Alison Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We've found trouble getting certain medication now.
Statins not always available in certain mg and have to go back to surgery to get another prescription for the amounts they have.
Eye drops for dry eyes unavailable,hubby still waiting for surgery/eye clinic to sort something out.
For some reason Boots don't sell Germoline anymore.
There’s often a shortage of a particular drug I’m on so carer goes to Pharamcy to collect only to be told no stock in…

Then I have get a new prescription from GP for a different dosage of the same drug - even though it adds up to the same daily amount - and she has to go back again next week…

More recently, there’s a shortage of the type of morphine I’m on.
Still not got last month’s prescription - they gave us an IOU but there is no date for stock to come in.

Occasionally another pharmacy will have stock of a certain missing med, but often not. That’s when I panic!

I use eye drops for dry eyes and visco-tears and not had any issues with those, so hope your surgery can sort him something asap x

I am on a number of different meds. My nasal inhaler Avmys totally unavailable since June, chemist phoned around with no luck. Trying to convince my doctor's surgery they needed to change to a different one, nightmare. Problem Avmys comes in 27 micro, but the others are all 50 micro, finally got it changed. Lucky, I had a spare Avmys. My asthma inhaler, the most common one 100 unable to get and even different brand, the 100 very hard to find it did get sorted out, but I was freaking over it.

I have recently had to go on a different statin, some years back my liver when nuts, doctor so disappointed it was not alcohol seems a few glasses of wine a week not the cause. So I had to stop the statins, and it took two years for my liver to come back to normal. But because of family history of strokes, I have to be on them. So they found one which was okay but a few times I got phone calls about upping the dose the moment I mentioned the liver, OH no we cannot. I have been for MRIs for my liver to check and have to go every 3 months for bloods. Now, recently they did change to the newest one and according to the chemist, most expensive statin. I said, oh, exciting. Rostatin (sp) Only gave me a week before bloods to check my liver was okay with it.

My chemist who collects my prescriptions has a notice up saying Please understand there is a shortage of medications. We cannot help this.

I can't take statins or blood thinners (I'm allergic to all sorts) and years ago a doctor advised me to buy Benecol or similar cholesterol-lowering mini drinks every day. I asked her if they work and she said yes, they do. It adds an extra £3-4 a week onto the grocery shop but I budget for this and it seems to be working enough to keep a different doctor happy. Maybe a thought for anyone in a similar position? I buy Morrisons/Sainsburys/Lidl/aldi's own brands or occasionally Benecol which is dearer.

I had terrible stomach problems in the past and must have had every single ant acid drug prescribed that's known to man. Someone suggested taking Yakkult every day so I tried that and it seems to keep the stomach on an even keel. Like Mina says, it adds a bit on to your shopping every week but if it works it's well worth it.

As for the Alison Young gender nonsense. Maybe if we DID vote with our feet and her sales dropped she might change her tune. I mean she can think what she likes but she doesn't have to throw it at viewers every time she opens her mouth.

CC

I am on a number of different meds. My nasal inhaler Avmys totally unavailable since June, chemist phoned around with no luck. Trying to convince my doctor's surgery they needed to change to a different one, nightmare. Problem Avmys comes in 27 micro, but the others are all 50 micro, finally got it changed. Lucky, I had a spare Avmys. My asthma inhaler, the most common one 100 unable to get and even different brand, the 100 very hard to find it did get sorted out, but I was freaking over it.

I have recently had to go on a different statin, some years back my liver when nuts, doctor so disappointed it was not alcohol seems a few glasses of wine a week not the cause. So I had to stop the statins, and it took two years for my liver to come back to normal. But because of family history of strokes, I have to be on them. So they found one which was okay but a few times I got phone calls about upping the dose the moment I mentioned the liver, OH no we cannot. I have been for MRIs for my liver to check and have to go every 3 months for bloods. Now, recently they did change to the newest one and according to the chemist, most expensive statin. I said, oh, exciting. Rostatin (sp) Only gave me a week before bloods to check my liver was okay with it.

