Why watch QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

it's funny, and i like taking the piss out of it.

simples.

I's the "quiet desperation" as the presenters (sales assistants) do their utmost to big up and sell any old tat they have in stock. It's also wondering how anyone would be seen dead wearing half the "fashion".

I disagree with their stating it's like a department store: it's more a market stall where the trader's screaming out the supposed merits of the stock and trying to drum up trade.

The downside is when people call in - I do wonder if some (speaking conservatively) are chronically lonely or have some kind of mental issues, or both. I think at times (IMO) that QVC takes advantage of such people.

But then they ARE a business and not a social service after all.

Please keep watching QVC Cavegirl & making your comments, we love your posts! Thanks for the many laughs!!

Last edited:
Its the easy pays what does it...........

I'd rather browse the website than watch QVC on telly, unless there there are some products I'm really interested in
and they're a 'must see live' item! However some spur of the moment viewings have netted me a couple of tasty purchases including the very pretty little netbook I'm using right now. :smirk:

Not really into the presenter debate, I take 'em as I see 'em....:happy:.....but do agree that the p&p charges are too high, particularly for 2nd class postal items......
lemonlimeshell.gif

Its that one moment of inadvertent humour is what we really watch it for.

I love it! I love the demo's and finding out what a product can do (in the case of technology). I've bought some truly lovely stuff (Honora pearls and had some beautiful pearl earrings as a present from my Mum). I like to watch the make up to see the looks created although I know the models have much nicer skin than I do. It's at it's best when you see or hear something truly funny :) I like most of the presenters and JR used to be one of my favs, (especially with Simon Wilson - I saw her once absolutely poured into one of his kitten t-shirts and he looked at her bust and said that looks like a very scary cat! cos it was soooo stretched)..
I have it on most of the time when I'm knitting, I'm not housebound and have the ability to google and find better deals if they exist. I've had no problems with delivery but P&P are a bit high.

I also like a good moan so this is a fab place to do it!

Looking around the boards there are an awful lot of people who seem to really not like QVC, be it the presenters and thier annoying habits, the P&P costs, the "fashion" etc. all regularly get a slating on here so why do you watch QVC?

I'm not having a go at anyone, most of the presenters do have annoying habits the P&P charges are high and lots of the fashion is not what I would have in my wardrobe. But some people seem to get so annoyed at it all that I dont understand why they keep on watching, if there is a show on that I know I would never in a month of Sundays buy from (quacker factory, kirks folly, Kim & co spring to mind ) then I just switch over or off altogether, if a presenter guest or regular is annoying then I turn it off or over there is nothing on there I am that desperate to buy to inflict some of them on myself.

I watch programmes that I think I might want something from but not the others and so dont find it as blood pressure raising as some seem to. Life is too short to let shopping telly get to me so I just dont inflict the really annoying ones on myself

Like I said I am not having a dig at anyone everyone is eintitled to thier opinions but it really does puzzle me why some still watch it when they find it so annoying.

So what is about QVC or any other shopping channel that makes you watch it and do the things that you enjoy about QVC outweigh the things that really wind you up

Absolutely agree!! So glad it wasn't me saying it this time!! Nice one! :sun:

I do kinda get the impression that some people watch it just to pick on the tiny mistakes, clothes the presenters are wearing/not wearing, their make-up, hair style etc so that they can come on here and moan about it!!

I also find some of the comments about people like Julia Roberts, really cruel and unnecessary, maybe they're made out of envy as I think she looks pretty good for a women in her 50's, I also find it's quite nice for someone on TV to speak their mind (like she does) instead of being so politically correct. For people that dislike her so much they seem to know an awful lot about her.

My own personal reasons for watching QVC are the ocassional TSV bargains, being able to try something for a month before committing, which is really handy with things like makeup and the other reason is I channel flick to QVC when the ads are on another channel. I don't particularly want to listen to the spiel the presenters or guests come out with as generally a picture speaks a thousand words and if it's something that I'm interested in buying and they haven't given me the info I want, then a quick search on the net is usually enough. If there's someone or something that I don't like I simply don't watch!

