Ultrasun instructions 'reapply frequently to maintain protection' what!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thick layer and 30 minutes?

Hi :hi:,

The Ultrasun lady stressed the point that you have to put a thick layer of the product on, which sinks in and then protects you all day. You have to avoid the sun for 15 minutes according to the presenter and 30 minutes according to the leaflet, so I will leave it the 30 minutes. A few of the reviews on QVC say the product is fantastic and a few say it doesn't work - I think the key may be to ensure you give good coverage on application or it stops it working properly. Having purchased it, we will give it a go on holiday and let you know how we get on with it when I get back

:wait2::wait2::wait2:

I think I remember the Ultrasun lady say that re-labelling was to do with EU law, therefore, perhaps they had to remove the once daily tag-line associated with it ? However, I know that Soltan have their 'once' range labelled with the 'once' wording with a note to say up to 6 hours of protection on the bottle too. Not sure why Ultrasun couldn't do this :confused:

I do still love mine, but I just hope that it really does give the longer protection !! :)

I remember a doctor on tv saying never apply enough suncream to start with.

You need a tablespoon worth on each arm, to give you an idea. So the take one bottle on holiday is way off.

My husband and I both tried the Ultrasun once a day gel (SPF 30) on the same day, I got totally roasted whereas he was absolutely fine! I'm definitely fairer than him but still, I was so hacked off! I find it very hard to find a decent suncreen than doesn't break me out. The only one i can use at the moment is the Banana Boat Powder Dri which needs re-application.

PS I tried using the Ultrasun again but this time re-applied twice more during the day and STILL got roasted. Once again husband was fine with just one application. *******....!! :tongue2:

Tx

I think you need the Ultrasun SPF 20 Sport if you want to apply only once a day. We've just got back from holiday and all used the Riemann P20. Worked a treat and nobody got burnt, but it does stain white clothes a bit and the lady said that the Ultrasun doesn't and gives better UVA protection, so sounds a lot better to me.

We bought the 2 x 500ml bottle of Ultrasun from QVC. We took one bottle away to Ibiza with us. The bottle had a pump dispenser and was really thick to use at first. (The liquid would have been coming from the bottom of the bottle). With hindsight we should have shook the bottle or stirred it. I was really thick to put on and tood ages to dry. We probably used too much of it at the beginning of the holiday. Towards the end of the two week it was much thinner and dried very quickly. I will be decanting it into small bottle on the next holiday. I did work though I never go burnt. However you have to be sensible and sitting out all day is silly. I've overdone it before and ended up with heat strock. I always make sure my back in well covered. The thing is if you ever miss a bit your not reapplying so you will know if you get burnt on that bit. I cann't recommend it highly enough. You go a lovely even colour with no sore red areas to keep you awake at night. I don't get prickly heat anymore using Ultrasun. It's well worth the money. It never stains my clothes either and isn't sticky when applied properly. You need to have a shower before putting it on in the morning as it needs to be applied to clean oil free skin (and to remove the aftersun applied the night before).
well i've used this product now for over 5 years in cyprus with temps 40plus and only applied it once aday with no problems i am dark haired but have skin that burns easily, and also used to suffer dreadfully with prickly heat but have never had the problem since discovering ultrasun, and ive used it prior to qvc "discovering it" personally i cant recomend it highly enough
ditto
http://www.ultrasun.co.uk/products.html

Not all of their products are "once a day" - the rest are "high protection" (or similar). I've made this mistake myself and picked up the wrong bottle from the shop shelf. It's still good stuff tho.

I've used P20 and Parasol and imvho I think the Parasol is the best of the three.

jude x

Where do you buy this product from? I've never seen it before.

Hi :wave2:,
I have used P20 before and it works very well, but after a few days, my skin becomes dry and itchy, so I can't use it every day on holiday. I also had the staining cotton clothing problem.

I will try my Ultrasun on holiday at the end of the month and report on the forum when I get back. I avoid spending a long time in full sun in the middle of the day anyway - I am usually the one under a sunshade reading a book...
with a long cool drink at my side!

:cool2::cool2::cool2:

I've used P20 and hated it for the itchy skin and the clothing staining problems.

I remember a doctor on tv saying never apply enough suncream to start with.

You need a tablespoon worth on each arm, to give you an idea. So the take one bottle on holiday is way off.[/QUOTE]
I'm like you, I spend a lot of time under the shade reading.
I think the most important thing you take on holiday is your suntan lotion. I can't bear to see the burn shoulders and chests etc of people who haven't used enough suntan lotion or not applied it thickly enough.

I have been using the ultrasun 30 for face the last couple of months and think it is great, I apply it every morning to clean dry skin, massaging it into the face and I havent burnt once and I am very fair with freckles and sweat a lot :blush: especially in the summer.

My DD also uses it everyday which means she is safe to go out at lunchtime at school and also for PE etc

I would never be without this and would recommend it to anyone as it saves you worrying about re-applying throughout the day

I think I remember the Ultrasun lady say that re-labelling was to do with EU law, therefore, perhaps they had to remove the once daily tag-line associated with it ? However, I know that Soltan have their 'once' range labelled with the 'once' wording with a note to say up to 6 hours of protection on the bottle too. Not sure why Ultrasun couldn't do this :confused:

I do still love mine, but I just hope that it really does give the longer protection !! :)

This is the reason I was given. Ultrasun say their formulation hasn't changed, and the product is still a true once a day application, but they are now prohibited (by new EU regs) from labelling it as such. HTH

I have the SPF20 and it is once a day application. OK in the UK but I burned in Spain. I bought the one for the face from John Lewis and was amazed to read in the instructions that not only did it have to be reapplied but that you have to use 1 teaspoon to get the SPF30 anyway.

