Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We should have one of those big bright stars tomorrow, a once-in-a-lifetime event. just after sunset in the south west sky (more or less where the sun set). It won't last long before it sets, as it will be quite low down in the sky. It should be the brightest "star" you've ever seen, it's actually 2 planets merged together.

Rumoured to be the same event as the star in the Christmas story,

We should have one of those big bright stars tomorrow, a once-in-a-lifetime event. just after sunset in the south west sky (more or less where the sun set). It won't last long before it sets, as it will be quite low down in the sky. It should be the brightest "star" you've ever seen, it's actually 2 planets merged together.

I wrote this on the calendar a few days ago. I love the sky, find events like this really special & every July & August I spend my evenings in the garden watching the Perseids. Your last sentence reduced me to tears, because we really need a light to guide us through this darkness.

Let`s all think back to something special we remember from a past Christmas and hope we once again feel the same way in Christmases to come. I had my 3rd baby on December 22nd, he was a month early and it was a hastily induced birth because the Doctor thought there was a problem with my placenta. Anyway out he popped and was bigger than they thought he would be but because he was early and they wanted me to stay in hospital over Christmas instead of the 48 hours I was hoping for.
I begged not to stay in and they said it was down to the senior Doctor to decide if/when I could go home to my husband and my other 2 sons who were excited about a new brother but even more excited about Christmas.
On Christmas Eve I waited and waited for the senior Doctor to come and see me and to check that my son was ok to take home. Whilst I was waiting and sitting in bed cuddling my baby, a choir of children and adults came onto the ward and gathered around my bed and sang the following carol. For the first time in my life that carol really meant something and later that day, around 6pm on Christmas Eve, when everything outside was dark, the shops were closed, the Christmas lights twinkled and the streets seemed quiet, I got into our motorised donkey driven by my husband and went home to my sons and to a special Christmas Day. Here`s that carol and it never fails to take me back to that very special Christmas Eve.

There are very few things as beautiful as a boy soprano's voice. What a very special story & wishing your baby a happy day on Tuesday. It will also be our younger daughter's fifth wedding anniversary & my memories of their wonderful Winter Solstice wedding are the ones I will be thinking about.

Last edited:
What a very special story & wishing your baby a happy day on Tuesday. It will also be our younger daughter's fifth wedding anniversary & my memories of their wonderful Winter Solstice wedding are the ones I will be thinking about.
My baby will be 34 on Tuesday and at over 6ft tall he`s grown a bit since he was hastily dragged into the World that very worrying day. Enjoy the lovely memories of your daughter`s wedding and hang onto to them.

What a very special story & wishing your baby a happy day on Tuesday. It will also be our younger daughter's fifth wedding anniversary & my memories of their wonderful Winter Solstice wedding are the ones I will be thinking about.
I will try to focus on 2 special December dates. My grandson will be three years old on 22nd December ( tier 4 means we won’t see him ) and just like you Twilight my younger daughter was married 5 years ago on 27th December. Let’s all turn to happy memories in these times.

Thank you for sharing this, really helpfull

You're welcome (as my cousin would say).

Strato's advice of rinsing, even with plain water, before cleaning teeth is especially helpful as anything acidic in the mouth with soften enamel. Cleaning teeth while they're in that state will damage it.

If you can't be bothered to rinse and spit, just rolling some water around in your mouth a few times then swallowing is good. It's a great habit to keep a mug of water next to you at all times.

My Obie in different clothes.

He stole 11 cooked yorkshire puddings off a high kitchen worktop a couple of weeks ago. They were to go with our
I've been doing that for several years, too.

My cousin is a dental hygiene nurse in Canada and passes quite a bit of helpful stuff over to me as my teeth are not great despite efforts all my adult life to keep me from having work done. It's worked to a certain extent as I visit every 6 months but rarely need fillings etc., but age is starting to catch up with them now. She also sends new stuff over for me to try along with my regular order of Crest flossers. The latest was Clinipro tooth creme. I quite like this stuff and as strange as it sounds my teeth feel stronger. I don't use it every day but I will use it for a few days on the trot every few weeks. I also got a tooth mousse product that's great on my most sensitive teeth.