I do kinda get the impression that some people watch it just to pick on the tiny mistakes, clothes the presenters are wearing/not wearing, their make-up, hair style etc so that they can come on here and moan about it!!

I also find some of the comments about people like Julia Roberts, really cruel and unnecessary, maybe they're made out of envy as I think she looks pretty good for a women in her 50's, I also find it's quite nice for someone on TV to speak their mind (like she does) instead of being so politically correct. For people that dislike her so much they seem to know an awful lot about her.

My own personal reasons for watching QVC are the ocassional TSV bargains, being able to try something for a month before committing, which is really handy with things like makeup and the other reason is I channel flick to QVC when the ads are on another channel. I don't particularly want to listen to the spiel the presenters or guests come out with as generally a picture speaks a thousand words and if it's something that I'm interested in buying and they haven't given me the info I want, then a quick search on the net is usually enough. If there's someone or something that I don't like I simply don't watch!

of course! but its not just a QVC thing. there are huggins of forums and gazillions of threads devoted to all types of TV and radio with people doing exactly the same thing.

we live in a world where we have "media" stuffed in our faces 24/7 and we're in the fortunate position where we can comment on it on forums like this.

its fabulous!

of course! but its not just a QVC thing. there are huggins of forums and gazillions of threads devoted to all types of TV and radio with people doing exactly the same thing.

we live in a world where we have "media" stuffed in our faces 24/7 and we're in the fortunate position where we can comment on it on forums like this.

its fabulous!

Absolutely BUT does it always have to be so negative?

I think QVC is a bit addictive and often I switch it on out of habit rather than being particularly interested in buying anything.
It's a bit like a live version of "Are you being served" with Julia Slocombe Roberts and Claire Brahms Sutton etc!!!
I have had some great buys and some naff buys.
There are some presenters I like..Debbie Flint,Kathy,Dale,Catherine,Julian.
Some I am indifferent to..Craig,Pipa,JR,Jilly,Anne.
Some I don't like..Charlie,Anthony,JF
and a few I really don't like and can't watch too often... AY,Claire and Claudia.

It's not personal, and my opinions are only based on their TV persona,mannerisms and ability to interact with the viewer (me)!
Obviously they may be the nicest of people in real life..but I can't say.
None of the presenters can ever convince me to buy something I don't want,just as a shop assistant in a Dept store cant!

I don't think this Forum is particularly nasty, but some of the presenters set themselves up for criticism and there are some mighty big egos and some very boastful people on QVC who seem to think it's all about them...not just flogging stuff!
This Forum has made me laugh out loud,cringe occasionally and smile a lot...long may it continue!!:wave:

Last edited:
I have a really complex relationship with QVC and am quite honest and admit that.

On one hand,I don't watch/enjoy "normal" television,I like shopping from my living room and enjoy being shown how to use items.I do think some of their items or promotions are good value - and at the end of the day,if I don't like it,or don't agree its good value,I can send it back.My children are teenagers,my hubby a shift worker - I enjoy the company of QVC - its almost a visual radio,that I use to relax at the end of a long day.I have my fav presenters and shows, and shows that don't interest me,I don't tend to watch.

I've never really had a bad experience with QVC - you could say I've had the letter/phonecall,so was that one? but no,not really - its actually helped me to manage my spending better - and understand QVC better.I really thought I really could try everything,no problem - but I now know I can't - I understand that now and thats fine.

On the other hand,I feel my loyalty to QVC is ripped from beneath me.I've been a viewer from day one - but rarely recieve a voucher email or the christmas card.When QVC have sent me wrong or broken items - or items that haven't turned up - I'm made to wait for replacements or refunds until various forms have been filled out,or phonecalls have gone back or forth.My thousands of pounds I've spent with them have never been gratefully recieved, in reduced postage costs.Many other companies like my custom and my money and will tell me so in cheaper postage rates or one postage rate.

