Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If you can get past the receptionist doctors are doing over the phone consultations. My 85-year-old aunt had one mid-week. The doctor thought it might be arthritis and told her to take paracetamol.

Hope your ribs heal quickly LATI

Well folks I’ve had quite a week.

on Monday I fell and hurt my ribs. It hurt like hell but took a couple of tablets and went to work. Mon, Tues, wed all the same uncomfortable but manageable. However whatever way I tried to get up from the sofa last night it turned into one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced.

phoned GP this morning (they have X-ray facilities) but reception gave me the brush off saying doctors are seeing no one for the past 12 weeks nor for the foreseeable future (someone tell me WTF they are doing whilst earning over 100k per year) so off to hospital we went as worried if broken ribs and punctured lung.

Arrived at A&E but as it was a little difficult when breathing was directed to C19 emergency department (our hospital is one of the main hospitals for this). Given face mask on arrival .Whilst there I had all the C19 tests, heart monitoring tests, blood tests and x ray. All tests done very quickly but a couple of hours waiting for results. Medical staff wonderful however I can’t be quite as complimentary about reception staff.

2 problems. The place had loads of immigrant workers who had been sent for testing by employers (food production factories) because they coughed. No English so lots of shouting and google translation as a last resport. They spent most of the time wandering around various test areas (no effort to stop them) with masks off, or on the wrong way, at the toilet and on their mobiles non stop.

the second was that I had to endure hours of Holly and Phil and then the gobby loose women!

Good news just cracked ribs which should heal in a few weeks and keep taking painkillers.
At the risk of death by stoning here, I wish the migrant workers would get with the program/practice English etc. Surely there are lots of classes & integration 'things'? I've often toyed with migrating but have not, because I don't have enough 'points'/cash/money to pay for health care & cannot speak the language.
And before someone gets cross....Blissy has done a lot of charity work at the coalface (over Xmas) (& been inappropriately touched for her trouble) Many were migrants. She made no fuss & told him to stop, which he did, & then carried on her work.

Good grief LATI you`ve been through the mill and I hope the ribs soon heal and the pain eases quickly.
I recall my Dad telling me he had broken ribs when he was trampled by a horse in Canada. No Doctor or hospital nearby (it was the 1920`s) so the farmer`s wife taped his ribcage with yards and yards of tape until it felt like a straight jacket. Several weeks later when it was time to remove the tape she ripped it off but ripped off lots of his skin and all of his body hair with it.
Thankfully your treatment is painful but far more humane and I wish you well.
Your Dad must have been rock hard, or the horses tiny. That must have been awful, something must have spooked them. Strangely the tape probably wasn't a bad idea. I understand that the best hospitals can do is offer a corset thing.
The jockeys at my racing stables would tape ribs & do all sorts to get their next ride when injured. Out of the saddle=no money.

Your Dad must have been rock hard, or the horses tiny. That must have been awful, something must have spooked them. Strangely the tape probably wasn't a bad idea. I understand that the best hospitals can do is offer a corset thing.
The jockeys at my racing stables would tape ribs & do all sorts to get their next ride when injured. Out of the saddle=no money.
He was rock hard SB because he had to be. The years he spent on that farm between the age of 12 to 18 were cruel, isolated and back in the 1920`s working on a farm was tantamount to slave labour. They used horses for everything and had no mechanical machinery or vehicles. He got his board and keep, 2 new pairs of overalls per year, one new pair of boots and he slept in the hayloft. The farmer regularly beat him and the farmer`s wife and children treated him like sh^t and in recent years Barnados have issued statements apologising to survivors from them sending children from UK orphanages in the 1920`s and beyond to Australia, Canada and the USA where many of them were abused and ill treated because Barnados dumped them then forgot about them. Sadly my Dad didn`t live to see this.

