Sarah B kindly emailed me twice re the New Website!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

very quick example here - just watching kama charms SALE hour - a blue topaz charm sold at 15.00 - I had it in my basket before sale started at 10.00 - clearly not a price reduction unless my maths has gone haywire.

Thought of another question. If the Clearance was just clearing stock why did presenters talk about 'amazing clearance price' like it was a sale?

Why don't you just change how you do things and have one fixed price for things, none of this going to one price then knocking a bit more off just sell it for one fixed price then move on if it don't sell? That way when you have a sale, you can tell us how much we save.

When I go to Tescos and get some baked beans, the cashier doesn't start the price at one thousand pounds and I have to wait for another shopper until I see the final price!

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought of another question. If the Clearance was just clearing stock why did presenters talk about 'amazing clearance price' like it was a sale?

Why don't you just change how you do things and have one fixed price for things, none of this going to one price then knocking a bit more off just sell it for one fixed price then move on if it don't sell? That way when you have a sale, you can tell us how much we save.

When I go to Tescos and get some baked beans, the cashier doesn't start the price at one thousand pounds and I have to wait for another shopper until I see the final price!PJ

What if I am the person behind you? But I don't want beans? I might want soup! I might want Spaghetti!
Oh I aint never going to Tesco with you :giggle:

That did make me giggle xxxxx

The Tescos analogy had me laughing so hard! :giggle:

If you look at this thread, I think it's pretty obvious why GemsTV Owners may not wish to participate by posting. You can see that even when given an answer, it brings up a host more - and some are quite legal and could get GemsTV into trouble by misleading advertising.

If it were my business, I'd be running for the hills (bedecked in jewellery of course) never to post again!

The Tescos analogy had me laughing so hard! :giggle:

If you look at this thread, I think it's pretty obvious why GemsTV Owners may not wish to participate by posting. You can see that even when given an answer, it brings up a host more - and some are quite legal and could get GemsTV into trouble by misleading advertising.

If it were my business, I'd be running for the hills (bedecked in jewellery of course) never to post again!

Same here but then again, if it were my business I would never have made the decision to come on here, have close contact with customers, want all of the good press and hide behind "email us" then disappear when it comes to things going wrong.

Which is what they choose to do, have done and now are running for the hills. hehehe

I hate this artificial and completely arbitrary start price, too. Also, SB has said before that he doesn't feel it is right to have an RRP since they make the jewellery themselves, yet what do we find on the website, that's right, an RRP for each piece...

I find it hard to swallow the Big Sale hype when the last time I watched, a blue topaz necklace, which had previously sold time and time again at £74, then after a few months went to £69, and twice during the late shift on Rocks, £64, reached the amaaaazing sale price of £149. Bargain! Not. I also saw a pink sapphire ring I bought for £39, stop and stick at £69 until it sold. Everything else that appeared went to the same price it always does, which technically speaking, is the "lowest ever price", but in reality, is the only ever price. I know that Argey used to get as irritated as I do at that particular selling technique. Somewhat misleading to new customers, and more than a touch insulting to regular viewers and buyers. The rules and regulations for telly selling need to be tightened so that the customer is given accurate information when considering a purchase, and not misled by inaccuracies or partial facts given during a presentation. A bugbear in this respect is the oft-cited "this has closed so much higher than this", which we all know means, "and so much lower, too. In fact, we're not even at the lowest ever price..."
I got some genuine bargains online in the Next sale, and the previous price was clearly stated for each item. You shouldn't call something a sale when items are closing at the same price as before, and certainly not when they are closing at a higher price than previously.

Quote Sarah: " Some items which have been on many times before will have several different closing prices. What we have instructed our producers to do for our Big Sale is to sell out of hundreds of different designs.In most cases so far items have been going to to the lowest ever prices."

