Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cats for me too. We didnā€™t have pets as a child so Iā€™m nervous around dogs especially big or yappy ones but just love a catā€™s attitude even though we havenā€™t had one for quite some time.

i just love the adverts with the kittens (whiskers?) with the light/hairbrush/tap. But the one I never tire of is the rain on the windows the song and then the ā€œ just stop itā€ at the end. Reminds me of my lack of patience.

Is everyone perfectly clear on what weā€™re allowed to do today? I thought so. Here, for the benefit of the terminally confused, is an updated list of Corona Cans and Canā€™ts. You...

CAN have your hair cut ā€“ but only by the dog groomer. Although not in Wales or Scotland.

CANā€™T join a gathering of more than six ā€“ unless you are hellbent on overthrowing capitalism in which case you can meet thousands of people in Hyde Park and chuck things at the police.

CAN go to work if the R rate is between 0.6 and 0.9 - unless you are too busy shopping. But not in Wales where you can only travel five miles and the shops are shut.

CANā€™T see your grandchildren if you are married and they live in another household.

CAN see your grandchildren if you are a single-person household. Itā€™s surprisingly easy to throw out your husband/wife of 40 years. They may, at first, put up a bit of a struggle, but tell them youā€™re only following government guidelines and they should settle down.

CANā€™T go to school if youā€™re a bored, depressed teenager ā€“ but you can attend a rave in the countryside and inhale nitrous oxide, leaving behind hundreds of used capsules which Allisonā€™s puppy, Bingo, will lick enthusiastically and then attempt sexual intercourse. With himself.

CAN join a long queue for Primark but you may have to wait longer for cancer treatment. First things first!

CANā€™T travel on public transport without wearing a mask, even if your glasses steam up and you miss your stop. Masks should not be worn in Wales. The minute you cross the River Severn, you can rip off your face-covering and cough as much as you like. But only in Welsh.

CAN board a packed flight from Luton to Larnaca, but if you want to go to church you must pray alone.

CANā€™T sing hymns for this is very dangerous. Unless you are at a rally with several thousand other people when you can sing what the hell you like as long as itā€™s really rude.

CAN travel to a beach or beauty spot but DO NOT attempt to go to the loo.

CANā€™T take your GCSEs or A levels or go to a theatre but you can visit a zoo. Although not in Scotland.

CAN open your non-essential shop so long as you put in place ugly and alienating Covid-secure measures which make your business totally unviable. As you tell members of staff that you have to let them go, be sure to maintain two metres social distancing. No comforting hand on the shoulder! Gentle weeping by the newly-unemployed person is permitted, but anyone who threatens to become hysterical should wear a mask.

CANā€™T attend the university you have a place at. There are plans to get universities up and running by the autumn of 2021, but ONLY if lecturers have got to the front of the queue in Bicester Village and paid for their Mulberry tote bag. And itā€™s 100pc safe. In the university, that is, not the shops. Although not in Wales or Scotland where it will never be safe again.

CAN have a summer wedding. Maybe. The Government has been ā€œexamining how to enable people to gather in slightly larger groups to better facilitate small weddingsā€ since the 11th of May. And they will be letting us know very soon if you can have a summer wedding, possibly as early as November.

CANā€™T kiss the bride. The best man will pass the ring to the groom on a pole measuring no less than 6.56168 feet.

CAN have Botox, but you are still forbidden to attend a graduation ceremony or your uncleā€™s funeral.

CANā€™T go on holiday abroad to a country which has returned to normal after overcoming Covid without entering a strict quarantine for 14 days on your return in case you import the virus from the country that doesnā€™t have it. A vast army of highly-trained Home Office quarantine enforcers ā€“ Hayley and Saj in Scunthorpe ā€“ will phone one in five returning British holidaymakers and ask, ā€œAre you observing the quarantine rules?ā€ You will reply, ā€œYes, indeed, I am!ā€ even if you have left your household to enjoy afternoon carnal relations with a member of the SAGE committee who is ā€œkeeping the science under reviewā€.

CAN work if you can but do NOT send your children to school. Lock the little darlings in a cupboard under the stairs with a bumper pack of Wotsits and a flashlight. Tell them not to worry, they can expect a Number 10 Review of their situation very soon.
That perfectly illustrates the mixed and muddled messages we, the confused UK public are trying to interpret. Most of it means defying logic and common sense.
Typical British muddling through, imo.

Nicola won't let us do anything. No schools, no haircuts, no shops, no pubs until at least mid July if not longer. Mr CC and I are planning a booze cruise to Berwick upon Tweed at the weekend šŸ»šŸŗšŸ„‚šŸ·šŸ„ƒšŸøšŸ¹šŸ¾
I thought you werenā€™t allowed to travel over 5 miles. That doesnā€™t give ypu a lot of options. At least the zoos can open in a couple of weeks so I might be able to see my beloved šŸ¼at some point.

