Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This made me cry šŸ˜¢. Reminds me of my little Eric (he of avatar fame), I lost him in July 2019 and at times in lockdown all Iā€™ve wanted is to be with him.
Awww I am so sorry to hear this ... i know the pain of losing a beloved furbaby ... I hope you jace family or friends you can reach out to
Youā€™ve worried me now bless you ... I understand the pain i really so ā¤ļø

Iā€™ve stockpiled some fish oils from Tesco does that count šŸ¤£šŸ‘

If I was going to buy something expensive where I need to actually try it to know if itā€™s any good then I would use Q and perhaps EP so it can be returned before 2nd payment due. Fortunately this only happens about once every 18/24 months and Iā€™m fortunate to be able to buy without EP.

I would say EP could soon mount up without people realising just how much they have committed themselves to.

Stratto were you stockpiling 20 years ago for an impending nuclear attack? How do you have so much old food tins - do you no longer buy current stock.
I'm semi addicted to curry so when I see really good offers I stock up.

Patak's jars used to come in shrink-wrapped trays of 6, and there were loads of flavours, so it was easy to buy 6-packs of all of them.

Then another offer for another make may come up, so I'd buy some of those as well.

Etc.

So when it became time to eat one, I chose whichever I fancied from my stock, resulting in not using them in rotation by date.

I've now only got about 15 jars/tins of the very old ones left, so I am using them up.

But I have no qualms eating outdated food in tins or jars, provided the safety buttons are OK and the tins are not swollen, because everything was sterilised then vacuum packed at the factory.

If I was going to buy something expensive where I need to actually try it to know if itā€™s any good then I would use Q and perhaps EP so it can be returned before 2nd payment due. Fortunately this only happens about once every 18/24 months and Iā€™m fortunate to be able to buy without EP.

I would say EP could soon mount up without people realising just how much they have committed themselves to.
Thatā€™s true. Very tempting

I'm semi addicted to curry so when I see really good offers I stock up.

Patak's jars used to come in shrink-wrapped trays of 6, and there were loads of flavours, so it was easy to buy 6-packs of all of them.

Then another offer for another make may come up, so I'd buy some of those as well.

Etc.

So when it became time to eat one, I chose whichever I fancied from my stock, resulting in not using them in rotation by date.

I've now only got about 15 jars/tins of the very old ones left, so I am using them up.

But I have no qualms eating outdated food in tins or jars, provided the safety buttons are OK and the tins are not swollen, because everything was sterilised then vacuum packed at the factory.
I am surprised that no-one has jumped down my throat (is that the right expression?) about this, because OH always does, so I dare not mention it to her unless I want a nag.

I am surprised that no-one has jumped down my throat (is that the right expression?) about this, because OH always does, so I dare not mention it to her unless I want a nag.
I am somewhat the same, although my jars and tins are not quite so vintage šŸ˜‹

We never had all these date stamps years ago, and employed our common sense and our faculties like sight and smell.

One of the reasons for so much food wastage is our loss of confidence in employing our senses.

I think Iā€™m far too picky about BB dates in comparison to you but whilst I would never eat meat past BB date if itā€™s a non meat product and it smells ok Iā€™ll go ahead.

I have a box of coconut rafello sweets in the cupboard for god knows how many years maybe this weekend Iā€™ll take the plunge and see if they are useable, they are individually wrapped in an unopened box so might be ok! However if they taste stale Iā€™ll put them in the bin.

A lot of people don't realise that once you open a jar or bottle, the label says "once opened, store in refrigerator and use in xx weeks".

This is the makers trying to safeguard themselves, as it now applies to almost everything that was "in the old days" a method of preserving food.

So it applies to bottles of sauce/ketchup, marmalade, pickles, and loads of other things that should be perfectly OK as they are already "preserves".

I usually do store in fridge once opened, but ignore the "use within" time otherwise I would be living off ketchup and brown sauce just to use it up in time.

Can I do a straw poll?

OH didn't know there was a safety button on the lids of food jars, because she'd never noticed and read the tiny print on the lid. This is usually printed in a circle around the button, and many people would need a magnifying glass to read it.

So (just a yes or no will do) did you know about the safety button?

Here's a use by date to get you thinking - - -

Cartoon milk 30th Feb 150886351_37638953.jpg

Can I do a straw poll?

OH didn't know there was a safety button on the lids of food jars, because she'd never noticed and read the tiny print on the lid. This is usually printed in a circle around the button, and many people would need a magnifying glass to read it.

Yep, and I use it to check.

Can I do a straw poll?

Yes if not depressed the product could/would be dangerous to eat,same with " blown "tins.

Latest posts

Back