I haven't been watching gemstv since the start of the big sale, but do you mean the starting price is the lowest ever price or that the items are being sold at the lowest ever price? If it's the latter, we're not looking at a sale, are we. All a bit of a fiasco if you ask me. I'm still cross that I failed to understand the Gemstvworld meaning of "sale" and "clearance."

It is a pity that Sarah or someone from Gems/rocks didnt email all their customers about their changes not just Mirabelle!!!

I never understand any of their channels saying we are not implying a value or a worth with the start price. That is exactly what you are doing. If I put a picture of a celeb on tv then put the caption i club seals to death I can't then claim I am not implying this celeb hits animals.

I believe (although am not 100% sure) that they have to say the ".... not implying a worth of value" to avoid legal implications (and numpties believing that the start price is the true value!).

With a falling auction you have to start somewhere. So, the question is where?

If you know that a piece is going to end up at £49 or thereabouts, you could I suppose start at £150 and drop by increments of £35 (bearing in mind there are typically 2 or 3 drops per piece). However, somebody is still going to believe that the £150 is the true value. If you start at £1,000 then less people (hopefully) will believe the piece is worth that! There's no right or wrong to where a falling auction should start.

Actually, once you've watched for a few hours or more, you can fairly easily predict the end price give or take a few quid!

What's more important is actually the end price. I judge everything by that.

Last edited:
I would rather they just charged the price they want for a piece, since I've already said many times that I can correctly predict every end price, as can my senile cat Bunty, so it seems a complete waste of time to me, and makes a mockery of the "genuine falling auction" nonsense. Yes, the price falls, but only to the point they decide it will fall to, nothing to do with the people taking part in the auction, sorry, "game". And don't get me started on the notion of being a "player" in their "games". I don't regard buying something as a game, and I've very rarely gone to Sainsbury's and played a high stakes game for a jar of pickled cabbage.

The Messenger

It is a pity that Sarah or someone from Gems/rocks didnt email all their customers about their changes not just Mirabelle!!!

I wondered how long it would take to shoot the messenger!..I didn't have to post I know..but foolishly thought I would do so, as to help out with at least some answers to some of all your un answered questions on here..as did Sarah when she did post..

FYI..Sarah emailed me on another totaly different matter about another thread on here where I posted and dissed the look of the new website saying i didn't like it it was dull/drab...
Sarah didn't single me out in any way to post here. "I did it with a reason and a with a view to helping...as I've always done!..I can see now why "I" stayed away so long..my post didn't really help anyone at all...

Mirabelle

I would rather they just charged the price they want for a piece, since I've already said many times that I can correctly predict every end price, as can my senile cat Bunty, so it seems a complete waste of time to me, and makes a mockery of the "genuine falling auction" nonsense. Yes, the price falls, but only to the point they decide it will fall to, nothing to do with the people taking part in the auction, sorry, "game". And don't get me started on the notion of being a "player" in their "games". I don't regard buying something as a game, and I've very rarely gone to Sainsbury's and played a high stakes game for a jar of pickled cabbage.

You haven't lived until you've played russian roulette over the roulades! Always my favourite whilst wasting time in the aisles! :rock:

Seriously though, the prices do vary (as we know sometimes to our cost!) and this type of auction is how they've chosen to sell. In the past there was always a mix with their fixed price web auctions so they did have both ways of selling. I'm not sure how watchable a fixed price auction would be? I suspect it would be deathly boring as the time would have to be padded with waffle by presenters - not a good thing unless you like and can listen to the presenter!

I wondered how long it would take to shoot the messenger!..I didn't have to post I know..but foolishly thought I would do so, as to help out with at least some answers to some of all your un answered questions on here..as did Sarah when she did post..

FYI..Sarah emailed me on another totaly different matter about another thread on here where I posted and dissed the look of the new website saying i didn't like it it was dull/drab...
Sarah didn't single me out in any way to post here. "I did it with a reason and a with a view to helping...as I've always done!..I can see now why "I" stayed away so long..my post didn't really help anyone at all...

