Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well, you have Tezza Hopping who seems to know from the inside out, and comes across as defensive of the channel in general, which suggests some vested interest. And ‘Paz’ to me, the nearest thing I have heard to Mike Mason in print. Or somebody offering an extremely plausible pastiche of him. Also protective and combative of the Channel and any criticisms of it. But again…as with all us posting here…nobody can be really sure who anybody else actually is in real life posting on the site - other than Rob Locke and Grant Bradley.
I was always convinced Paz was either Mike himself, The Goddess, or someone very close to them.

I always thought ‘Saintslad’ was either Peter S or someone close to him.
Peter and Simon both being saints….

Mind you, as Peter himself said, he’s going to hell..
I always thought people like Peter Simon who struggle with technology avoid computers and phones and would be unlikely to comment but perhaps a relative or friend on their behalf. Given that he is so ham-fisted with the little tech he is left to demo on air.

I always thought people like Peter Simon who struggle with technology avoid computers and phones and would be unlikely to comment but perhaps a relative or friend on their behalf. Given that he is so ham-fisted with the little tech he is left to demo on air.
Maybe.
But I wouldn’t put it past him for that to all be an act?

My ‘Branestawm’ name is because of two things…
First, my job, when I’m well enough, (I have MS which makes it very hard to carry on) is watchmaking. And my friends all think of me as a bit of a mad professor, because to them it’s all cogs, springs and pinions (which on a good day it actually is!!).
Second is the Professor Branestawm books by Norman Hunter (not the Leeds United one!), that I read in class in the second year of junior school and sat there giggling… I still find them funny now.

Maybe.
But I wouldn’t put it past him for that to all be an act?

My ‘Branestawm’ name is because of two things…
First, my job, when I’m well enough, (I have MS which makes it very hard to carry on) is watchmaking. And my friends all think of me as a bit of a mad professor, because to them it’s all cogs, springs and pinions (which on a good day it actually is!!).
Second is the Professor Branestawm books by Norman Hunter (not the Leeds United one!), that I read in class in the second year of junior school and sat there giggling… I still find them funny now.
Well, I always find your posts quite 'brainy' so it's a good name for you. Keep up the good work Prof.

Fair comment because somebody jokily suggested that one of his fan club was actually him. The fan sarcastically commented that Peter was on TV at the time he was writing. But if someone was writing on Peter's behalf that is exactly what they would do...

And, for the record, I think 'Nigel' who posts on the Shop on TV forum is Peter. He makes nasty, petulant comments about Rob Locke who openly posts on the forum (there's a hilarious thread about Rob twiddling his thumbs and being "unprofessional"). I even said that when reading Nigel's posts I could hear Peter saying the words. The only posts he has written are praising Peter or slagging off Rob🤔.

As for his technical skills maybe he got lessons from Our Bet (or even his dog).

Paz, I am sure as I can be was Mason. “They are all laughing at you, mate,” which he directed towards myself and at a laughing at, not laughing with way, sounded very much his vernacular. Paz also got involved in quite a personal spat with another member before evaporating…Both seemed to be sure they knew the other, too. The other member coming off the better!

Don’t normally bother with the ASA any longer, but this particular one even prompted me to contact them…

Dear Mr. Large Chest & Drawers,

Your Complaint

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority with your complaint about the Hamilton Beach Simplifry 4.2l manual air fryer, advertised on Ideal World on 12 April 2024 for £54.99. During the show, the presenter stated the product usually retails at £320. You challenged whether this was misleading as this product is generally sold for significantly lower than £320.

We think your complaint raises a valid point and so we have asked the advertiser to provide its assurance that it will provide its written assurance that it will ensure future savings claims do not mislead, and represent genuine savings for consumers….

Last edited:
This is where, from a business perspective (not poking fun) I would genuinely be interested to know how well, or not, the current model is working for them. As has been touched on previously, perhaps the pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap approach is working for them? Smaller margins but higher quantities sold. And on some items e.g. the air fryers, perhaps the margins aren't too bad. If other retailers are selling a 5l digital model for £40 and IW is charging £70 for something near identical, and shifting a few, then in that sense who can blame them. I'd love to know how much product they actually shift.

Surely we have to assume that's the case, otherwise why persevere with that model?

It must be. It's the same model (albeit with a broader variety in products) that TJC proper use, and they're profitable.

IW mk2 sold a few inflated lines, like watches (which they leaned into more heavily towards the end), but the majority of what was on air day to day was known brands that were somewhat competitively priced. I mean, that IW version would show direct price comparisons against named (and known) retailers which viewers could go and verify. Such confidence!

