Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mask wearing on public transport was announced on the daily briefing this afternoon.

And over here at the start, they initially said masks should be worn if you have symptoms which makes no sense because if you have symptoms you shouldn’t be going out. No wonder we all get confused. 😳

Mask wearing on public transport was announced on the daily briefing this afternoon.

And over here at the start, they initially said masks should be worn if you have symptoms which makes no sense because if you have symptoms you shouldn’t be going out. No wonder we all get confused. 😳
It is a feature of this crisis that the clueless are being led by the marginally less clueless!

My gloves arrived and they fit, so that is a result.

Mayor Khan is claiming the face covering law is his big success, I gather. His only one then!!!! Thankfully scarves are still included rather than just the surgical ones. Assuming transport staff are prepared to police it, you can be fined for refusing. Funny how no-one enforces social distancing laws when faced with thousands of protesters and sunbathers. But I imagine pensioners on their own on the bus will ge fair game. Sorry, I feel a bit annoyed!

I am also quite annoyed that we have been told not to clap tonight; this is to be an annual event ONLY and the next one is 25/03/21. Apparently the originator (I believe) felt it had become political and patronising. Well bah humbug to that. I was merely being appreciative. Gosh I seem to have got a strop on tonight..... ALcohol!!!!

Mazza I didn’t clap because it started just after the stockpiling when there were numerous incidents where NHS staff were in tears because after long shifts there wasn’t a lettuce leaf left for them to buy because many of those very same clappers had been in and stockpiled. Also felt that the SM (being SEEN out ) was more important than actually doing something to help or at very least keeping to SD and lockdown thereby ensuring they didn’t have to deal with more ill people than was totally necessary.

Sorry, I’m sure that wasn’t your thoughts but I’m sure that a large percentage of those packed onto beaches were out clapping like kippers and praising themselves for doing so.

Sorry it’s a bit of a thing with me! Rant over!

Interesting LATI, my HCA daughter had just finished a 13 hour shift on her ward that first night and was exhausted and worried, as she sat to eat her 'tea', I said 'listen to the clapping, that's for you' and she was so upset by it, she said 'what good is that going to do?' I said 'it's a thankyou for what you are doing'. It took a few weeks for her to come round but on principle, she didn't like it much and there were a few work colleagues who felt the same. She just wanted more and felt clapping was insignificant.

I didn't really agree with her because I could see that at least it was some thanks but it took me a long time to come close to her level of thinking but in the end saw some sense in it. Mixed feelings on it all tbh, I just don't want the NHS to be forgotten and taken for granted again but totally love the recognition and appreciation they got with the clapping. We are a family of 5 adults, 2 in the NHS, who all had covid and I nearly ended up in hospital, the NHS workers have only had time off while they had covid. My HCA daughter still struggles with coughing, has worked on non IC covid wards since, gets the antibody test next week with the comment 'it doesn't show you are immune' and works like a dog. I have to have health tests soon to see if the covid had affected other parts of my body cause I had a blood test 3 weeks after having it due to being ill that I thought wasn't anthing to do with the covid. Doc wanted to check my cancer hadn't come back and it hadn't THANKFULLY. I was told though, it's the covid, you still are suffering and I'm over it for now so will ait and see if I have any repercussions.

I wont
From 15th June it’s going to be mandatory to wear face masks on public transport.

This will make no difference to me because I haven’t been on a bus since my son was 2 years old, haven’t been on a train since he was 8 and haven’t flown since 2004. Thank goodness I have a car!
No I won't be going on a bus anytime soon, neither will I be going to the shops. I have an online delivery every Friday and am enjoying the savings with not going out. I do miss coffee and lunch with friends on a monthly or so basis. My friend saw a neighbour wearing a mask to mow the lawn.?

On the question of gloves, you are supposed to change them so much to avoid cross contamination so seems to be a waste to use them imo.

………. I have to have health tests soon to see if the covid had affected other parts of my body cause I had a blood test 3 weeks after having it due to being ill that I thought wasn't anything to do with the covid. Doc wanted to check my cancer hadn't come back and it hadn't THANKFULLY. I was told though, it's the covid, you still are suffering and I'm over it for now so will ait and see if I have any repercussions.

Did you have any muscle aches/pains/stiffness? Or a rash? Or shivery chills?

Oh I really dont have a problem with people not clapping or not sharing my opinion on it. No clap-shaming from me, honest guv. But we liked it in our block and the two doctors always joined in and said they appreciated it. It also fostered a bit of community spirit in our road which is another positive. Once I went over to shout greetings at an elderly couple and another chap I had never spoken to before said he was doing their shopping in his delivery and offered to include stuff for me if needed. Now that would never normally have happened so I felt it was a lovely side effect of the Clap. Still I checked and there was nobody out tonight.

Last edited:
Oh I really dont have a problem with people not clapping or not sharing my opinion on it. No clap-shaming from me, honest guv. But we liked it in our block and the two doctors always joined in and said they appreciated it. It also fostered a bit of community spirit in our road which is another positive. Still I checked and there was nobody out tonight.

Same here. Some clapped, some didn’t, and for all sorts of different reasons on both sides.

I guess you liked it as it was a good workout for your big old hands, Mazza (like me!) :love:

Oh I really dont have a problem with people not clapping or not sharing my opinion on it. No clap-shaming from me, honest guv. But we liked it in our block and the two doctors always joined in and said they appreciated it. It also fostered a bit of community spirit in our road which is another positive. Once I went over to shout greetings at an elderly couple and another chap I had never spoken to before said he was doing their shopping in his delivery and offered to include stuff for me if needed. Now that would never normally have happened so I felt it was a lovely side effect of the Clap. Still I checked and there was nobody out tonight.

I'm of the generation when a side effect of the clap meant something totally different :LOL:

Did you have any muscle aches/pains/stiffness? Or a rash? Or shivery chills?
I had muscle aches and chills yes - the breathlessness was so random, four times I couldn't breath properly and was so close to ringing an ambulance but I got through. For me it was temperature, cough, the aforementioned breathlessness, exhaustion, all of us got loss of taste, my HCA gal got that for 2 weeks too on top of her chronic cough. My after affect was chronic diarrhea, sorry if too much information, had it for over 3 weeks. Being in the slightly vunerable group I was terrified of getting CV but I am now glad I HAD it.

My neighbour is a jazz musician and plays jazz with the clapping!! I have noticed its getting less and less the clapping. I am angry as my daughter was a NHS Dr for many years and her wages after paying back her uni fees etc were a pittance.

The three neighbours in our street that come out with their pans are the same ones who are constantly flouting lockdown rules (not to mention many other rules regarding benefits etc.). They also shame the non-clappers on FB as I found out a few days after I'd not clapped as I'd been ill all day. A friend text me to ask if anyone else had mentioned it. I had no idea as I'm not on FB.

It shouldn't bother me what these people thing and I don't really care. I just get really ****** annoyed!

Now they're recommending masks after telling us all they were unnecessary (I suspect just to keep health workers supplied), I wonder how many deaths could have been prevented if we'd ALL worn them from the start? It must help a little bit at least surely?

I'm mightily pissed off that my niece's partner has been unable to get hold of his regular dust masks from Screwfix etc. as they've been kept for NHS. He works in demolition and has been expected to work in dusty areas - some with suspected asbestos - without masks as his boss can't get them. He's been re-using the same one for weeks, carefully cleaning it off and airing it overnight. Apparently lots of people in the building and manufacturing industries that would normally have to wear masks for their health have been going without so it's not just the Care sector.

One last thing before we get back to stockpiling - how are the people who ordered Dew liking it?

Latest posts

Back