.

I then started a test phase and actually managed a brief online chat with Telly Savalas and more locally, Lulu.

Then something strange happened. I had a mate called Mike Berners-Lee. He told his dad about my invention, I think the dad's name was Tom or maybe Tim.

Not sure if it was just coincidence however the next thing, all my kit was discovered at the local BT depot and Tandy suddenly banned me so I couldn't recreate my glorious invention.

Anyway, in the coming years some other guy was credited with inventing the Internet ... ah well, c'est la vie as they say.

Their current studio is in Covent Garden in London. Whether they stay there is up for debate. But Kevin watch guy said they were close to the original Swan and Edgar building. Not sure of my London geography
The Swan and Edgar building became Tower Records in the 80’s. I spent far too much time and money there. But I wouldn’t have ever thought about buying a watch from the building at any time.
🤣🤣

In the time that the portable washing machine takes to do the volume of washing, you could do it by hand, also you’d have to empty it out and use again to rinse and then wring washing out by hand. If you’re in a tent wild camping how the flipping heck do you power it up?

What a waste of money, you’d be better off with a washing up bowl and a bar of soap.

It looks like a port-a-potty!

Too right; Simon Lie's got better things to be doing…

Like scouring the Chinese catalogs for pre-made products to stick his "big brand of Piranha" logo on.

And all those wire racks will need re-coating in gravy paste… I mean "years of built-up grime" for the glut of Blue Magic™ demos likely coming our way.

Not that Seen on TV's inevitable 2 ½ viewers will be buying much.

(Unless one of them is Muriel. She'll buy anything.)
I always think of the Monty Python ‘Piranha Brothers’ whenever I hear the name,

I couldn’t resist a peek…what a cringe-fest! I can feel my toes curling with embarrassment 😳 I only dip in and out of this channel but was transfixed by Natalia’s on-screen preening. The affected head-tilt/hair sweep, her overdone lips, the stilted interactions with the gallery but more than anything, the CONSTANT looking at herself in the monitors. Quite nauseating 😐

Latest posts

Back