Shoddy new design Kuhn Rikon Shears

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I've just received the 4-pack of KR shears with the new design of handle and locking mechanism, most intended as gifts.

I unpacked the first one and the locking mechanism immediately fell apart!!!!

Another one felt very rough as the blades closed.

Just been looking at the one that fell apart. Either a spring shot out and is now lost, or it was never fitted in the first place. In any case, it is not repairable, so it will no longer close and lock.

The new plastic locking mechanism is far inferior to the previous metal clip, no wonder they were "cheap" compared with previous prices.

I haven't contacted Q yet, no doubt they will tell me I have to send ALL 4 back to them, rather than replace the faulty one. And who knows if I will then get them in tine for xmas.

I'll keep you informed.

Just rang Q, and as expected they can't just send a replacement for the one faulty item, they have to replace all 4. They are so inflexible.

They said they would send a label for me to return them, then they would send a replacement when they received them back.

I pointed out that by the time all this had been done, it would be too late for me to "gift" them for xmas.

So they agreed to send out the new set immediately, and a return label, so Hermes could collect the faulty set when they deliver the new one in 3 to 5 working days.

To be honest, I would like to check the new ones before returning the first set, in case the new set also has faulty shears.

The new design of catch is very shoddy compared with the original. As I said, I just squeezed the handle to open them, and 3 pieces fell off, including a spring that disappeared, and a tiny metal pin that was obviously not fitted properly. It doesn't bide well for their longevity.

Very disappointed, especially as KR had a reputation for quality :(

So much for their Quality, Value and Convenience mantra.

I hope that sending them back goes smoothly because some people in the past have said that the courier who brings the replacement goods won’t take the return back. It’s not his job. 🙄 More a case of “jobsworth” to me.

I also hope that the replacements are sturdy and don’t fall apart after the first use. To be honest, I’d probably have sent the faulty ones back and chosen something else for gifts, just to be on the safe side.

So have I, although I don’t think they were KR ones, but I’ve had them for years.

But I wanted another one for me ;)

If the quality is as bad as you say, then you could be sending the second set back again. If you’ve got an affable courier, then you could ask if he’ll wait while you try them, although if they’re faulty I’m not sure if he would take them back without a label. You can refuse delivery but, if you’ve opened them to check them, that might negate that option.

I hope you get it sorted and to your satisfaction, strato,

If the quality is as bad as you say, then you could be sending the second set back again. If you’ve got an affable courier, then you could ask if he’ll wait while you try them, although if they’re faulty I’m not sure if he would take them back without a label. You can refuse delivery but, if you’ve opened them to check them, that might negate that option.

I hope you get it sorted and to your satisfaction, strato,
The new lock is vastly inferior, but I doubt if it cost any less to make, so why on earth did they change a successful design; or was it a made for QVC special?

I’d stick with the one you’ve got, strato, assuming that you have got one already. 😉

Those do look like a better design, Twilight.

I hope you do get yours, strato, because they’re no longer showing on the QVC site so they may have sold out. 😳 If they haven’t got any left, then it might be worth ringing CS and asking if you can have a partial refund if you keep them. Then at least you’ll have three to give away as gifts.

Didn't that chap from the USA used to demo them, Mark Charles? I haven't seen him for a long time so maybe the manufacturer changed or something. I always thought Kuhn Rikon were a good make and I had those shears in the past. Wonder what happened to those???

CC

The ones that I’ve got had a large pair and a small pair in the set. I don’t think that they were Kuhn Rikon though as it was ages before KR first appeared on QVC. They’re as good as the day that I got them.

Are these the original design?

I think they must be very early ones as I can't see any locking device.

On my previous one, when you squeeze the handles they unlock and a metal clip disengages. To lock, you just re-engage the clip. The latest ones have a cheap and nasty plastic clip of a different design altogether

The ones I’ve got don’t lock with a clip. They close when you insert them into a protective sheath. I’m beginning to wonder if they’re Cooks Essentials ones. 😳

Kuhn-Rikon have an eBay shop, as I have bought from it. Cheaper than QVC, free shipping too.

It was the sharper I bought, then a friend got me to get one for her. Then bought something else which I cannot remember, would have to go rummage in the kitchen drawers.

I've just received the 4-pack of KR shears with the new design of handle and locking mechanism, most intended as gifts.

I unpacked the first one and the locking mechanism immediately fell apart!!!!

Another one felt very rough as the blades closed.

Just been looking at the one that fell apart. Either a spring shot out and is now lost, or it was never fitted in the first place. In any case, it is not repairable, so it will no longer close and lock.

The new plastic locking mechanism is far inferior to the previous metal clip, no wonder they were "cheap" compared with previous prices.

I haven't contacted Q yet, no doubt they will tell me I have to send ALL 4 back to them, rather than replace the faulty one. And who knows if I will then get them in tine for xmas.

I'll keep you informed.
Now I do hate to say “I told you so”, but I did try to warn you not to buy them....! 😉

(I was sure I had said that the shears looked different and inferior to the originals when you were talking about buying them with your voucher?
I found it in another thread and posted below)...

But I’m very sorry to be right on this occasion (usually quite like it LOL!) and not a good enough service - again.
If they were the design I’ve had in the past, I would buy more for gifts.
Alas as ever they decide to muck around with them and then launch as a new item.

Hope the replacements are not faulty and work really well at their job! 🤞🤞

“As for the shears, I bought the original versions several years back (new but off eBay!) and then bought a second set for gifts.

Mine are still going strong and love them.

They came in gift boxes and have auto locking design).

However, another set came out a couple of years back I think it was, and they’d changed the design and the reviews were awful...

So think maybe it’s a bit suss that there are no reviews of this set yet - I know it’s because they’re new! - but maybe they’ve changed them again (they do look very different to mine) and they’re rubbish!

(They may, of course, be amazing but am trying to make you feel better about not buying them!)”

Latest posts

Back