She told me the science behind the Clinipro is quite interesting (but I've forgotten the details!). Something about the type of fluoride being neutralised in our mouths quite quickly with normal toothpaste but the ingredients in this don't get neutralised so quickly. She also got me onto Oral B toothpaste with stannous fluoride in it as this stays on the teeth longer than straight fluoride. There are a few different types of Oral B pastes so check for stannous in the ingredients if you use a toothpaste to help prevent cavities.

I had a load of fillings done with her on the cheap several years ago. What a difference to my UK dentist. The whole experience was completely pain-free. It was a bit uncomfortable as my mouth is a bit crowded and I have a hair-trigger gag reflex but no pain whatsoever. But, wow. I've never had pain-free treatment before or since. Dental and health treatment are on a completely different planet to NHS services over here. My aunt's family all see their own 'family doctor' with none of this you'll see whoever on the day (if you're lucky to get an appointment in the first place!). The doctor gets to know his patients properly so treatment is so much better and followed through properly. I'm truly envious. They have to pay a bit more for certain things but you're treated like a human.

My cousin is a dental hygiene nurse in Canada and passes quite a bit of helpful stuff over to me as my teeth are not great despite efforts all my adult life to keep me from having work done. It's worked to a certain extent as I visit every 6 months but rarely need fillings etc., but age is starting to catch up with them now. She also sends new stuff over for me to try along with my regular order of Crest flossers. The latest was Clinipro tooth creme. I quite like this stuff and as strange as it sounds my teeth feel stronger. I don't use it every day but I will use it for a few days on the trot every few weeks. I also got a tooth mousse product that's great on my most sensitive teeth.

She told me the science behind the Clinipro is quite interesting (but I've forgotten the details!). Something about the type of fluoride being neutralised in our mouths quite quickly with normal toothpaste but the ingredients in this don't get neutralised so quickly. She also got me onto Oral B toothpaste with stannous fluoride in it as this stays on the teeth longer than straight fluoride. There are a few different types of Oral B pastes so check for stannous in the ingredients if you use a toothpaste to help prevent cavities.

I had a load of fillings done with her on the cheap several years ago. What a difference to my UK dentist. The whole experience was completely pain-free. It was a bit uncomfortable as my mouth is a bit crowded and I have a hair-trigger gag reflex but no pain whatsoever. But, wow. I've never had pain-free treatment before or since. Dental and health treatment are on a completely different planet to NHS services over here. My aunt's family all see their own 'family doctor' with none of this you'll see whoever on the day (if you're lucky to get an appointment in the first place!). The doctor gets to know his patients properly so treatment is so much better and followed through properly. I'm truly envious. They have to pay a bit more for certain things but you're treated like a human.

Don't you have to have insurance over there, like the US?

What time should we be in the garden then?

I will try to focus on 2 special December dates. My grandson will be three years old on 22nd December ( tier 4 means we won’t see him ) and just like you Twilight my younger daughter was married 5 years ago on 27th December. Let’s all turn to happy memories in these times.

Our Haydn (our beautiful grandson) will be four years old on the 23rd of December ❤️😃

He’s at that age when everything about Christmas is magical, when we’re driving and he sees houses with lights and decorations gets all excited and shouts “nanny! grandpops look!” He’s so kind and funny, we’re tier two so can see our grankiddies (although cautiously) but Evie, I’m sorry you won’t be able to see him Christmas Day, just look forward to next year when 2020 will just be distant memory/nightmare...........when you see him give him big a hug from me, and hope your Christmas is a peaceful, happy one. 🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁❤️❤️❤️🙏🙏😘 xx

Our newest great grandson was born in May and we haven’t been able to see him yet. He has missed out on all the cuddles and kisses from the family and it is so frustrating for his grandparents. But for his sake and ours we have to stay safe and wait and hope we can see him for his first birthday. They live some distance from us and are in a higher tier so that makes it even more difficult.