Mirabelle

Mirabelle please don't feel like that. I can understand why you posted and you did it with the best intent. I think the reason people are annoyed is that Sarah chose to email you alone to explain what the company were doing when quite simply the management team could have contacted Graham or posted on here direct so that ALL customers (who had been asking questions on here) not just one, were kept informed. Personally I couldn't give a stuff because if I want to know something, I'll give them a call but people have built up a relationship with the Bennetts and would have liked to be kept in the know as well.

Just as an aside, if Sarah chose to email you about posts you'd made dissing the website then that's also out of order because it might have dissuaded you from posting similar thoughts in the future. I don't believe that any company should contact people direct to sort out issues unless invited to do so. That's just my two pence worth!

Your posts have actually been very helpful because we're now aware that the Bennetts will read the forum but won't participate. At least that will stop the "will the Bennetts please comment on ......" type of threads. Also we have an understanding of their definition of "Big Sale".

Please don't feel like the messenger has been shot. I appreciated your input and it has helped.

You haven't lived until you've played russian roulette over the roulades! Always my favourite whilst wasting time in the aisles! :rock:

Seriously though, the prices do vary (as we know sometimes to our cost!) and this type of auction is how they've chosen to sell. In the past there was always a mix with their fixed price web auctions so they did have both ways of selling. I'm not sure how watchable a fixed price auction would be? I suspect it would be deathly boring as the time would have to be padded with waffle by presenters - not a good thing unless you like and can listen to the presenter!

You keep yer roulades to yerself, missus!
I know what you mean about the dull aspect of fixed price auctions, but since I only watch when the fabulous Alan is on, anyway, it wouldn't matter to me. Haven't watched for some time now, but last time I did, the prices were going to the same "point" they always did. Except for the super-bargains, which went higher. But Bunty left the room in disgust at that point, and I decided to follow. Frankly, I can't watch any of the presenters these days, with the one exception, so if I were to buy again, it would be from the website, and I don't want all the malarkey of waiting for a web auction to end, I just want a price and I'll either tek it, or I won't.
Must go now as I'm involved in a very high stakes game for a multipack of Mars Bars from the local garage.

Mirabelle

I appreciated your post Mira, please don't stop posting because of a minority view. xxxx

Mirabelle

Nobody is shooting the messenger.

I think people are having a hard time understanding why she sent a message to you and saying she doesn't mind you putting it on here.

The rest is simply their marketing and deciding not to post anymore, which was foolish of them to be doing in the first place, and deciding not to do a mass email explaining their decisions or/and a thread on here explaining things then sticky it and closing it (which I am sure Graham would have given permission too)

(on a seperate note, I, again, never understood, why they choose to send presents to customers who were having a hard time, although it was very kind of them, very kind indeed, alot of people have hard times and go through bad patches but they never sent out these gifts to everyone. I just never understood that.)

Mirabelle

No-one is "shooting the messenger" what Jasper and others are saying is that Rocks/Gems as a company should have sent out a mass e-mail to all customers explaining the changes that were about to take place.

No-one is "shooting the messenger" what Jasper and others are saying is that Rocks/Gems as a company should have sent out a mass e-mail to all customers explaining the changes that were about to take place.

Sazza, I wholeheartedly agree with your above post, it just FELT" like "shooting the messenger"..as everyone was in the dark as was I..before I posted, and as i've already said I was NOT" singled out to do this..I posted off my own back with good intention's..
A customer round robin email would have been welcomed by all about the pending changes :)

Mirabelle

Here is a question that no-one has asked, probably for fear of being shot down in a hail of bullets. It is a fair question and one that does need asking imho:

knowing that you went to bed and RocksTV was there but it was gone in the moring, with no mass customer email or sticky closed thread on here. That they still have not done that (I checked my email).
How safe do you feel spending your money with them at the moment?

I am sorry if that question offends anyone but I think it is a fair question and one that needs asking given the current lack of customer relations.

Latest posts

Back