Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't understand how more and more people seem to be into "flat earth" type things and beliefs. Nor how many dismiss history.

I wish I had a recipe for a bread poultice. It seems as if I'm contradicting what I just wrote but some of the old methods did work. Not as wonderfully as antibiotics did when they were first used, but I've no doubt they helped many. I was brought up in a family terrified of gangrene and sepsis. It hasn't taken that long for that fear to seep back in due to antibiotic resistance. I fear for a future that will see needless deaths due to infection from a simple scratch again.

That is if we survive this virus. We're doomed!

Bread poultice
  1. Warm the milk in a small pan on low heat.
  2. Turn off the stove, remove the pan from heat, and let it cool so it's warm to the touch — not too hot.
  3. Place the slice of bread in the pan and let it soften.
  4. Stir the milk and bread to make a paste.
  5. Apply the paste to the skin and leave on for 15 minutes.

Although I was born in the 50’s and not the dark ages my family were fond of the bread poultices, I endured several but for the life of me I can’t think what for and my parents are no longer around to ask. I know it has something to do with the yeast drawing out the infection.

Even today youngish acquaintances here believe in “charms” given by specific people for specific ailments. In the past you went to see these people who gave you some daft thing but I’ve now heard of it being done over the phone!! Old country folk I can sort of understand but these are 20/30 and living in big towns.

Your'e not on your own LATI, aside from bread poultices, my nan would hang a cut onion over the bed so any germs we had when ill would be dealt with on the onion - a bit like the old fly papers attracting flies !! and then there was the.... wait for it....... sliced onions which were boiled in milk to eat in fighting a sore throat ! Strangely that seemed to work too !

My Mum swore by bread poultices for boils and abscesses. She also saved the fat from cooking the Christmas goose, stored it in a kilner jar and us kids were terrified of getting a cough or a cold because she`d warm the kilner jar by the fire until the goose grease melted and then she`d rub our chest, throat and back with it and we`d go to school stinking to high heaven.
She bought all sorts of weird and wonderful concoctions from a local herbalists and brewed vile tasting teas from what looked like dried wood shavings but were supposed cures for all and sundry.
She didn`t believe in dental fillings and swore they poisoned your body and said if God had meant us to have lumps of metal in our mouths he`d have fashioned us in the style of robots.
Tampons were the work of the Devil in her eyes and when I was a young teenager and asked could she buy me tampons instead of towels, she went mad and said it was vitally important I stayed "intact" down there until I was married..
She insisted the USA sending men to the Moon disrupted the weather and we`d no right to poke our noses on another planet.
People who didn`t wash their net curtains weekly or donkey stone their doorsteps were lazy, purple eye shadow and eye liner should be banned, white stiletto shoes were common, Pans People weren`t right in the head prancing around in their underwear, the Beatles needed a damned good haircut and all that head shaking would give them brain damage, dandelions made you wee a lot, outside toilets were healthier for you and loose tea made a better cuppa than those new fangled teabags which in her opinion was like brewing tea in a sock.
As you can gather my Mum ( God love her ) was a one off original who`d be well into her hundreds by now but sadly died in her 60`s.

When I got to work at the bookshop yesterday I found we had been burgled.

They took the contents of the safe, the bottles of hand gel and anti bac spray from the staff room, the toilet rolls from the staff loos and my stash of Jaffa Cakes!!

They didn't touch the stock guess they were happy with the hand sanitiser and loo rolls :)

I don't understand how more and more people seem to be into "flat earth" type things and beliefs. Nor how many dismiss history.

I wish I had a recipe for a bread poultice. It seems as if I'm contradicting what I just wrote but some of the old methods did work. Not as wonderfully as antibiotics did when they were first used, but I've no doubt they helped many. I was brought up in a family terrified of gangrene and sepsis. It hasn't taken that long for that fear to seep back in due to antibiotic resistance. I fear for a future that will see needless deaths due to infection from a simple scratch again.

That is if we survive this virus. We're doomed!
However bad the situation gets please don't be tempted to eat either of these :oops:

Bread Poultice
  • First clean the wound.
  • Fold the handkerchief along the diagonal.
  • Place the bread on the handkerchief.
  • Pour boiling water over the bread to thoroughly wet the bread but not dripping wet.
  • As soon as the bread has cooled enough to be put against the skin, place over the thorn or glass. If you get the patient to do this themselves then they won't get scalded.
  • Tie the ends of the handkerchief around the wound to keep it in place. Again, let the patient decide when they can tolerate it. Encourage them try to do it as soon as they can put up with the heat. The hotter, the better.
Or there's this one:

Bread poultice
  1. Warm the milk in a small pan on low heat.
  2. Turn off the stove, remove the pan from heat, and let it cool so it's warm to the touch — not too hot.
  3. Place the slice of bread in the pan and let it soften.
  4. Stir the milk and bread to make a paste.
  5. Apply the paste to the skin and leave on for 15 minutes

When I got to work at the bookshop yesterday I found we had been burgled.

They took the contents of the safe, the bottles of hand gel and anti bac spray from the staff room, the toilet rolls from the staff loos and my stash of Jaffa Cakes!!

They didn't touch the stock guess they were happy with the hand sanitiser and loo rolls :)
That's horrible. Illiterate thugs.