Presenters,I try hard to see the good.I know they're told to make the viewers feel part of the family - I see why they talk about their kids/families/holiday/dog.I think at times if I had 15 minutes to fill - I could well do the same.I try hard not to comment on presenters features - I'd like to thinner/browner/straighter,whiter teeth - however this is a QvC forum.At the end of the day,its all we have in common - I think its fair to comment on presenters' style.

I'll take JR as an example - as there are some people on here who feel strongly one way or the other.She's not my fav nor definitely the worst.I think she looks fantastic for her age and gives a good presentation and is easy listening - i can see why QVC would bend over backwards to keep her.she has lost weight - I'd certainly like to be able to do it - and I think she looks great for it.If I'd lost 2 stone,I think I'd bang on about as much as possible.its a massive achievement - particularly at an age where most women easily carry extra weight.I think if I had a high postion I'd use it to my advantage as much as possible - I'd want to choose all my slots and times and I'd certainly want to help my kids - who wouldn't in this tough old day and age? JR has worked hard all her life - shes a grafter and her villa is the fruits of her labour - good luck to her.I actually don't mind her shoes - I can see their like her slippers!

On the other hand,I think anyone - even those who are true fans - have to admit that sometimes her manner is very off.It can't be passed off as humour - because its not said in jest - its done with real opinion - that most of society manage to keep under their hat.Of course I see people squeezed into too tight clothes - but I don't tell them.Working with children - I come across the most imaginative names - but I don't bat an eyelid.Yes we all may think these things - but JR not only says them - she says them on live TV.I do not find that appropriate - and I think she forgets her place.I've seen her correct american guests because they have different words to items to us - and its done in a cutting way.In being in the public eye,JR (or others)is inviting people to comment - and this is what this forum is about.

I think you have to keep a perspective - both when watching and buying from Qvc and even when you're on here.I've got myself into debt over QVC and have frittered away thousands of pounds when I think over the years what I've spent.I enjoy watching QVC and wouldn't want that option to be taken away from me - but in no way do I think they love me back - but this forum does - after all we all entitled to our opinion ,and here,this is what we have- opinion.And we are allowed to say it.You can take that as lighthearted as its meant - or get you knickers in a twist over whats written here.....and is that worth it?

I agree with a lot of what has already been said.

For me, QVC at times can be therapeutic. When I can't get out, or having friends around is too draining, or I can't concentrate on anything else, I may watch QVC or have it on in the background. That is, unless it's a show that is too dull even for that (gardening, crafts, NN - my opinion I hasten to add). Sometimes I'll put it on anyway if there's a show I particularly want to to see. It may interest me, it may annoy me, it may amuse me. I may even order an item (although not often now).

I don't think that there's anything wrong in having opinions about the presenters or the products they sell; after all that is what is QVC. Thank goodness for this forum where people can voice their opinions and see those of others. I know that t-callers are on there to praise QVC/the presenters/whatever item they've just bought a dozen of (and I also have some reservations about this sometimes) but at least on here people are able to say what they really think.

Probably the powers that be at QVC get to know what is said on here but unfortunately I don't think they're going to worry too much unless the sales figures go down significantly. Anyway, all the time QVC stays as it is, we've got somewhere to let off steam when we want to.

I don't think this Forum is particularly nasty, but some of the presenters set themselves up for criticism and there are some mighty big egos and some very boastful people on QVC who seem to think it's all about them...not just flogging stuff!
This Forum has made me laugh out loud,cringe occasionally and smile a lot...long may it continue!!:wave:

after all we all entitled to our opinion ,and here,this is what we have- opinion.And we are allowed to say it.You can take that as lighthearted as its meant - or get you knickers in a twist over whats written here.....and is that worth it?