But arguably IWmk2 was doomed to fail. Its costs were greater than a regular retail store, let alone Amazon, etc. Trying to price match them ate in to their margins. That incarnation had to sell large amounts of products, which were usually from suppliers/3rd parties who obviously needed to make a profit too, thus smaller profit margin in it for them.

While IWmk3 is doing OK as it can get away with selling lower amounts of much cheaper tat it (mostly) sources and imports itself from China (no middle men to pay). The profit margins are greater since they flog cheap products even higher than their competitors do. E.g., £39.99 air fryer sold for £69.99 (but ofc one could easily expect to pay £300 for it 🥱).

Not everything is sourced by IWmk3 but the margins on those items are always higher anyway - like watches and Opatra rubbish (unbranded versions products on AliExpress for £4-20, slap an Opatra logo on them and it magically gets an RRP of £2,299, but IW can sell it to you at £299. Even even splitting the profit with Opatra they can get away with shifting less).

I mean, it's pure business: buy cheap, sell for more - but most businesses tend to care about quality, perception, building something sustainable… but IW/TJC don't - cheap tat, marked up, mis-sold as heirlooms, designer, last-in-the-business… At some point enough people will realise it.

Last edited:
Don’t normally bother with the ASA any longer, but this particular one even prompted me to contact them…

Dear Mr Large Chest & Drawers

Your Complaint

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority with your complaint about the Hamilton Beach Simplifry 4.2l manual air fryer, advertised on Ideal World on 12 April 2024 for £54.99. During the show, the presenter stated the product usually retails at £320. You challenged whether this was misleading as this product is generally sold for significantly lower than £320.

We think your complaint raises a valid point and so we have asked the advertiser to provide its assurance that it will provide its written assurance that it will ensure future savings claims do not mislead, and represent genuine savings for consumers….
That ain’t happening Duke

I don’t know, to be fair. I haven’t heard so many of those ridiculous price comparisons lately Or perhaps I’ve missed them?

The weekend Mike had bedding "new in the business" initially, but later in the show "we normally sell these for £60, and you'd pay £60 happily…" …now on screen for £19.99.

"Get in quick, gang" — yeah, "in" to moving transport to take them far away from you, Mike of the Morons 🙄.

How can it be brand new and something they sell regularly at full price — and when do they ever sell anything on air at full price?

When they say "we normally sell these" — they mean "we quietly added these to the website 2 weeks ago at an exaggerated £60 RRP so when we bring them to air at our intended price point of £19.99 was can say it's a saving".

Last edited:

Dear Mr. Large Chest & Drawers,

Your Complaint

I had a quick look online and the prices of that make and model vary from £40 - £80. I've never spotted any air fryer for over £300.

Good for you.

The weekend Mike had bedding "new in the business" initially, but later in the show "we normally sell these for £60, and you'd pay £60 happily…" …now on screen for £19.99.

How can it be brand new yet something you sell regularly. And when have they ever sold anything on air at full price?

Hope everyone got in quick — "in" to moving transport that took them far away from Moronic Mike.
It could be that it will go up to that price when the deal ends and his wording confused the matter. Not saying he doesn't BS but he mentioned before that sometimes he goes into autopilot but he did at least correct himself then so who knows

"Get in quick, gang" — yeah, "in" to moving transport to take them far away from you, Mike of the Morons 🙄.

How can it be brand new and something they sell regularly at full price — and when do they ever sell anything on air at full price?

When they say "we normally sell these" — they mean "we quietly added these to the website 2 weeks ago at an exaggerated £60 RRP so when we bring them to air at our intended price point of £19.99 was can say it's a saving".
Mike of the morons 🤣

This is where, from a business perspective (not poking fun) I would genuinely be interested to know how well, or not, the current model is working for them. As has been touched on previously, perhaps the pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap approach is working for them? Smaller margins but higher quantities sold. And on some items e.g. the air fryers, perhaps the margins aren't too bad. If other retailers are selling a 5l digital model for £40 and IW is charging £70 for something near identical, and shifting a few, then in that sense who can blame them. I'd love to know how much product they actually shift.

Surely we have to assume that's the case, otherwise why persevere with that model?

In December we'll see the latest TJC financial figures, which will include the first six months of the reincarnated channel. The previous figures showed a decline in revenue and profit, so will be interesting to see what effect the IW channel is having. Would assume revenue should increase, previously it was the TJC beauty channel, so the IW must be be bringing in way more business than the beauty channel did. Profit is harder to guess, but December should give us an idea. Personally believe it was the previous year's deline in revenue/profit that led to the sudden grab and rushed start of teh IW channel in an attempt to increase market reach and incease sales/revenue.

Latest posts

Back