I thought you werenā€™t allowed to travel over 5 miles. That doesnā€™t give ypu a lot of options. At least the zoos can open in a couple of weeks so I might be able to see my beloved šŸ¼at some point.
I think you can travel as far as you like. About three weeks ago we encountered a young couple at a social distance who had travelled from Merseyside to Cumbria for a walk.

Nicola won't let us do anything. No schools, no haircuts, no shops, no pubs until at least mid July if not longer. Mr CC and I are planning a booze cruise to Berwick upon Tweed at the weekend šŸ»šŸŗšŸ„‚šŸ·šŸ„ƒšŸø

šŸ¹šŸ¾

You can only travel 5 miles for leisure purposes.
Seeing family you can travel further than that.
Shops will be 29th June.

Here hairdressers from 6 July - I wonder how difficult it will be to get an appointment and how much their prices will rise?

My hairdresser is the only person who can tame my hair but she is anything but pleasant or accommodating so god knows when Iā€™ll get the chop.

You can only travel 5 miles for leisure purposes.
Seeing family you can travel further than that.
Shops will be 29th June.
In England there are no restrictions on how far you can travel for exercise etc. as long as you return home on the same day. You cannot go away and stay over night.

That perfectly illustrates the mixed and muddled messages we, the confused UK public are trying to interpret. Most of it means defying logic and common sense.
Typical British muddling through, imo.

When they start with the doā€™s & donā€™ts I switch off because in my position I only have to stay at home or social distance when I go shopping ,that simple.I feel for those who say ā€˜ can I?ā€™ not sure who they can mix with & in what circumstances.Then we see crowds demonstrating ā€˜ virus, what virusā€™?

In England there are no restrictions on how far you can travel for exercise etc. as long as you return home on the same day. You cannot go away and stay over night.

In England, if you live alone, or are a single parent with children under 18, you can now stay overnight in another household if they are in your chosen social bubble and, in that instance, you donā€™t have to observe social distancing. You can only have one social bubble like this.

I live alone, have chosen who will be in my social bubble and so will be staying there overnight.

Apart from this change to my circumstances, I will continue to observe the 2 metre rule (Iā€™ll probably still do this if they reduce it to 1 metre because the numbers arenā€™t low enough yet imo) and I only go out for food and essentials.

Personally, it would make it a lot easier if the whole of the U.K. was doing the same thing. Weā€™re meant to be UNITED.

United - only when it suits each of them, but it would make a lot more sense.

The lessening of restrictions have been rushed through because they are scared they wonā€™t keep their cushy pigs to the trough jobs. Bugger if it kills us all - after all itā€™s only old people and they cost the country too much in care etc - I wouldnā€™t trust one of them as far as I could throw them so Iā€™ll be keeping my own restrictions as much as possible for the rest of the year.

The 5 miles thing is guidance only, it's not compulsory. However, we haven't been behaving irresponsibly and I've only been out the house to walk the dog and go to work for months. A couple of weeks ago we did go to the beach with the dog but there were few folk there and distancing was easy. The booze cruise thing was a bit tongue in cheek anyway. I'll probably get a bottle of wine from the village shop instead :rolleyes:

Here hairdressers from 6 July - I wonder how difficult it will be to get an appointment and how much their prices will rise?

My hairdresser is the only person who can tame my hair but she is anything but pleasant or accommodating so god knows when Iā€™ll get the chop.

I used the clippers on my hair with the hope that I can give it another few weeks after the hairdresser opens and actually get an appointment. I am betting the phones at salon's will be red hot with people phoning trying to get appointments.

Iā€™m going to text her today asking her when she is going to start taking appointments as if I wait until she is open Iā€™ll be another 6 weeks in the queue.

It ainā€™t over yet.

Indeed it is not, this has a long way to go yet.

In England, if you live alone, or are a single parent with children under 18, you can now stay overnight in another household if they are in your chosen social bubble and, in that instance, you donā€™t have to observe social distancing. You can only have one social bubble like this.

I live alone, have chosen who will be in my social bubble and so will be staying there overnight.

Apart from this change to my circumstances, I will continue to observe the 2 metre rule (Iā€™ll probably still do this if they reduce it to 1 metre because the numbers arenā€™t low enough yet imo) and I only go out for food and essentials.

Personally, it would make it a lot easier if the whole of the U.K. was doing the same thing. Weā€™re meant to be UNITED.

Yes it would be easier if they were all doing the same thing but Westminster's decisions have been deemed too fast and too much at once for the devolved governments. You just need to look at the splits of the new cases each day to see that Westminster has done too much too soon.

Latest posts

Back