He was rock hard SB because he had to be. The years he spent on that farm between the age of 12 to 18 were cruel, isolated and back in the 1920`s working on a farm was tantamount to slave labour. They used horses for everything and had no mechanical machinery or vehicles. He got his board and keep, 2 new pairs of overalls per year, one new pair of boots and he slept in the hayloft. The farmer regularly beat him and the farmer`s wife and children treated him like sh^t and in recent years Barnados have issued statements apologising to survivors from them sending children from UK orphanages in the 1920`s and beyond to Australia, Canada and the USA where many of them were abused and ill treated because Barnados dumped them then forgot about them. Sadly my Dad didn`t live to see this.

If only he could have given that farmer a slap when he was a bit bigger.....

Oh lati know how you are feeling. A couple of years ago I thought it would be a good idea to do a scissor kick. Wrong, I ended up with both feet off the floor,went up in the air and landed on my right side on the corner of a wooden table. I lay there unable to breathe and hubby asked me if I was laughing or crying. After ten minutes I was able to move and he got me off the floor onto the settee. Once he knew I hadn't broken any ribs,I was able to touch them without too much pain,he proceeded to examine the table. I knew he was only kidding, it took nearly a week for the pain to go and I sometimes get the odd twinge. You'd think at 70 I should have had more sense. I an laugh about it now. Hope you soon feel better.

God, there are some nutters on this site! :D:D:D

I’m ashamed to say that I fell of a ****** treadmill face down.

this was purchased a couple of years ago and not used. Mr L is suffering badly with pains in his leg which have become unbearable during lockdown, again no doctor just a prescription for painkillers left at chemist. Anyway he finds if he uses the treadmill off and on it helps as it’s the standing which is most painful. I thought I would get in the act too and have been using it fine up until I seemed to slip and voila!

So we are like 2 crocks, he’s limping and I’m carrying my boob under my arm.

Thanks for all your good wishes (should have been on holiday so maybe lockdown was a sign).

I’m ashamed to say that I fell of a ****** treadmill face down.

this was purchased a couple of years ago and not used. Mr L is suffering badly with pains in his leg which have become unbearable during lockdown, again no doctor just a prescription for painkillers left at chemist. Anyway he finds if he uses the treadmill off and on it helps as it’s the standing which is most painful. I thought I would get in the act too and have been using it fine up until I seemed to slip and voila!

So we are like 2 crocks, he’s limping and I’m carrying my boob under my arm.

Thanks for all your good wishes (should have been on holiday so maybe lockdown was a sign).
=-O

Your story reminds me of my mum's. She went "in service" as a young teen. She didn't like to tell me everything but I pushed a lot out of her and it included being up at 4:30am to start the fires (after black-leading the grates) and get breakfasts ready as well as all the cleaning and kitchen duties like food prep and washing up.

The owners decided to use their spare rooms as a B&B after their children left so my mum was looking after the guests, too, and being at everyone's beck and call until the last person went to bed. Add to that men who think they had the right to touch her wherever, whenever. She considered herself very lucky not to have been raped like the other maid. That poor girl was raped, got pregnant and then kicked out. No one knew what became of her. My mum got one Sunday off every four weeks and considered herself lucky that the owners also employed another girl to do the laundry.

Times have mostly changed for the best, but unfortunately, not completely.

On a day trip to Glasow with a friend, I decided to run to get to the coach and get us good seats. She wandered slowly along. I well face down on the tarmac and was picked up by two pensioners who asked if I had been drinking? The friend was wetting herself laughing at this. It was 9.30 am in the morning! I had a dirty mark on my pale coloured top and had to walk around Glasgow with this large dirty mark on the front of my top.

There used to be deals of Belfast to Glasgow via ferry and coach return for £5. So we used to do the trip quite a lot

On a day trip to Glasow with a friend, I decided to run to get to the coach and get us good seats. She wandered slowly along. I well face down on the tarmac and was picked up by two pensioners who asked if I had been drinking? The friend was wetting herself laughing at this. It was 9.30 am in the morning! I had a dirty mark on my pale coloured top and had to walk around Glasgow with this large dirty mark on the front of my top.