There is 50ml in the bottle and in my kitchen 1 teaspoon is 5ml. So I paid £18 for 10 days use at most.

No prizes - I'm not buying this again.

Summer holidays usually spent walking in the high alps where it feels cool but the sun is really strong. It is so easy to get badly sunburned. I used Ultrasun factor 30 last year and got a bit pink - husband has even fairer skin than me but he was ok. This year we used the factor 50 even on faces as well and we were both ok. We came home looking helthy but by no means tanned.
We used it in the morning before breakfast and we did use a lot. I'd definately use it again.

Where do you buy this product from? I've never seen it before.

Worrier,
I found Parasol on Amazon last night, it seems to be the cheapest & they do a SPF25 for children which states it reduces sun induced allergies, so I'm going to try that one & see if I can avoid prickly heat. Just waiting for my credit card to be billed so it will go on next months bill!!:blush:

Worrier,
I found Parasol on Amazon last night, it seems to be the cheapest & they do a SPF25 for children which states it reduces sun induced allergies, so I'm going to try that one & see if I can avoid prickly heat. Just waiting for my credit card to be billed so it will go on next months bill!!:blush:

I certainly wouldn't be without it and use it for a good 9 months of the year. I get prickly heat sometimes, despite my best efforts, as PH is caused by becoming over-heated, not necessarily by being in the sun and often manifests itself in places that don't see sunlight, like my stomach and under the breasts. Parasol won't stop you getting PH if you get too hot - nothing will. There are certain sun-induced allergies it does seem to help though. One of my grandchildren has psoriasis and other skin issues and it suits her.

It might be as well for you to include a MAGICOOL PLUS spray in your luggage as it really helps the itching and burning of PH if you are unfortunate enough to get it. Hope this helps...:flower:

I bought a bottle of the face Ultrasun and this is about the 2nd year it has lasted, I was looking at the QVC website yesterday to get some more before I go on holiday. I've only ever used it once a day and it has been fine not got burnt at all and I have very fair skin; through the summer I have been applying it even if the weather has not looked great just incase the sun does come out! I would how ever probably re-apply during the evening if out and about.

I did notice one interesting review where someone had a reaction and stated Alison had advised putting the cream on before moisturisers etc; I have never done this! I have always applied it after but before make-up and I won't change because it has been working so well.

Well I'm a fan. I have used the Sports 20 formula for myself and children for hot carribean holidays and swam and snorkelled lots.

We all put on a good coating everywhere before getting dressed for breakfast. I then consider it as my waterproof/sweatproof undercoat though and use a standard SPF 30 clear spray throughout the day as needed on vulnerable areas such as shoulders and chest because I take good care of my skin.

None of us have ever burned once with the exception of my older son who missed his feet one day :)

Bond with the skin?

I bought a bottle of the face Ultrasun and this is about the 2nd year it has lasted, I was looking at the QVC website yesterday to get some more before I go on holiday. I've only ever used it once a day and it has been fine not got burnt at all and I have very fair skin; through the summer I have been applying it even if the weather has not looked great just incase the sun does come out! I would how ever probably re-apply during the evening if out and about.

I did notice one interesting review where someone had a reaction and stated Alison had advised putting the cream on before moisturisers etc; I have never done this! I have always applied it after but before make-up and I won't change because it has been working so well.

Hi ,
The presenter the other day said to apply to clean dry skin, so the product can bond with the skin - thats how it lasts all day. If you put anything underneath it, the bonding process can't happen and so the product doesn't work properly. P20 works the same way.

:thinking2::thinking2::thinking2:

Well I'm a fan. I have used the Sports 20 formula for myself and children for hot carribean holidays and swam and snorkelled lots.

We all put on a good coating everywhere before getting dressed for breakfast. I then consider it as my waterproof/sweatproof undercoat though and use a standard SPF 30 clear spray throughout the day as needed on vulnerable areas such as shoulders and chest because I take good care of my skin.

None of us have ever burned once with the exception of my older son who missed his feet one day :)

Oh I meant to mention that after applying the ultrasun sports 20 I always cover the top and soles of my feet.

Hi ,
The presenter the other day said to apply to clean dry skin, so the product can bond with the skin - thats how it lasts all day. If you put anything underneath it, the bonding process can't happen and so the product doesn't work properly. P20 works the same way.

Well I must be waiting the right amount of time for the moisturiser to dry; I've never got burnt or even slightly tanned while using it and with my skin normally I only have to be in the sun for 10 minutes and I would have a nose like a beacon by the end of the day!

me too

Well I must be waiting the right amount of time for the moisturiser to dry; I've never got burnt or even slightly tanned while using it and with my skin normally I only have to be in the sun for 10 minutes and I would have a nose like a beacon by the end of the day!

Hi :hi:,
I have that kind of skin too - every other member of my family has skin that tans easily and quickly and good eyesight, except for me and my elder grand-daughter - poor kid got my skin and poor eyesight.....she got a raw deal!
Funny thing, genes!

Latest posts

Back