Yankee Candles TSV 18/10/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't think there would be more than a fraction of a penny per candle saving by using skinnier wicks so I doubt Yankee would do that to economise, especially if the burn is then compromised, people would complain and they would lose customers and reputation. Not worth it. Mind you, with QVC, you just never know - and they'll deny every accusation directed at them!

I lit the small jar of Macaron Treats the other night and it is struggling to pool - it has a tiny flame that looked like it was going to go out any second at first. It has improved but the wax is not pooling to the edge with ease. I am balancing a full-size Illuma-Lid on the top and it actually helps protect the flame so it looks less likely to die out! The wick doesn't seem particularly thin, though. I wondered if I was over-trimming the wick so am leaving it a mm or two longer on all the small jars now.

I love reading everyone's description of the fragrances. Now I love Spiced White Cocoa and don't like All Things Bright. I like more subtle fragrances as I have mild asthma and find the stronger fragrances affect me. Vanilla Bourbon is another that I like but its a last year fragrance so its not always available - Temptation Gifts still have it but I think it will eventually go, a bit like Salted Caramel.

I'm burning Gingerbread Maple and I like that too. Still it wouldn't do for all of us to like the same fragrances but its nice to read your descriptions and get a feel of the fragrance.

I loved the fragrance of Spiced White Cocoa on cold sniff (it sort of reminded me of Fireside Treats, which I love), but I absolutely hated it once it started burning. There was a definite bitter aspect that I just couldn't get away with unfortunately.
I am quite liking Crackling Wood Fire though, but it's not one that I'd repurchase either.

I loved the fragrance of Spiced White Cocoa on cold sniff (it sort of reminded me of Fireside Treats, which I love), but I absolutely hated it once it started burning. There was a definite bitter aspect that I just couldn't get away with unfortunately.
I am quite liking Crackling Wood Fire though, but it's not one that I'd repurchase either.

i am the same with all the ones i have burnt. thats the good thing its enough to get an idea and if is does not floor you with lusciousness then you won't have the need to invest in larger jars. win win

I'm VERY proud of myself I emerged from the Brent Cross YC shop empty handed despite several yummy fragrances and a 20% off promotion! They had a few I've not seen before and the incredibly dull IMO Whiskers on Kittens, Warm Woollen Mittens and Brown Paper Packages, so glad I didn't go for them!

I bought a small jar of yankee candle cuban mojito to burn in the kitchen. Just love it. Think I need to stock up. The small has burnt really well.

I'm VERY proud of myself I emerged from the Brent Cross YC shop empty handed despite several yummy fragrances and a 20% off promotion! They had a few I've not seen before and the incredibly dull IMO Whiskers on Kittens, Warm Woollen Mittens and Brown Paper Packages, so glad I didn't go for them!

Well done resisting. Mind you, 20% is not enough for me these days. It really has to be 40% or more. I hope Clinton's have the large jars half price in January again.

It seems that in the past year or so, a lot of the US specials that QVC gets as "exclusives", as well as ones they claim are made especially for them, are appearing shortly afterwards in Yankee stores. Has it always been the case or is it just people are posting more about visits to the shops on here?

Well done resisting. Mind you, 20% is not enough for me these days. It really has to be 40% or more. I hope Clinton's have the large jars half price in January again.

It seems that in the past year or so, a lot of the US specials that QVC gets as "exclusives", as well as ones they claim are made especially for them, are appearing shortly afterwards in Yankee stores. Has it always been the case or is it just people are posting more about visits to the shops on here?

I think it's more to do with the sketchy way QVC uses the term "exclusive" on some brands and items! It is often the case that things are exclusive to them for a limited period of time. Sometimes (eg: Kipling) the exclusive fabric is only exclusive on handbags (but you can see your exclusive rolling down the platform at a railway station in case form). So it could be exactly the same with YC... they are exclusive for a period of time. I notice that actually the YC shops and website often have US fragrances which do not appear on QVC, so the cosy YC-QVC relationship of yore has evolved as time goes on (and YC doesn't need QVC as badly for UK sales volume says the cynic in the corner).

