Alison Young Appreciation Thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
She once stated that she doesn't like cats.
Alison doesn't seem to be a fan of children either.:drunk:
15_5_18.gif

When I first started watching QVC back in 1997, I really enjoyed watching Alison. She was fun had a laugh and even answered questions if you phoned them in. When she went on holiday(ski one of course as she hated the sun), we all went when is Alison back its so boring without her. She was always saying, I told QVC we need this brand and advised them to get it. L'Occitane was one of them, she worked for Decelor as a trainer and swore by them.

Alas time passed and she has now fallen into the dreaded which celeb uses the product as a selling point. That is not professional pushing something because X Y or Z are suppose to use it. Every brand sold on QVC is the best even though she has no imput in what they chose to sell now. Remember the years she never appeared on Liz Earle shows and insisted in quietly mentioning if C&P was raved about by a TCaller, really wiping that cleanser off your eyes with a cloth gave you wrinkles. She was old school you had to use a seperate eye makeup remover, Gatineau was the choice. Now she sits with Liz(one of QVC's biggest selling ranges), smiles and tells us how wonder it is. Loads of the beauty shows are now sponsored by Woman magazine or Woman and Home so its usually lead by advertising.

You will never get a totally honest opinion from Alison because if QVC don't sell she won't tell you about it. Think Prescriptives SLP. When Prescriptives first appeared on QVC we suddenly discovered Alison had used it since it first came out.

I so remember her saying over and over in shows. We only bring you the items from each range we consider the best. Thats why not everything from one range will be on QVC. Now TSVs always include a new launch, I doubt this has been cherry picked by Alison but is just a selling point. Its new not even in the shops we have it, you must buy it.

The thing that really made me stop watching her, yes I don't watch if I can help it. Usually flicking round in the ad breaks from other shows I catch her. Is the whole Lulu thing, which is totaly sicking to watch. Its not about Alison and her honest opinions of the range but laying down and rolling over to please Lulu.

we must never forget that alison is a sales person and always has been. she has a job to do plain and simple.

maybe she could pick and choose brands back in the day but now she cant.
its a bit romantic to say that anyone is impartial when it comes to selling anything from insurance to skincare.its life.

by and large alison does a good job.:up2:

There is an excellent moderator on here by the name of Sazza, and she will decide what is allowed and disallowed on threads, and she will always step in if things get out of hand or something offensive is said. Just as people popped onto the thread against Alison Young, so too will people pop on here to state their opinion, and, as it's a forum and not a fanclub, that is how it should be. As to Mrs James not posting her pithy comments, I think you will find that she is one of the most popular members of the shopping telly community, and if she stopped posting this would be a much duller place. If you don't like people having opinions, don't join a forum, and don't tell people what they can and cannot post on an open thread.

So sorry I am only a junior member & obviously do not know my place.
I didn't realise you had to be popular before posting.
I shall seek guidance from popular people first before inflicting my opinion on others.

I see this thread is still going strong and am very disappointed. Certain people can't seem to be able to say anything nice about anyone on here now !

I spend less and less time on here now with all the bickering and sniping that goes on against presenters, guest presenters etc. I only come on to check on my favourite shows, (Honora, SW Silver, OPI and LD) then don't come back for a while.

I only have one thing to say now though. If you can't say anything nice about someone then please just don't say anything at all !

This thread was supposed to be an Alison appreciation thread but it's gone the same way as all the rest go now. I think she does a wonderful job helping us to decide which products to use. She's introduced us to lots of products we would never have known about and I actually prefer her doing the shows I like to any of the other female presenters.

Rant over ! :whew2:

Please close this.

Llloyd, don't misinterpret peoples opinions. That is why iclaudipuss responded, to make it clear that all opinions are welcome. Even though yours is a bit cynical, I never-the-less welcome it as much as someone who has been on the forum since day one...hang around and you'll soon get a feel for the way people respond. You'll not always agree with what is said but please respect all the views that are posted :). It's the mods who decide what's acceptable, not us (thank goodness) :grin:.

There is an excellent moderator on here by the name of Sazza, and she will decide what is allowed and disallowed on threads, and she will always step in if things get out of hand or something offensive is said. Just as people popped onto the thread against Alison Young, so too will people pop on here to state their opinion, and, as it's a forum and not a fanclub, that is how it should be. As to Mrs James not posting her pithy comments, I think you will find that she is one of the most popular members of the shopping telly community, and if she stopped posting this would be a much duller place. If you don't like people having opinions, don't join a forum, and don't tell people what they can and cannot post on an open thread.