My chemist who collects my prescriptions has a notice up saying Please understand there is a shortage of medications. We cannot help this.
I use that one and have no issues getting it.

The problem is the slim people are also getting it to get slimmer:rolleyes: I blame the Kardashian,s and celebs who are all supposed to be on it. People tell lies to get their hands on it hence the shortages.
Surely the manufacturers have a role to play here, by side lining the NHS for the 'private buyers'. The Nhs are their cash cow -they should treat it better.

I can't take statins or blood thinners (I'm allergic to all sorts) and years ago a doctor advised me to buy Benecol or similar cholesterol-lowering mini drinks every day. I asked her if they work and she said yes, they do. It adds an extra £3-4 a week onto the grocery shop but I budget for this and it seems to be working enough to keep a different doctor happy. Maybe a thought for anyone in a similar position? I buy Morrisons/Sainsburys/Lidl/aldi's own brands or occasionally Benecol which is dearer.
I think these helped my Mom too.

I’m surprised Christmas has not been replaced with Wokeness no wonder this country is in such a mess,with a constant driven agenda on the media,now a shopping tv tat seller with a captive audience is blatant in her distain for her customer values. 😤

I wonder why there are drug shortages? They had no problem getting the Covid vax :unsure:
I think this may be in part a postcode lottery?
With the different NHS bodies and big group pharmacies vs small groups vs independents I could see it being inconsistent across the UK. If the different NHS bodies negotiate as on for the price and supply of medication, there should be no incentive to prioritise one over the other. If they all negotiate separately then I suppose the drug companies could favour the one with the smallest discount, unless it is much smaller volumes.

Surely the manufacturers have a role to play here, by side lining the NHS for the 'private buyers'. The Nhs are their cash cow -they should treat it better.
That is not how it works. Manufacturers generally don't supply NHS directly. Pharmacies get their stock from various pharmaceutical suppliers/warehouses, neither the pharmacies or the suppliers are part of NHS, they are businesses in their own right.

I had terrible stomach problems in the past and must have had every single ant acid drug prescribed that's known to man. Someone suggested taking Yakkult every day so I tried that and it seems to keep the stomach on an even keel. Like Mina says, it adds a bit on to your shopping every week but if it works it's well worth it.

As for the Alison Young gender nonsense. Maybe if we DID vote with our feet and her sales dropped she might change her tune. I mean she can think what she likes but she doesn't have to throw it at viewers every time she opens her mouth.

CC
I have IBS , have used Actimel but the best probiotic I use now is Starpowa gut bacteria, it’s been superb.
When you have IBS you get a bit obsessed with how often you go, now I worry no more.
Menopause has definitely affected my gut.

Interesting to read about taking probiotic drinks/yoghurt for lowering cholesterol.
Last time I had a blood test the nurse practitioner made noises about prescribing statins. I refused to have them, having heard that they can cause muscle aches and pains. Everything hurts as it is, I don’t need more aches.
Never given Yakult etc a thought, but I will now.

Interesting to read about taking probiotic drinks/yoghurt for lowering cholesterol.
Last time I had a blood test the nurse practitioner made noises about prescribing statins. I refused to have them, having heard that they can cause muscle aches and pains. Everything hurts as it is, I don’t need more aches.
Never given Yakult etc a thought, but I will now.
Porridge is good for lowering cholesterol apparently.

She is looking better for sure
If she’s being paid to push this then .. that would be a great incentive lol
Even so health is important when it comes to weight
Good luck to her 👍

I would advise anyone thinking of using probiotics to do some research. Just because you can buy stuff in the supermarket doesn't make it wholly safe. It had a detrimental effect on me and after reading around, I discovered I wasn't alone. Infact, I was quite shocked that you can buy the stuff so freely.

Probiotics and cholesterol-lowering drinks are two different things but I agree, do your research. I can only speak for the effect they have on me since as I said, I can't take other meds so with me, it's last chance saloon.

Latest posts

Back