I think it's more to do with the sketchy way QVC uses the term "exclusive" on some brands and items! It is often the case that things are exclusive to them for a limited period of time. Sometimes (eg: Kipling) the exclusive fabric is only exclusive on handbags (but you can see your exclusive rolling down the platform at a railway station in case form). So it could be exactly the same with YC... they are exclusive for a period of time. I notice that actually the YC shops and website often have US fragrances which do not appear on QVC, so the cosy YC-QVC relationship of yore has evolved as time goes on (and YC doesn't need QVC as badly for UK sales volume says the cynic in the corner).

I definitely agree with this. I don't think it's just my personal perception but candles generally have become more and more popular in the past few years, haven't they? Certainly more shops near me seem to sell candles and where the Yankee selection in my Clinton's and local department store were tiny, they're now much more substantial (oh, and Boots now have a decent choice). At the same time, I've noticed the QVC Yankees becoming less competitive. Yes, QVC still have some excellent offers but they're pretty rare for me, where in the past on a TSV day, I'd be considering at least a couple of other Q offers at very good prices.

I definitely agree with this. I don't think it's just my personal perception but candles generally have become more and more popular in the past few years, haven't they? Certainly more shops near me seem to sell candles and where the Yankee selection in my Clinton's and local department store were tiny, they're now much more substantial (oh, and Boots now have a decent choice). At the same time, I've noticed the QVC Yankees becoming less competitive. Yes, QVC still have some excellent offers but they're pretty rare for me, where in the past on a TSV day, I'd be considering at least a couple of other Q offers at very good prices.

I think one of the things YC can definitely thank QVC for is the platform that has made YC far more widely recognised than it was previously, and expanding the range and the demand for the US fragrances. Rosa, and Stephen, a big part of why YC have become so popular. But you are right, the scented candle market has grown out of all recognition when I look back a number of years to what was available. The quality, true-to-life, enduring scents weren't there originally, and now they are.

I think one of the things YC can definitely thank QVC for is the platform that has made YC far more widely recognised than it was previously, and expanding the range and the demand for the US fragrances. Rosa, and Stephen, a big part of why YC have become so popular. But you are right, the scented candle market has grown out of all recognition when I look back a number of years to what was available. The quality, true-to-life, enduring scents weren't there originally, and now they are.

also making quality scented candles more affordable. if you wanted fine candles with a good scent they were a lot more money than yankee candle. there really was only diptique and jo malone etc at prices that would mean candles were a one off treat not the every day staple they now are

anyone waiting for the advanced orders tsv will have to wait even longer than the suggested date...

I've just seen a proper TV advert for Yankee Candle! The Christmas Collection. It was on E4. I was just watching my recording of Made In Chelsea (I know! But my excuse is that I live in Putney so it is a local programme, LOL. Actually it's amazing how often they are totally OUT of Chelsea, even a nail bar in our High Street featured the other week, so it is good for local research!!!) and as I FF through the ads I was sure I saw a large jar. I had to RW to make sure.

I've just seen a proper TV advert for Yankee Candle! The Christmas Collection. It was on E4. I was just watching my recording of Made In Chelsea (I know! But my excuse is that I live in Putney so it is a local programme, LOL. Actually it's amazing how often they are totally OUT of Chelsea, even a nail bar in our High Street featured the other week, so it is good for local research!!!) and as I FF through the ads I was sure I saw a large jar. I had to RW to make sure.

I missed that ... not that I was watching (ahem). :blush:

It's funny when you see something "out of context", isn't it? I was watching an old series of Married at First Sight USA recently - obviously I was at a friend's house so I had no choice (ahem again) - and at least two of the couples had Yankees burning at some stage. I was desperately trying to see what fragrances. And I thought I was over the peak of my candle obsession!

Whenever I see a jar candle burning on the set of a US show, I have to check it out. And OMG, those candlelit vigils!! I scan them whenever they are on Law and Order etc.

Two cheap sets on Amazon at the moment if you agree £8.33 per jar is good and you like the selection. £49.99 inc P&P for six large jars or six World Journeys. See Yankee Deals thread in "Reasons Not To Shop With QVC", where I posted the offers yesterday.

oh no its smelling nice now. its taken several hours to kick in on day 3 its just coming out of its shell

I was going to say it could be because they're small jars but I still wouldn't expect the fragrance to take that long! And my small jars of Winter Glow and Lake Sunset were pretty strong. Must just be the tree one .... or you!!

Latest posts

Back