I really wasnt having a dig at the forum or anyone who posts on it I dont have a problem with anyone letting of steam, I just had noticed that there were a lot of what I would say were negative threads about different aspects of QVC lately, (many of which annoy me,) more than usual and was just interested in why people kept watching a channel that they found so annoying sorry if anyone felt I was having a dig at either the forum or them.

Lots of interesting answers on why people watch QVC personally I also tend to use it as background noise when I am at home and busy doing something else, I go through phases of buying stuff but can go months and months without being tempted

I really wasnt having a dig at the forum or anyone who posts on it I dont have a problem with anyone letting of steam, I just had noticed that there were a lot of what I would say were negative threads about different aspects of QVC lately, (many of which annoy me,) more than usual and was just interested in why people kept watching a channel that they found so annoying sorry if anyone felt I was having a dig at either the forum or them.

Lots of interesting answers on why people watch QVC personally I also tend to use it as background noise when I am at home and busy doing something else, I go through phases of buying stuff but can go months and months without being tempted

I think there lots of things going on:

1. QVC has been losing ranges that have long been seen as a "staple", such as Molton Brown and Models Prefer/YBF. This has peed off people who like those ranges. People also have the right to question the choices QVC makes regarding the ranges it continues to sell: LE and Dennis Basso spring to mind;
2. People are questioning QVC's pricing etc., when with a bit of nous and legwork they can find the same items for sale either cheaper elsewhere, or similarly priced but with less/free delivery charges;
3. QVC has been pushing itself and its customers as "family", and that customers can apparently try its goods in the comfort in their own homes for up to 30 days before deciding to keep or return them. It's bercome apparent that this is not exactly the case, as many people are finding that QVC don't seem to like customers who return too many items;
4. QVC states that its' presenters give customers the chance to get info on items for sale etc before customers decide to buy. Viewers have been fiding that certain presenters are less able to provide such info (JF, anyone?), relying simply on advising viewers to buy just because they like it/have one/want one.
5. We're coming out of a recession and people in the public sector are in danger of losing jobs and have already had pay freezes. But what do we get when we tune into something for escape (which a lot of people do)? We get these people flaunting their fantastic lives at us. And what does the average person have to do to be part of this, or if they're lonely and easily led? End up in loads of debt thanks to the "nice" people on screen who they talk to every now and again.

So, why do I watch QVC? Entertainment mainly - when I'm bored and there's nothing else on I can be bothered with. I take it for what it is.

But it's important to be able to question things we as viewers and customers don't agree with on any TV programme or channel, not just QVC. This forum's important as it has given people who have had exemplary (and not so exemplary) service from QVC to be able to state it. It has been a godsend for people who may not have the assertiveness to stand up for themselves to receive the help and support they needed to right what have been very nerve-wracking and expensive wrongs.

[/War & Peace] :whew:

I think you have to keep a perspective - both when watching and buying from Qvc and even when you're on here.I've got myself into debt over QVC and have frittered away thousands of pounds when I think over the years what I've spent.I enjoy watching QVC and wouldn't want that option to be taken away from me - but in no way do I think they love me back - but this forum does - after all we all entitled to our opinion ,and here,this is what we have- opinion.And we are allowed to say it.You can take that as lighthearted as its meant - or get you knickers in a twist over whats written here.....and is that worth it?

Great post.

My issue with the JR comments on here are that they just go on and on and on and on and can be very cruel. I think some should think, if the comments they say about her were said about themselves, they'd be really upset. Whatever someone's opinion of someone, whether you think she's arrogant, egotistical whatever she does still have feelings and nobody's perfect. We also know that she and some of the other presenters do read these forums, so she knows what's being said about her. It must hurt. There I go... jumping to her defense again. It would be nice sometimes for people to be a bit more positive, especially inlight of the really important stuff that's going on in the world. Stepping down from my soapbox now.

We all don't like the same things and should feel free to have our say without being jumped on when we don't go along with the general consensus of opinion. There is a difference between airing an opinion and constantly having a go at someone.