Yes Brissles! I posted earlier that my local supermarket which is in the Waitrose category was calm and orderly! We just simply do not go around filling our trolleys in overload mode round here, oh no! I have to say I have a delivery coming from Morrisons in 2 weeks time! Traitor that I am.

I have never seen such selfish behaviour buying 20 huge packs of toilet paper like they are stocking a shop...now we can't get baked beans either. Tinned spaghetti is still available but its not protein based like baked beans. its like somebody knows there is going to be a war

Vienna, please put all your memories into a book. My wonderful grandmother also told tales like yours & I've always wished that I'd written them down when freshly told. Working in a school meant that I talked for England; just before I retired a boy in year 7 told me that of all the teachers he'd ever known (bless) I was the best at telling stories & when I spoke he could see pictures in his mind. It was the best thing a child ever said to me.

Although I was born in the 50’s and not the dark ages my family were fond of the bread poultices, I endured several but for the life of me I can’t think what for and my parents are no longer around to ask. I know it has something to do with the yeast drawing out the infection.

Even today youngish acquaintances here believe in “charms” given by specific people for specific ailments. In the past you went to see these people who gave you some daft thing but I’ve now heard of it being done over the phone!! Old country folk I can sort of understand but these are 20/30 and living in big towns.

I work in a bakery(we bake for home bakeries) I am in the office and do orders and stock control etc. Anyway one of the packers had a boil in her armpit and I went poultices. We have yeast in work and mixed up boiling water and powder yeast it has to be boiling hence why so painful. I did let it cool a little but she screamed and wanted it off straight away. I had a Scottish granny I know all the old remedies. Diarrhoea flour and milk in thick milkshake-like consistency and drink.

I remember Kaolin Poultice when I had Mumps, sitting in a darkened room with Measles, having my chest rubbed with Goose grease for a bad chesty cough and honey and lemon in hot water to drink. I’m sure there are many more and thanks to Vienna for those memories of your Mother.

I envy those who have memories of Grandparents and their generation.I only had my maternal Grandmother and she died when I was 3.I just remember her as an old lady in a black dress.
On the subject of treatments my Father had a carbuncle on his neck which I think is a multi headed boil? The GP treated it with something new, it was called penicillin.

As a child I really dreaded the Andrews Liver Salts coming out.

Your'e not on your own LATI, aside from bread poultices, my nan would hang a cut onion over the bed so any germs we had when ill would be dealt with on the onion - a bit like the old fly papers attracting flies !! and then there was the.... wait for it....... sliced onions which were boiled in milk to eat in fighting a sore throat ! Strangely that seemed to work too !
Onions are amazing, we had our hall, stairs & landing decorated last year & the smell was all over the house. I was told to cut a onion in half & leave it in the hall overnight & it would absorb the smell. It did. No onion emoji so a onion tears one instead :cry:

I envy those who have memories of Grandparents and their generation.I only had my maternal Grandmother and she died when I was 3.I just remember her as an old lady in a black dress.
On the subject of treatments my Father had a carbuncle on his neck which I think is a multi headed boil? The GP treated it with something new, it was called penicillin.
I had a full set when I was born & four weeks later my paternal grandfather died; when I became a granny I decided to find out as much about him as possible & his WW1 war record was, as with so many in that conflict, humbling in the extreme. My maternal grandmother was the most important person in my life, & with apologies to all who are in it now, she still is. I adored her, can still hear her voice & I'm more her granddaughter than I'm anything else. Her favourite expression was "the magic of ordinary days" & she could make the most basic event special. She loved animals & was especially fond of garden birds, watching her put out her hand & call "Bobby" then see a robin land on her was like a conjuring trick for me. She died when she was 85, two days earlier she had been to the hairdresser & she passed wearing her red lipstick. What a woman.

Another old tip for pain is to make a compress saturated with castor oil. Place it over the site of the pain and cover with cling film (to protect your clothes) it can be left on overnight to do its work. You can do this several nights in a row, it does work I have tried it for stomach pain.

If you suffer from cold feet just sprinkle some cayenne pepper in your socks - it really helps.

I never thought I would hear the day - after listening to the local radio where all the groups helping self isolated people etc giving out twitter and Facebook details for contact Mr L said perhaps we should sign up to SM!!!!!

I wonder if people realise what they are saying - one said she understood some (old) people didn’t have SM so she was setting up a text service to do daily contact for people - fantastic idea - then proceeded to say the number would be available on her twitter thingy.

Vienna your Mum sounded a right character !! Brilliant.

How about this. When at age 11 I started menstruating, both my Mum and Gran told me NOT to wash my hair or have a bath during this 'period' ! as it would give me a 'funny' head. For years I believed it and so I didn't.

To aid recovery after an illness, - and it was lovely to drink, my Mum would whip up a beaten egg and milk with a drop of sherry in it. Even now if I suffer with a sore throat and cant eat, I have a hot oxo and goes down a treat.

Honestly ? I feel sad that a lot of this generation's young mums have no idea about these old 'remedies' and will die out in favour or antibacterial throat sprays !!!!!

There is an interesting article in today’s Times (online) about cleaning etc. I understand what they mean by not using cash but it’s not going to be practical in some cases.

sorry can’t do links (wish I could but iPad although a wonderful thing is a bit of a pain to manipulate)

Latest posts

Back