Sazza is, no doubt, an excellent moderator - and I agree that people should post as they please, within reason, but this thread is an appreciation thread not a 'criticise Alison once again' thread. Totally agree with Sue. Ive been lurking on this forum for years and it seems to be more about 'who can we jump on today' rather than actually being informative and fun.

If you want to bitch about Alison Young do it on another thread. This is one for people who appreciate Alison!

Llloyd, don't misinterpret peoples opinions. That is why iclaudipuss responded, to make it clear that all opinions are welcome. Even though yours is a bit cynical, I never-the-less welcome it as much as someone who has been on the forum since day one...hang around and you'll soon get a feel for the way people respond. You'll not always agree with what is said but please respect all the views that are posted :). It's the mods who decide what's acceptable, not us (thank goodness) :grin:.

Cynical:cynical adj. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others.
A bit strong me thinks.
However, thanks for your honest opinion.
Wouldn't do for us all to like the same things would it?
Must try to be nicer, although raging menopausal hormones do tend to get in the way.

Yes, and terminal cancer gets in my way. This is a forum, and is, therefore, open to ALL opinions, and is not policed by people deciding what will and will not appear on a thread. If a thread goes into dubious territory Sazza will intervene and/or close it, so leave the moderating job to the moderator, and if you can't accept that people have different opinions to yours, don't join a forum in the first place.

Joined today.

I like Alison Young - she knows lots of stuff (way more than me) on skin care.

I don't think it's necessarily just a question of different opinions but it certainly makes for uncomfortable reading if an "Appreciation Thread" (ie positive posts) is affected by those who make negative comments and then say it's OK as it's just their view.

It appears aggressive to the OP (who by the way has disappeared, maybe due to the negative reactions)

So sorry I am only a junior member & obviously do not know my place.
I didn't realise you had to be popular before posting.
I shall seek guidance from popular people first before inflicting my opinion on others.

:23: Off Topic

If you want to bitch about Alison Young do it on another thread. This is one for people who appreciate Alison!

AY is a highly successful saleswoman :grin:

Thank you. That's why I started it. To have somehere to go to hear about the positives about Alison, as I like the woman and find her helpful. I just get bored with the criticising to be honest. I avoid what I think are nasty threads. Why is the other thread about Alison not enough for criticism of her? Why come here to delibrately be negative when the title is appreciation? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you. That's why I started it. To have somehere to go to hear about the positives about Alison, as I like the woman and find her helpful. I just get bored with the criticising to be honest. I avoid what I think are nasty threads. Why is the other thread about Alison not enough for criticism of her? Why come here to delibrately be negative when the title is appreciation? Doesn't make sense to me.

Just as some people posted positively about Alison Young on the other thread, so too will people post opposing views on this one, that is the nature of a public forum which represents the whole gamut of opinion. I'm glad that you like and appreciate Ms. Young, and have read all the posts with interest, whether they are in favour or not. The point of my contribution to the thread was in response to people being told not to post differing views on here, it is for the moderator to make such decisions, no one else. The majority of my posts about presenters are light-hearted, and I never get into personal territory about someone's appearance/weight etc, as I am not comfortable doing that, but I know that others think it's fair game. Thankfully, I don't have to decide what is and isn't acceptable, and I trust the mod's decisions implicitly.

I have to say I like her. I know she is a saleperson...and I cannot tell you how much I have bought and should not have...but that was me and my mistake...and looking back, I know it was a lot to do with there I was in my life....but, there are things that I do find interesting about her and I love the fact that she genuinely loves products...I have a similar love for them...could easily talk for hours about the best products that I have used, would recommend, would use again, and which I don't or wouldn't. for all her faults, I really feel that she approaches her job with that similar attitude and she loves products.

There are always new things to learn and new ranges to try out. I do not think there is any malice in her approach or her focus on certain ranges, I think it is just a lack of confidence in some of them, and huge love of others...and it must be quite difficult for her in that respect..it is not like presenting cooks essentials or northern nights (at least it would not be for me) I cannot explain it, but for me, it is not the same and I could imagine it is quite difficult to present products that she does not know or love. Yes, it is part of her job, but I think she does her job because it is her love, and she is genuinely in love with what she does...

Basically, for all her faults, I can relate to her. I hope I am not quite as insecure...but then I doubt I would be able to present a tv show so it all works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back