I think there lots of things going on:

1. QVC has been losing ranges that have long been seen as a "staple", such as Molton Brown and Models Prefer/YBF. This has peed off people who like those ranges. People also have the right to question the choices QVC makes regarding the ranges it continues to sell: LE and Dennis Basso spring to mind;
2. People are questioning QVC's pricing etc., when with a bit of nous and legwork they can find the same items for sale either cheaper elsewhere, or similarly priced but with less/free delivery charges;
3. QVC has been pushing itself and its customers as "family", and that customers can apparently try its goods in the comfort in their own homes for up to 30 days before deciding to keep or return them. It's bercome apparent that this is not exactly the case, as many people are finding that QVC don't seem to like customers who return too many items;
4. QVC states that its' presenters give customers the chance to get info on items for sale etc before customers decide to buy. Viewers have been fiding that certain presenters are less able to provide such info (JF, anyone?), relying simply on advising viewers to buy just because they like it/have one/want one.
5. We're coming out of a recession and people in the public sector are in danger of losing jobs and have already had pay freezes. But what do we get when we tune into something for escape (which a lot of people do)? We get these people flaunting their fantastic lives at us. And what does the average person have to do to be part of this, or if they're lonely and easily led? End up in loads of debt thanks to the "nice" people on screen who they talk to every now and again.

So, why do I watch QVC? Entertainment mainly - when I'm bored and there's nothing else on I can be bothered with. I take it for what it is.

But it's important to be able to question things we as viewers and customers don't agree with on any TV programme or channel, not just QVC. This forum's important as it has given people who have had exemplary (and not so exemplary) service from QVC to be able to state it. It has been a godsend for people who may not have the assertiveness to stand up for themselves to receive the help and support they needed to right what have been very nerve-wracking and expensive wrongs.

[/War & Peace] :whew:

Fab thread K. I am no moaning minnie but I do criticise certain things. I also e-mail the bbc when I am not happy with a certain prog. for many reasons and I also contact advertising standards to criticise adverts which are immoral or whatever. I have effected one being banned because it was derogatory to children. We are the people on our couches, we are not passive and if we do not criticise and become passive the beast(s) get bigger and we need to let them know their ivory towers are not indestructible. I am certainly not a revolting peasant but if they want to think of me that way, go ahead. I have standards. This world is not a nice place for children, they need ever more protecting. Vulnerable adults too. I am not looking for Utopia, well I am really, just people being treated fairly and not being taken for mugs. :flower::flower::flower:

(mum writes)

If they could go back to their old style of presentation, without the really hard sell and ego, I would have much less to moan about here. If they had more of the style of IW, it would be much better.

I'm not quite sure what the 'old style of presentation' is as I've only been watching and buying from QVC for about 5 years and have to say that apart from a few irritations (JF) I am a pretty satisfied customer. However, I hope they never adopt the IW style - I gave up on them about 4 years ago and have never watched or purchased from them since. Too many times bitten!!

i think that julia roberts is a good presenter. attractive (mostly) and very informative. but as much as she is one of my fav presenters she is quite boastfull and methinks gives away far too much personal information regarding family in paticular so much so it makes me sqirm.

example she said that her partner (they are not married) took many years to say that he loves her. does not buy her romantic gifts etc etc. i just thought that was too much information about her private life.

when her children were very small she would go on and on about her son being very blonde. as she is very dark she was obviously quite thankfull.i was not impressed. its shallow. now that sophie has come into her own and is very pretty she goes on about sophie still too much private information. until julia learns how to curb her exuberance she will continue to atrract negativity and i am one of her fans

in contrast jilly halliday. not one of my fav presenters. i find her quite boring to watch. she never inspires me. limited vocabulary.sometimes i think she would rather not be there. BUT she does not irritate folks on the forum.she really coasts. does her job and goes home.

Latest posts

Back