There used to be deals of Belfast to Glasgow via ferry and coach return for £5. So we used to do the trip quite a lot
Drinking at 9.30am in Glasgow??? :LOL::LOL: I have to say I have done that many a time when on an "awayday" from Edinburgh with a gang of mates. Distant past though, but fun 🍷🍷🍷

One time in Blackpool when people were actually allowed to ride donkeys the one I was on ran into the sea and hoofed me off. I had to walk round Blackpool looking like I'd pee'd myself with a big wet stain down the front of my jeans. Dirty marks on your top? Easy :D

CC

Your story reminds me of my mum's. She went "in service" as a young teen. She didn't like to tell me everything but I pushed a lot out of her and it included being up at 4:30am to start the fires (after black-leading the grates) and get breakfasts ready as well as all the cleaning and kitchen duties like food prep and washing up.

The owners decided to use their spare rooms as a B&B after their children left so my mum was looking after the guests, too, and being at everyone's beck and call until the last person went to bed. Add to that men who think they had the right to touch her wherever, whenever. She considered herself very lucky not to have been raped like the other maid. That poor girl was raped, got pregnant and then kicked out. No one knew what became of her. My mum got one Sunday off every four weeks and considered herself lucky that the owners also employed another girl to do the laundry.

Times have mostly changed for the best, but unfortunately, not completely.

Is blackleading a self explanatory term? Sounds like a really pointless task!

My granny's sister had to blacklead her grate and it was big cast iron old fashioned one.

Also, they both did the brasses each week with Brasso.

My granny had an empty WWI brass shell and used it for the pokers, it was welded to a base by my grandfather she cleaned it every week with Brasso. I have it now and no I do not clean it.

Drinking at 9.30am in Glasgow??? :LOL::LOL: I have to say I have done that many a time when on an "awayday" from Edinburgh with a gang of mates. Distant past though, but fun 🍷🍷🍷

One time in Blackpool when people were actually allowed to ride donkeys the one I was on ran into the sea and hoofed me off. I had to walk round Blackpool looking like I'd pee'd myself with a big wet stain down the front of my jeans. Dirty marks on your top? Easy :D

CC

Are you sure you didn't actually pee yourself, Candy? I bet you did!

My granny's sister had to blacklead her grate and it was big cast iron old fashioned one.

Also, they both did the brasses each week with Brasso.

My granny had an empty WWI brass shell and used it for the pokers, it was welded to a base by my grandfather she cleaned it every week with Brasso. I have it now and no I do not clean it.

I'm feeling like a domestic troll now (in the sense of the opposite to goddess)

We don't use our open fire, but it has old ash & stuff in it. Should I be cleaning it all out & blacking? Won't that make more mess so that I'll have to dust?

About 20 years ago a young newly married couple lived across from us. He was only interested in working with car motors. She worked in a local bank and every bliddy morning at 7 before work she brassoed the door furniture and swept the driveway all in her work uniform.

Even 20 years ago that was old hat but they were the sort that were 50 years older than they actually were. Apart from church they never went out together so I never really knew what they saw in each other.

Are you sure you didn't actually pee yourself, Candy? I bet you did!
I absolutely did not and I wasn't drunk in charge of a donkey either :p. I still go and see the donkeys when I'm down that way and although I can't ride on them now (too heavy), I still pay the money so I can get my photo taken with Star and Daisy 🦄🦄 (no donkeys).

CC

Cartoon condensation 103986884_1768140.jpg

I absolutely did not and I wasn't drunk in charge of a donkey either :p. I still go and see the donkeys when I'm down that way and although I can't ride on them now (too heavy), I still pay the money so I can get my photo taken with Star and Daisy 🦄🦄 (no donkeys).

CC

sounds like you made an ass of yourself that day 😂🙄

Latest posts

Back