Our Haydn (our beautiful grandson) will be four years old on the 23rd of December ❤️😃

He’s at that age when everything about Christmas is magical, when we’re driving and he sees houses with lights and decorations gets all excited and shouts “nanny! grandpops look!” He’s so kind and funny, we’re tier two so can see our grankiddies (although cautiously) but Evie, I’m sorry you won’t be able to see him Christmas Day, just look forward to next year when 2020 will just be distant memory/nightmare...........when you see him give him big a hug from me, and hope your Christmas is a peaceful, happy one. 🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁❤️❤️❤️🙏🙏😘 xx
Happy Birthday to Haydn on Wednesday, being 4 is wonderful & so his excitement. Obviously we've all missed out on the usual December activities but the joy a child feels when seeing Christmas lights & decorations are the priceless moments. I've bought a book called Was That Christmas? by Hilary McKay; the illustrations are beautiful & it's almost like reading an exciting list, sounds odd I know. Even though the character's a girl I think all small children would love it, I do! If anyone hasn't read her books I thoroughly recommend them, starting with The Skylarks War & then the ones about the Casson family.

Our newest great grandson was born in May and we haven’t been able to see him yet. He has missed out on all the cuddles and kisses from the family and it is so frustrating for his grandparents. But for his sake and ours we have to stay safe and wait and hope we can see him for his first birthday. They live some distance from us and are in a higher tier so that makes it even more difficult.
Betty, that's such a shame & we're in the same situation, our youngest granddaughter is six months old & I haven't met her; she's now able to sit in a highchair & has discovered her voice. By the time the other three were that age I felt that I knew them, they recognised us & we'd had some lovely times together. When I bought her Christmas presents it was like getting items to put in the boxes we sent from school to charities & I wonder if we'll ever have a relationship with her like the ones we have with her siblings & cousin.

Happy Birthday to Haydn on Wednesday, being 4 is wonderful & so his excitement. Obviously we've all missed out on the usual December activities but the joy a child feels when seeing Christmas lights & decorations are the priceless moments. I've bought a book called Was That Christmas? by Hilary McKay; the illustrations are beautiful & it's almost like reading an exciting list, sounds odd I know. Even though the character's a girl I think all small children would love it, I do! If anyone hasn't read her books I thoroughly recommend them, starting with The Skylarks War & then the ones about the Casson family.

Aw thank you 🥰🥰❤️❤️🙏🙏😘😘 xx

Yes children have missed out on a lot this year, Christmas especially, especially for the children of those families who’ve lost their income. I love Christmas but hate the fact it hammers home just how sad it is for those people who have nothing.

Hope you get to see him soon Bb. ❤️🙏 xx

My Obie in different clothes.

He stole 11 cooked yorkshire puddings off a high kitchen worktop a couple of weeks ago. They were to go with our

Don't you have to have insurance over there, like the US?

What time should we be in the garden then?
'The pair will begin to shine brightly shortly after Sunset, and with it being Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year - you can expect that at the extremely early time of 3.54pm GMT.

They will then only continue to shine for around two hours, so make sure you get out and have a look before 6pm GMT, after which the UK's positioning on Earth will have turned away from them.

To find the 'star', simply look at the Moon, which will only be half full, and look for the bright object above it.'

I found this a few days ago, printed it in fairly large red letters & stuck it on the boiler which is next to the kitchen window, I've also set my alarm.

It’s due to be cloudy here this evening and apparently I’m not in the ideal location to see it clearly anyway but, for anyone who isn’t sure what to look for, it should look like this ......

A861675C-B289-4956-9EEA-9E75E75614A3.jpeg

It seems that every time there is a significant astronomical event, the weather stops us seeing it.

I've never yet seen an eclipse of the moon, which is not all that rare, but the weather has always been poor when I've tried to see one.

And even the last full eclipse of the sun in the UK, many years ago, it was very cloudy.

Latest posts

Back